Nearly half our 53 man team is made up of undrafted players

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
I actually wonder if we are setting the NFL record for most undrafted players on a roster to start the season.

From my count we have 24 players who went undrafted:

Derrick Coleman
Will Tukuafu
Drew Nowak
Thomas Rawls
Chris Matthews
Jermaine Kearse
Doug Baldwin
Ricardo Lockette
Cooper Helfet
Alvin Bailey
Patrick Lewis
Garry Gilliam
Demarcus Dobbs
Michael Bennett
Brock Coyle
Mike Morgan
Marcus Burley
Dion Bailey
DeShawn Shead
Steven Terrell
Kelcie McCray
Clint Gresham
Jon Ryan
Steven Haushka

Additionally, we've got another 6-7 guys drafted in the 7th round who also are on the team.

It is absolutely absurd that the team considered one of the favorites for the Superbowl this year has nearly half the roster made up of players who were total afterthoughts in this league when they first came in.

It truly makes me wonder why anyone gets excited for the NFL draft at all. Its literally nothing more than a BS media event.

Next time anyone gets upset over us trading draft picks or saying "we overpaid for so and so" when trading out a draft pick, just remember, this Front Office basically doesn't really care about picks all that much.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Nice post. I'll add that we don't usually draft until the 2nd day anyway.

kearly

Reaction score
Meanwhile, Ryan Grigson gets exec of the year for drafting Andrew Luck #1 overall.

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":285syfzx said:
kearly":285syfzx said:
Meanwhile, Ryan Grigson gets exec of the year for drafting Andrew Luck #1 overall.

Well, it was a tough decision. And he could have taken RBIII... uh, I mean RGIII.

Well. It was the easiest draft day decision in a decade if not more. Luck was the biggest slam dunk #1 pick since John Elway.

I got a pretty good laugh thinking about how horrible his life would be had he passed on Andrew Luck to draft an oft-injured hype-job who had just one great season in college.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
kearly":7wzdjvvh said:
Seahawk Sailor":7wzdjvvh said:
kearly":7wzdjvvh said:

Well, it was a tough decision. And he could have taken RBIII... uh, I mean RGIII.

It was the easiest draft day decision in a decade if not more.

Although I got a pretty good laugh thinking about how horrible his life would be had he passed on Andrew Luck to draft an oft-injured hype-job who had just one great season in college.

I tried to use my best sarcastic font. 8)

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1i6y30kj said:
I tried to use my best sarcastic font. 8)

Hard to tell if it was sarcasm since many have used the exact same logic to praise Bill Polian, who is now in the HoF.

I guess if there is any justice in the world, it's that auto-drafting Andrew Luck probably saddled the Colts with a sub-par GM for the next decade. Even Colts fans are starting to figure out that Grigson is pretty crappy at his job, but it won't matter because Luck and that division will get them 10+ wins every year.

Kind of like how we're saddled with Bevell forever because the offense is good every year despite him.

ctrcat

Reaction score
kearly":2nfu6ma2 said:

Bill Polian just got a bust in Canton because the USFL folded giving him Jim Kelly and by having the #1 overall pick in 1998. He's been run out of town of all three GM jobs he's had yet gets a cush media job to be a bitter old fool. Joke. Thems the breaks I guess.

kearly

Reaction score
ctrcat":2rnmnhmj said:
kearly":2rnmnhmj said:

Bill Polian just got a bust in Canton because the USFL folded giving him Jim Kelly and by having the #1 overall pick in 1998. He's been run out of town of all three GM jobs he's had yet gets a cush media job to be a bitter old fool. Joke. Thems the breaks I guess.

Nailed it.

In fairness to Polian, he's a shockingly intelligent color commentator on game broadcasts. Maybe not the best at talent evaluation, but pretty good at understanding and communicating what is happening in a game.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Actually, this FO cares DEEPLY about draft picks. They just don't care so much about 1st rounders with guaranteed contracts. They love middle round and later picks, and of course, they love UDFA's. The love of UDFA's doesn't mean they don't also love the draft. Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett, some players drafted with love for the draft this year.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":3qfppmx9 said:
It truly makes me wonder why anyone gets excited for the NFL draft at all. Its literally nothing more than a BS media event.
It is overhyped. But it is also suspenseful. And guys like Clark and Lockett are why we ultimately get excited.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
You know, what's equally crazy is when you consider that there are a grand total of 3 former 1st Round Draft choices on this roster ...

Russell Okung
Earl Thomas
Bruce Irvin

That's absolutely insane when you stop to think about it. The NFC's representative in the Super Bowl the last 2 years has a grand total of 3 former 1st Round Picks. That's nuts.

Edit to add ...

Forgot -- Marshawn Lynch was a former 1st Round pick. Still, the point stands.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
olyfan63":9objgv0y said:
Actually, this FO cares DEEPLY about draft picks. They just don't care so much about 1st rounders with guaranteed contracts. They love middle round and later picks, and of course, they love UDFA's. The love of UDFA's doesn't mean they don't also love the draft. Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett, some players drafted with love for the draft this year.
This!

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3n1ratdb said:
olyfan63":3n1ratdb said:
This!
That!

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Here's the other thing too, if they know a certain player is projected as a late rounder and knows the talent level between that player vs a 1st rounder is so close that they would rather get the later rounds for a big bargain.

If they are interested in a player they will go after that player regardless of what rounds they are projected to go in or how many draft picks it would take, for example, Bruce Irvin, Paul Richardson, Tyler Lockett.

For instance getting Bobby Wagner in the 2nd while Panthers got Luke Kuechly in the 1st.
Russell Wilson in the 3rd, RG3 in the 1st.
Richard Sherman is another example
Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett both could be potential 1st round talents after it's all said and done.

They go by their own grades and follow their own standards, this is why they are successful more often than not.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Our talent evaluation is one of the best in the league. We find more Mid/Late round gems and UDFA talent than any other team around.

Largent80

Reaction score
All I can say is Lock-ette had better make some friggin plays if he is going to be on this roster. Hopefully when P-Rich comes back he gets ejected.