Dion Bailey

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Tell me about him?

Why was he not drafted? Came out early, switched around positions in college...is there more?

Time to move on....Kam dumped us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IMO he got some bad advice in 2014 and entered the draft after his junior season............and because he only played one year at safety no one was willing to draft him.

Bailey probably would have seen more playing time last year if he was on another team, but with how deep we WERE at safety last year he was relegated to the practice squad.

So good that he got an entire year on the practice squad to learn the position better and play with the LOB and learn............but bad because we really don't know what he looks like when games matter.

I think Bailey will be serviceable, but he's no Kam. So if people think the SS position isn't going to miss a beat, they're delusional. But he's fast and can hit.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
He can hit... to a degree. Dude is small. He is also slow. Right now he is a weakness we will have to cover.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1bxmgjrn said:
CodeWarrior":1bxmgjrn said:
He can hit... to a degree. Dude is small. He is also slow. Right now he is a weakness we will have to cover.

He's just as fast as Kam.

All this does is tell you what a freak Kam is.

Same speed, but Kam is two inches taller and 30 lbs heavier.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1b89ez17 said:
ImTheScientist":1b89ez17 said:
CodeWarrior":1b89ez17 said:

Lets talk Bailey ITT. Kam broke up with us.

kearly

Reaction score
He seems like a decent hitter and an okay downhill player. But I don't think he's likely to be a long term answer at such an important position for our defense. I would think that if PC/JS could see the future, they would have made SS a big priority in the 2015 draft.

He played for USC, his first year was 2010, which means he was probably a 2009 or 2008 recruit. Most likely, Pete recruited him.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1d3ln0br said:
ImTheScientist":1d3ln0br said:
CodeWarrior":1d3ln0br said:

Exactly. For his 6'0 ~200lbs, he's slow. For Kam's 6'3 or 6'4 and 235lbs+, Kam is fast.

He's decent playing close to the LOS, but is atrocious deep and in space from what I've seen. Often misdiagnoses plays. Hopefully this aspect of his game comes around with more experience. Earl is really going to have to make up for his deficiencies in the opening few games.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1czjz79l said:
CodeWarrior":1czjz79l said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543668

Also a top performer in 3 cone, and both shuttles. That would suggest he is quick but lacks long speed. Kam does as well.

They're close, but Kam was 30 lbs heavier coming out of college (201 vs. 231 lbs).

Kam's 40: 4.59
Bailey's 40: 4.66

I don't see speed as the issue as much as I see positioning in space as the issue. Kam has great instincts in space that make up for his lack of elite speed. Bailey does not have those instincts; it is something he has struggled with throughout his college career. You have to hope they find a way to simplify his coverage assignments.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He seems capable, but hasn't really jumped out in any respect to me. Given enough time, I think Pete can probably coach up anyone to be a pretty legit safety. Just not sure how that's going to look early on, and that early uncertainty is probably the reason why they hedged with McCray, who's been in the league for a few years now, rather than someone like Ronald Martin, who has more upside but is far more raw currently.

I remember a quote from Pete a long time ago where he said good safeties make all the plays you expect while GREAT safeties make the routine plays and the plays you don't expect. I think we're just trying to get Bailey into that first category for right now; Earl and Kam were already in the second.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I just hope whomever the Seahawks decided to start at SS is the player with the greatest perceived upside. Otherwise, what's the point of having a strong, established, and well-compensated core? Should be able to make up for initial deficiencies...

kearly

Reaction score
As said by others, Michael Bennett looked destined to hold out until he got to TC and saw what Frank Clark was doing. Not only did Bennett report immediately, but he busted his ass in the preseason. Drafting Frank Clark didn't just add another stud to our DL, it also prevented a Bennett holdout AND got Bennett to play his best for fear of slipping and losing his job.

Meanwhile, Kam didn't even hint at a holdout until just before camp started. Yet unlike Bennett, nothing that happened in those first two weeks changed his mind. Basically, a lack of quality depth at SS is probably the difference between Kam holding out and not holding out. Which is why it's important that Bailey look okay at safety the next few weeks, or, the Seahawks find ways to cover up that weakness and win despite him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
My only fear with Bailey, and we saw it in preseason.............he thinks he has to replace Kam. Meaning run and hit people.

Which sounds awesome, but he's not as big as Kam, so me thinks he's going to be hurt or dinged up all the time. Which he already was listed on the injury report in preseason.

Pete said he's OK, and Bailey still played. But the writings on the wall with the McCray trade, Pete's with me, he doesn't think Bailey will be strong and healthy the entire season playing like he does.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
When the Seahawks replace Steve Terell with Earl Thomas.... Dion Bailry's margin for error is going to be a lot bigger. Yet, at the same time when Earl is shooting lasers out there, I feel Bailey is going to feel the pressure to match that intensity with heads up play.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I think I read Pete recruited him. That says why we have him?
Per my avatar, I'm pulling for him, to increase the value of my SB 49 jersey. :)

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2umci6as said:
ImTheScientist":2umci6as said:
CodeWarrior":2umci6as said:

Also a top performer in 3 cone, and both shuttles. That would suggest he is quick but lacks long speed. Kam does as well.

They're close, but Kam was 30 lbs heavier coming out of college (201 vs. 231 lbs).

I don't see speed as the issue as much as I see positioning in space as the issue. Kam has great instincts in space that make up for his lack of elite speed. Bailey does not have those instincts; it is something he has struggled with throughout his college career. You have to hope they find a way to simplify his coverage assignments.
Kam's 40 was at his pro day so that number is faster than he would have clocked at the combine. Kam didn't run at the combine.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":p9jr3bz9 said:
hawknation2015":p9jr3bz9 said:
ImTheScientist":p9jr3bz9 said:
CodeWarrior":p9jr3bz9 said:

Kam's 40 was at his pro day so that number is faster than he would have clocked at the combine. Kam didn't run at the combine.

They're both pretty slow for safeties. It's just that Kam was a lot heavier.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Few reasons:

Positional value. Strong safeties generally don't get drafted extremely highly. The free safety is typically the one that gets positionally over rated. And despite (or because of) Kam's unique value we've seen a few early reaches on strong safeties that haven't panned out.

As a prospect, Bailey is pretty non descript. He's not fast, and his lack of speed and general lack of coverage ability in college makes a projection as even a FS backup difficult. He isn't a hulking SS either, so if you're hoping to replicate the next Chancellor -- he didn't look the part.

Every year, there are good players that slip in the draft and even out of the draft because of some perceived deficiency or simply supply and demand issues. All teams have different needs and every year there are draftable grade players that simply don't get drafted because of a glut in supply/scarcity of demand or both.

sc85sis

Reaction score
His deep coverage skills still need work, but his skills in the box should be fine. He made 11 picks in college playing SLB and SS.