Last receiver spot...

jake206

Reaction score
Kevin Smith or Kasen Williams or someone else...

Rob12

Reaction score
It will be Kasen or Kevin. IMO, those are the two finalists.

Whoever has a better game in two days will likely win the spot. I think both of them would do a great job for us, but neither one could likely be stashed on the practice squad.

I'd lean Kasen at this point, because I think he's the more physical receiver with the higher ceiling.

It's going to be interesting to see which one grabs that final spot.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards BJ. Don't know how much he can contribute as a receiver at this point, but I get the sense the staff really likes him and want to add his versatility to the active roster. Williams and Smith seem kinda JAG-ey to me, but it's tough to tell what they have not being privy to practices and with the O struggling during the games.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":119wzzet said:
I'm leaning towards BJ. Don't know how much he can contribute as a receiver at this point, but I get the sense the staff really likes him and want to add his versatility to the active roster. Williams and Smith seem kinda JAG-ey to me, but it's tough to tell what they have not being privy to practices and with the O struggling during the games.

Its funny you say that b/c I have the opposite reaction. I feel that BJ is a jack of all but master of none type of player. IMO, he hasn't shown much except being average at multiple positions. Whereas I feel that Williams and Smith, have one or two outstanding qualities like speed or YAC ability.

Rob12

Reaction score
I could see Daniels, but I don't think it's likely. He does have a bit more versatility but he has a long way to go as a receiver. He's dropped some easy passes in camp and in preseason games, and you simply can't do that when you're just a guy trying to squeeze onto the 53. He hasn't been impressive on returns, and I don't think he's impressive as a quarterback. He is a great athlete and will likely somehow find a way to have a fairly respectful NFL career, but the upside of Williams and Smith is much higher, and this is a team that needs sure fire receivers who can aid Russ in the passing game.

Just my two cents.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Rob12":1l25qht2 said:
I could see Daniels, but I don't think it's likely. He does have a bit more versatility but he has a long way to go as a receiver. He's dropped some easy passes in camp and in preseason games, and you simply can't do that when you're just a guy trying to squeeze onto the 53. He hasn't been impressive on returns, and I don't think he's impressive as a quarterback. He is a great athlete and will likely somehow find a way to have a fairly respectful NFL career, but the upside of Williams and Smith is much higher, and this is a team that needs sure fire receivers who can aid Russ in the passing game.

Just my two cents.

I think BJ is gone and its Williams or Smith as well. I lean towards Williams, like his size, physical style and catch radius

gonzhawk

Reaction score
I wonder if this discussion really even includes Daniels if wasn't a possible QB back up.

It seems clear to me that the UW receivers are superior and another project, on a different position group, who is not remotely remarkable makes that a clear decision here.

Rob12

Reaction score
McGruff":1hshlu4o said:
It will be Kasen AND Kevin. No Daniels, No Lockette.

I'd be good with that.

I like Lockette... I just don't think he brings enough at this point. But then again, I'm a guy that admittedly doesn't always see the value in great ST coverage. The Rocket has been awesome in that regard, minus the lapses in stupid penalties at times.

McGruff

Reaction score
Rob12":3c6sc3qo said:
McGruff":3c6sc3qo said:

I'd be good with that.

I like Lockette... I just don't think he brings enough at this point. But then again, I'm a guy that admittedly doesn't always see the value in great ST coverage. The Rocket has been awesome in that regard, minus the lapses in stupid penalties at times.

We have lots of good upside special teams without Lockette.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
jake206":9na67lxw said:
HuskerHawk":9na67lxw said:

Its funny you say that b/c I have the opposite reaction. I feel that BJ is a jack of all but master of none type of player. IMO, he hasn't shown much except being average at multiple positions. Whereas I feel that Williams and Smith, have one or two outstanding qualities like speed or YAC ability.
I think you would be correct on paper or as a projection of their respective strengths, but I just haven't seen enough of it in the games, and certainly not against any great competition. Again, they may show more in practice that I can't comment on. As for BJ, he does have one great strength, two actually, great athleticism and the aforementioned versatility. Just today Irvin said BJ was probably the second best athlete on the whole team, and I think he's shown glimpses of that, albeit very unrefined glimpses, in the preseason. While he's certainly had his hiccups, I'd say he's looked decent at a position he's hardly ever played before. He's garnered quite a few targets; just off the top of my head, more than Williams or Smith. That tells me his winning his matchup and getting open. There's potential there imo.

Also, if we're including Lockette in this conversation, I'm going with him. I don't think he's very good, but I just don't see him getting cut. He's like Kearse. Coaches like him, Russ likes him, he's staying.

Rob12

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":3rrn9tp0 said:
jake206":3rrn9tp0 said:
HuskerHawk":3rrn9tp0 said:

I think you would be correct on paper or as a projection of their respective strengths, but I just haven't seen enough of it in the games, and certainly not against any great competition. Again, they may show more in practice that I can't comment on. As for BJ, he does have one great strength, two actually, great athleticism and the aforementioned versatility. Just today Irvin said BJ was probably the second best athlete on the whole team, and I think he's shown glimpses of that, albeit very unrefined glimpses, in the preseason. While he's certainly had his hiccups, I'd say he's looked decent at a position he's hardly ever played before. He's garnered quite a few targets; just off the top of my head, more than Williams or Smith. That tells me his winning his matchup and getting open. There's potential there imo.

Also, if we're including Lockette in this conversation, I'm going with him. I don't think he's very good, but I just don't see him getting cut. He's like Kearse. Coaches like him, Russ likes him, he's staying.

Williams just hasn't gotten the looks. On balls thrown to him, he has looked legit. He had the big 22-yard catch last week. It just doesn't help when you have Archer throwing you the rock behind an offensive offensive line.

Daniels has looked pretty good in his transition to receiver, but not great. He's dropped some very catchable balls. And on a team that is sitting pretty okay at the position, is that enough? His ceiling as a receiver, IMO, is low. Williams and Smith provide more than that.

Seafan

Reaction score
It's possible the team only keeps 5 WRs and goes with extra CBs or RBs to start the season.

Kevin Smith seems to be the winner if they do keep 6 WRs. Williams and Daniels can likely sneak onto the PS.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The problem with losing TJack this preseason is that evaluating these receivers has largely been impossible. We're evaluating Kasen based on two short catches and Kevin Smith based mostly on returns. Other than that, it comes down to what people might've heard or seen in training camp, but that stuff doesn't necessarily translate. Unless guys are running wide open on the all-22 and not getting passes, there's not much to go off of. This is likely going to be a gut-feeling/needs-based decision unless someone goes off against Oakland (but w/ Archer QBing? ...nah). I could see Kevin or BJ getting the spot based on their return ability, though Kasen brings something unique to the corps in terms of physicality.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
A lot of people are assuming Ricardo Lockette is a lock it seems.

Seahawks could carry 5 but will probably carry 6.

Purely spectulative but I think these are the chances for each WR to make the roster.

Doug Baldwin 100%
Tyler Lockett 100%
Jermaine Kearse 90%
Chris Matthews 75%
BJ Daniels 60% (50% as a WR, +10 QB exp)
Ricardo Lockette 50%
Kevin Smith 50%
Kasen Williams 50%

Theres a small chance that Matthews could not make it, and an ever smaller chance Kearse doesnt but I wouldnt bet against it.

So that leaves roughly 4 WRs battling for (at least) 1 (most likely) 2 spots. Each one building a case over the other.

5'11, 215 Daniels: Versatility- WR, QB exp, ST potential, upside, 3 yrs of club control (including RFA season).

6'2, 210 Lockette: elite Speed, Length, Size, plus Blocking, ST Ace, Familarity, subpar WR with very limited upside, 1 yr of club control

5'11, 205 Kevin Smith: plus Quickness, Jack of all trades, potential ST ACE, upside, 4 yrs of club control (inc. RFA season)

6'2, 215 Kasen Williams: plus Size, Length, plus Athleticism, elite Blocking potential, ST potential, upside, 4 yrs of club control (inc. RFA season)

It almost looks like it could be:

BJ Daniels vs Kevin Smith for 1 spot.

And

Ricardo Lockette vs Kasen Williams for the other.

kf3339

Reaction score
McGruff":1ejd02yr said:

I'm kinda thinking the same thing as well.

two dog

Reaction score
They won't be able to sneak Kasen Williams through waivers. Somebody will nab him.
Too much size, athletic ability and potential to go unnoticed. In an unusual situation
this year there are teams more WR needy than the Seahawks and the NFL has a
very well developed grapevine.

They might be able to get Kevin Smith onto the practice squad. That means B.J. is
probably the odd man out because they won't let Lockette go. He is too valuable as
a Special Teams gunner and sometimes catches a pass when you least expect it.

two dog

Reaction score
They won't be able to sneak Kasen Williams through waivers. Somebody will nab him.
Too much size, athletic ability and potential to go unnoticed. In an unusual situation
this year there are teams more WR needy than the Seahawks and the NFL has a
very well developed grapevine.

They might be able to get Kevin Smith onto the practice squad. That means B.J. is
probably the odd man out because they won't let Lockette go. He is too valuable as
a Special Teams gunner and sometimes catches a pass when you least expect it.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Even though I was one of the biggest advocates for Lockette at the start of camp I'm actually having a bit of a hard time seeing him make the roster. His ST ability has been covered up well so far by guys like Matthews, KPL, Marsh and Coyle to name a few. In the receiving game I haven't seen him add anything substantial in previous seasons and he hasn't shown much signs of improvement either. I think Kasen will beat him out for a roster spot, he looks a lot better already and just looks to have a much higher ceiling as well. I like the kid.

For the other spot it'll come down to Daniels vs Smith as they are both similar players. Their size, speed and general play style seem similar. It'll depend on what the Hawks are looking for here. Do they want versatility or talent? Smith has looked better so far as a returner than Daniels, so I'd prefer to have him as Lockett's back up. In the offense I also definitely have to give the edge to Kevin. The big upside Daniels brings is his ability to play QB though. However, I fail to see how having a sub-par 4th string QB would be of much help. I'd rather activate Archer from the PS in case both Wilson and Jackson get injured.

So my bet would be that Smith and Williams get the last two spots behind Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett and Matthews.