Left tackle. Okung injury scenario.

Twelver

Reaction score
I'm concerned about the left tackle position. The usual backup Bailey failed to advance with new additions Nowak and Gilliam. Gilliam has been slated there at backup, but hasn't started there. That's it. It seems like a steep drop off at the position if Okung gets injured. I wonder if they would go with Bailey or slide Gilliam over and whatever else that leads to.

Fade

Reaction score
Bailey.

If they move Gilliam, then they have to move Britt to RT, and then move Glowinski / Sokoli in at LG.

idahohawksfan

Reaction score
Twelver":24omgdu7 said:
I'm concerned about the left tackle position. The usual backup Bailey failed to advance with new additions Nowak and Gilliam. Gilliam has been slated there at backup, but hasn't started there. That's it. It seems like a steep drop off at the position if Okung gets injured. I wonder if they would go with Bailey or slide Gilliam over and whatever else that leads to.

With Okung isn't it more like WHEN he gets hurt. If just seems like wishful thinking seeing has he gets hurt every year

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
We have redundancies in place. Okung, Bailey, Gilliam and Britt can be moved around.

It's not like we have McQuistan as the primary backup anymore. We look more solid in the event of injury.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The concern is the step down in skill. When Healthy Okung is almost peerless at his job, Bailey... is not.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":bcxb9byc said:
The concern is the step down in skill. When Healthy Okung is almost peerless at his job, Bailey... is not.

I get that. My point was that the step down in skill is not as pronounced in the last two years. Both years we lost Okung for stretches of time. And Seattle did pretty well. The step down in skill hasn't/isn't a crippling factor.

It's a weakness (LT depth). But it's not been one that has torpedoed Seattle's ability to perform at the highest level. Our outlook there is improved relative to the last couple seasons. Sky not falling in my opinion.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1p9buf2b said:
Evil_Shenanigans":1p9buf2b said:

I get that. My point was that the step down in skill is not as pronounced in the last two years. Both years we lost Okung for stretches of time. And Seattle did pretty well. The step down in skill hasn't/isn't a crippling factor.

It's a weakness (LT depth). But it's not been one that has torpedoed Seattle's ability to perform at the highest level. Our outlook there is improved relative to the last couple seasons. Sky not falling in my opinion.

IMO the guys behind the line are uniquely able to adapt to this variable better than most! Our OC less so. :stirthepot:

gowazzu02

Reaction score
correct me if im wrong but isn't this okungs contract year? Players have an amazing way of staying healthy during their walk years.... ie murray last year in dallas.

McG

Reaction score
I really hope that the FO has someone they can bring in ASAP to play backup LT. Bailey isn't the answer, unless he was playing with some type of injury all preseason. He was horrible at LT, he is undersized for the position and his skill set is far from ideal for playing out on an island against an elite, much less an average pass rusher. I hope that Okung can figure out how to stay healthy this year.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
This oline is not improved for having lost Carpenter and Unger. It's the worst of the Wilson era. Not if, but when Okung goes down, it will not have the depth it needs. What depth is there?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2sbsg4mq said:
This oline is not improved for having lost Carpenter and Unger. It's the worst of the Wilson era. Not if, but when Okung goes down, it will not have the depth it needs. What depth is there?

Bailey was the backup LT last year; he is the backup again this year.

Depth at guard is probably stronger than it was last year with the additions of Glowinski and Sokoli.

Lewis, as the backup center, is certainly a more developed player than he was a year ago.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bailey might still be the backup, but unfortunately last year he was a high potential unknown. Thiis year we know what we have and it isn't good.