4th preseason game and our struggling offense

StoneCold

Reaction score
With the way they've played so far, including Russell, I'd like to see them get more snaps in the 4th game. I know it's not usual, but they seem to need the work. Dumbest idea in the world?

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":7po6v0yb said:
StoneCold":7po6v0yb said:
With the way they've played so far, including Russell, I'd like to see them get more snaps in the 4th game. I know it's not usual, but they seem to need the work. Dumbest idea in the world?

Yeah, senseless risk, IMO. The offense will be okay, trust me.

In my art studio I'm preparing a giant I told you so to al the people who say "Don't worry"!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I wish they'd just play Archer the whole game and have Daniels as the emergency QB. But they will probably play the 1's for a quarter.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I appreciate the sentiment, but the risks outweigh any benefit.

horns_n_hawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":282szk2n said:
I wish they'd just play Archer the whole game and have Daniels as the emergency QB. But they will probably play the 1's for a quarter.

This. Don't risk anyone and let all the vets with 'sore' this or that rest and get ready for StL. Take 60 minutes to really evaluate the bottom of the roster.

kearly

Reaction score
There's a tiny bit of risk of course, but I get what the OP is saying. If Seattle finds a way to lose in week 1, it will be because Wilson is still too rusty. There's definitely some benefit to the prospect of having your QB shake off that rust before week one.

I would be surprised if Wilson plays more than a series or two though. I think if Pete felt that dramatic measures were needed we would know it by now.

Decimation

Reaction score
I don't think it would be a very good idea. Let the starters get the rest they need for week one instead of risking injury on a game that doesn't count should be the consensus opinion.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
They'll give the starters 1 series. I'd rather have no injuries and look forward to the Rams than play with fire. Long season ahead to iron out the wrinkles. Once Beast Mode plays the hole game and the RW to JG connection is on the same page, we'll be fine.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
StoneCold":1r1ng82i said:

I don't disagree with this at all. This whole guys could get injured stuff is weak. So it is safer to play a player during the regular season?? Our line needs seasoning and the only way to get it is to play. I agree with your sentiment 100%. Injuries are a product of lack of repetitions (lack of conditioning), not too many preseason games. The players wanted an easier training camp and are paying the price for it. I am much more worried about injures late in the season.

Our line needs to play and why not let them play extended series on Friday. They need the unity and reps.. Love this idea. :th2thumbs:

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":216e7x7m said:

If the Hawks follow the OP's suggestion they will only play Wilson a series.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Wilson won't play much but starters outside of Okung on the offensive line should play a bunch.

In fact, Gilliam, Britt and unidentified Center should play most of the game.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I made a comment on my concern that Wilson was left in the last game too long for my taste.

You could go either way here. In that last game, to that point, Wilson had something like 35 yards. So you have to get them some time under live fire because you need to be acclimated to game speed before the games start for real.

BUT

We have a patchwork offensive line.

And we have a QB that likes to hold the ball a bit longer than most, because of his mobility and perhaps because our receivers don't tend to separate well.

That combination means a lot of potential for free rushers to get shots at the QB.

So the question is:

Do you want your QB more game ready but a much higher potential chance of getting injured OR do you want to wait it out and deal with the reality that your offense will probably be rusty for a few games? (This is important because without Kam we might not have the ability to just hold a team down until we can get our legs under our offense in the final half).

I was upset because Wilson was still playing after the half, knowing that with the craptacular line play there was a much higher injury risk. But then again, Wilson needed the reps so I guess Pete decided we had to roll the dice. It worked out in that instance.

I am still baffled that a team that depends so much on the health of the QB would put such a collection of thrown together odds & ends at the line, with the hope it can keep things together - knowing what is at stake. But as Bobby Wagner said, "You can't keep everybody." and you cannot be strong at everything. We apparently made a strategic decision to starve the line in order to feed other parts of the team.

So I don't know anymore. Pete has earned our trust at this point but it is tough looking at the production this preseason and expecting some magical change once the real games start. Even worse is knowing how important Wilson is, and how his resources to protect him seem barely adequate.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Mojambo":1izjpklh said:
Wilson won't play much but starters outside of Okung on the offensive line should play a bunch.

In fact, Gilliam, Britt and unidentified Center should play most of the game.
^^^^^^This

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If last year is any indication, Wilson played one drive and was done.

Granted our offense was clicking much better last preseason than they are now so will be interesting