Starting O-Line.......

McGruff

Reaction score
A college tackle playing guard is not odd.

But two OL who 3 years ago were DL, and one RT who played TE in college . . . that is outside the box thinking.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
"Nowak is the wildcard. He’s never played on the offensive line during a real NFL game."

Wow, didn't know this. He must've really proven himself to be the best option. I can only hope.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm reminded how Alex Gibbs mentioned that it took 18+ months of training/practice to get OL players fully functional in the ZBS system.

I would guess that onboarding process for OL players to understand scheme is lessened now. But also add in what is becoming increasingly clear league wide -- the teaching of the basic fundamentals of blocking that is generally missing.

Since the OL is going to be manned by cheap labor it appears going forward -- it certainly looks like we'll need to be reloading OL prospects almost 2 and 3 players every single year. Groom them and develop them for a year. And hope that two of the three pan out. The turnstile along this group seems destined to remain as long as we're paying our RB 10+ million and our QB 20+.

Seeing the difficulties almost every other team is having putting together an OL, despite dumping expensive high draft picks to their corps really does give me a greater appreciation for the job Cable has done.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seattle has allowed only two sacks in two games with that starting line. Makes sense.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing all five of them getting some playing time together. With Okung out last game Bailey looked a little lost out there. Keeping my fingers crossed that we can build some good depth behind them as well, since we seem to always lose one or two of them for stretches during the Regular season.

McGruff

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":4il6apo9 said:
I'm reminded how Alex Gibbs mentioned that it took 18+ months of training/practice to get OL players fully functional in the ZBS system.

I would guess that onboarding process for OL players to understand scheme is lessened now. But also add in what is becoming increasingly clear league wide -- the teaching of the basic fundamentals of blocking that is generally missing.

Since the OL is going to be manned by cheap labor it appears going forward -- it certainly looks like we'll need to be reloading OL prospects almost 2 and 3 players every single year. Groom them and develop them for a year. And hope that two of the three pan out. The turnstile along this group seems destined to remain as long as we're paying our RB 10+ million and our QB 20+.

Seeing the difficulties almost every other team is having putting together an OL, despite dumping expensive high draft picks to their corps really does give me a greater appreciation for the job Cable has done.

I just want to point out how appropriate this point is. Due to spread schemes and goofy running offenses like Georgia Tech's there is just not a lot of linemen coming into the league ready to play. If you are going to have to retrain them anyway, why not take high upside conversion projects?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Okay. Cable talking these guys up (to the media). Hope they can get it done, the rest of the team has the talent to go all the way again.

kearly

Reaction score
For as long as Okung is in there, this OL will be relatively decent in protection. Our power run situational blocking might be tough to watch this year, though.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
It has been a while since we have had bookend tackles. There is a lot to be excited about with this oline.

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":1dwm5cda said:
For as long as Okung is in there, this OL will be relatively decent in protection. Our power run situational blocking might be tough to watch this year, though.

27/34 (79%) in 3rd and 1-2 situations in 2014. Be nice if we could even be close to that. League average was 67.6%.

[edit] That's when rushing. pass plays excluded.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
McGruff":3skhtq0d said:
A college tackle playing guard is not odd.

But two OL who 3 years ago were DL, and one RT who played TE in college . . . that is outside the box thinking.
So was drafting an undersized quarterback in the third round and letting him compete against a big free agent for the starting job. GO HAWKS!

justthewest

Reaction score
"Nowak is the wildcard. He’s never played on the offensive line during a real NFL game and was on the Seattle practice squad last year as part of his transition from college defensive lineman to center, a transition that started in 2012 with the Jaguars."

Reminds me of Devey with the 49ers--in a bad way. Nonetheless, I appreciate the optimism I'm hearing here on the thread.

olyfan63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3vuzq8te said:
Seattle has allowed only two sacks in two games with that starting line. Makes sense.

The low sacks-allowed numbers were because the offense was on the field so little. On the many, many 3 and outs, though, give the boy credit, Archer usually did a nice job of getting rid of the ball prior to a sack.

I know, I know, you just didn't feel like putting one of these, :sarcasm_on: in your post for something so obvious.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I am actually excited, people are expecting immediate results are the ones who are always going to be dissatisfied.

My Logic is 2015 vs 2014

Contract/6th Yr Okung > Torn Labrum/5th Yr Okung
2nd Yr Britt > Inconsistent Carpenter
Contract/4th Yr Sweezy > 3rd Yr Sweezy
2nd Yr Gilliam > Rookie Justin Britt

Thats possibly 4 natural upgrades at LT, LG, RG, and RT.

The only comparable talent downgrade is at OC.

Nowak isnt Unger. And he may never get to that level. But that still doesnt mean Nowak can't improve the 2014 version of his position group where Unger started and played in only 6 games.

If Nowak stays healthy, continues to work hard, and learns, grows, progresses from game to game and gives the position consistency over 16+ games.

Nowak can be an upgrade over a position that saw 4 players combine for the 16 regular season starts.

Nowak in direct competition beat out 2 of the 4 players that combined for 7 starts last season in Jeanpierre and Lewis (and probably would have beat out Schilling too; 3 starts).

The O-line is not going to be pretty, it really hasnt been since 2007 but with a little injury luck it has the potential to progress towards the average possibly above that throughout the entire season, day by day, practice by practice, week by week, and game by game.

Just thank god im blessed with patience because I dont mind waiting for the end result and seeing the growth and progressions of what could be.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":327c6phj said:
I am actually excited, people are expecting immediate results are the ones who are always going to be dissatisfied.

My Logic is 2015 vs 2014

Contract/6th Yr Okung > Torn Labrum/5th Yr Okung
2nd Yr Britt > Inconsistent Carpenter
Contract/4th Yr Sweezy > 3rd Yr Sweezy
2nd Yr Gilliam > Rookie Justin Britt

Thats possibly 4 natural upgrades at LT, LG, RG, and RT.

The only comparable talent downgrade is at OC.

Nowak isnt Unger. And he may never get to that level. But that still doesnt mean Nowak can't improve the 2014 version of his position group where Unger started and played in only 6 games.

If Nowak stays healthy, continues to work hard, and learns, grows, progresses from game to game and gives the position consistency over 16+ games.

Nowak can be an upgrade over a position that saw 4 players combine for the 16 regular season starts.

Nowak in direct competition beat out 2 of the 4 players that combined for 7 starts last season in Jeanpierre and Lewis (and probably would have beat out Schilling too; 3 starts).

The O-line is not going to be pretty, it really hasnt been since 2007 but with a little injury luck it has the potential to progress towards the average possibly above that throughout the entire season, day by day, practice by practice, week by week, and game by game.

Just thank god im blessed with patience because I dont mind waiting for the end result and seeing the growth and progressions of what could be.

I tend to agree with this sentiment but will add it will most likely be painful to watch for the first few games of the season, especially w/ who we are up against out of the gate worsened by being on the roads. Here is to the boys staying healthy and gelling together. :thirishdrinkers:

Definitely going to be an interesting season, esp at the start.

Go Hawks!!!

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'm too ignorant to have a valid opinion but I do find it comical that the "falling skies" posts are in decline now that the rotation has been patched up (it would seem).

I enjoy the positive posts much more btw. Thanks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
olyfan63":1nzl4lpi said:
MontanaHawk05":1nzl4lpi said:

The low sacks-allowed numbers were because the offense was on the field so little. On the many, many 3 and outs, though, give the boy credit, Archer usually did a nice job of getting rid of the ball prior to a sack.

I know, I know, you just didn't feel like putting one of these, :sarcasm_on: in your post for something so obvious.

No need to be abrasive. I doubt that Archer, of all people, was responsible for avoiding sacks well or that one sack per game doesn't mark an improved OL even if the offense does see less time. It's much more likely that the rearranged OL simply managed to match talent to position better.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
justthewest":3szrdwu5 said:
"Nowak is the wildcard. He’s never played on the offensive line during a real NFL game and was on the Seattle practice squad last year as part of his transition from college defensive lineman to center, a transition that started in 2012 with the Jaguars."

Reminds me of Devey with the 49ers--in a bad way. Nonetheless, I appreciate the optimism I'm hearing here on the thread.
justthewest I sent you a personal message.