Seahawks: Private vs Public corporations

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Aren't the Seahawks a private entity from a business perspective? So are 30 other NFL franchises. The only exception are the Packers. So why is information about their financial state, player's salaries public? I believe if players or public didn't have this information so readily, holdouts would be a bit less. I work for a private organization, none of our organization's finances are made public unless authorized to do so. My salary information is only accessible to those to need to know. My coworkers don't know how much I make and how I'm compensated. Likewise, I don't know their exact pay either. I know the market but that's it. I judge my compensation by how it fits in the market for my profession. That's what I use when negotiating my compensation. If this was the case with sports organizations, then maybe holdout's such as Kam's wouldn't happen. It's just interesting how organizations differ even using the same classifications - private vs. public, etc.

Rocket

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2koiz3ti said:
Aren't the Seahawks a private entity from a business perspective? So are 30 other NFL franchises. The only exception are the Packers. So why is information about their financial state, player's salaries public? I believe if players or public didn't have this information so readily, holdouts would be a bit less. I work for a private organization, none of our organization's finances are made public unless authorized to do so. My salary information is only accessible to those to need to know. My coworkers don't know how much I make and how I'm compensated. Likewise, I don't know their exact pay either. I know the market but that's it. I judge my compensation by how it fits in the market for my profession. That's what I use when negotiating my compensation. If this was the case with sports organizations, then maybe holdout's such as Kam's wouldn't happen. It's just interesting how organizations differ even using the same classifications - private vs. public, etc.
Probably a CBA thing.
( collective bargaining agreement )

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Rocket":1vywqh73 said:
hawkfan68":1vywqh73 said:
Probably a CBA thing.
( collective bargaining agreement )

Interesting...that does make sense.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Interesting sociological phenomenon happening in this thread as well. We see the Seahawks' salaries public and reason it could be a contributing factor to players wanting more money, which is obviously problematic when a team has a salary cap.

At the same time, it seems there is support for non-disclosure in the workplace, even though we recognize that disclosure would create a more competitive salary structure and pressure the corporation to pay employees more.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
As always, the golden rule. It behooves workers to make their salaries public so they can compete over higher salaries. It behooves the employers to keep those numbers secret so that they can drive the lowest price the cheapskates can get.

It has nothing to do with what's a viable and fair wage, which bargaining would allow. Prices wouldn't get too out of hand because the business would fold. So the owners self interest would prevail. But greed would be curtailed if everyone knew what everyone else was making.

mrt144

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3nu3jkci said:
As always, the golden rule. It behooves workers to make their salaries public so they can compete over higher salaries. It behooves the employers to keep those numbers secret so that they can drive the lowest price the cheapskates can get.

It has nothing to do with what's a viable and fair wage, which bargaining would allow. Prices wouldn't get too out of hand because the business would fold. So the owners self interest would prevail. But greed would be curtailed if everyone knew what everyone else was making.

It's really bizarre how our society is so cloistered about salary discussion. Ya make what ya make, no shame, helps you know what you can earn out there.

saroos

Reaction score
It has to do with unions. Of which I am a member all salaries are public everyone is in the know what each other is making.sometimes it is not fair due to other people pulling more wait then others but it is what it is.

mikeak

Reaction score
Public or private - the salaries of those making multi-millions are usually relatively known.

Separately as noted Union salaries are typically known

Finally kind of hard to know teams are under salary cap if salaries are unknown. It would be impossible to keep under wrap and honestly all these things that are discussed helps the league gain interest and discussion which equals $$$$

Basis4day

Reaction score
mikeak":36xf8ey2 said:
Public or private - the salaries of those making multi-millions are usually relatively known.

Separately as noted Union salaries are typically known

Finally kind of hard to know teams are under salary cap if salaries are unknown. It would be impossible to keep under wrap and honestly all these things that are discussed helps the league gain interest and discussion which equals $$$$

The agents also have an interest in releasing contract figures as a form of advertising for future clients.