Article: Kam Chancellor's Holdout: Follow the money

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Good read, and basically boils down to what most thought, it's about the money and he doesn't stand a chance of winning this.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I don't think it's news the hold out is about money.

Also in his list of safeties he mixes strong and free safeties which are not paid the same.

The 64 mill question is why it suddenly matters to Kam and 7 mill a year ain't good enough.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just because people do not recognize a value does not mean it does not exist.

FS and SS are paid differently, but would you honestly argue that with all the Kam does and is asked to do that he is worth less to his team than a FS is to another team? I would even argue that Kam is every bit as important as Earl in our defense the way it is structured.

This team has done a tremendous job in finding undervalued assets (RB, SS, etc.) and applying them in ways that make them almost peerless. Lynch has very little equal in his ability to move the chains. Kam is a combination of LB and Safety that absolutely instills fear into opposing players that might have to run the short patterns. His value as a SS is likely more than most FS but because he is a SS he should get less? When he has a unique skillset that most observers would put him in HOF caliber play?

Kam is a unique player that bring unique attributes to a position that we rely on as a linchpin of our defense, why should be be worth less than an average or even above average FS that brings less to the table for his team?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
StoneCold":z5qrd2rr said:
Also in his list of safeties he mixes strong and free safeties which are not paid the same.

Thats the sticking point. He is a Strong Safety and he seems to want to be paid as a Free Safety (or better) apparently. Sound Familiar? Our own Jimmy Graham lobbying to be paid as a WR rather than a TE not so long ago. Both have compelling arguments I grant you. But if I am wearing my John Schneider hat, I am saying "your one year into an extension we all agreed to. You are coming off a serious injury that you may or may not be fully healed from, your not getting any younger and we have this pesky salary cap to deal with. See me next year!"

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marlin Man":5z8wi4zy said:
Kam is STUPID and makes me laugh, how stupid he really is
I don't think Kam is stupid, I think he is making a stupid decision however.

I've know brilliant people in life who've made many idiotic decisions in their life based on their emotions and or mood at that moment.

Sealake80

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we don't know the whole story yet. It irks me to see people calling Kam stupid. Maybe it's not a great decision on his part. Maybe Kam is doing what's best for him. I'd consider that pretty smart. Level your heads and get ready for smash mouth Seahawks football without Kam. You will live.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
His contract was structured like most other first contracts afrer rookie deals. First half is much more player friendly, they can buy the houses, cars, etc they have waited for. Last half is team friendly. Kam took the player friendly side and now doesn't like the team friendly end. It is simply about money. Love the guy, but let him cry and pay the fines.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Sealake80":2klob2o4 said:
I'm pretty sure we don't know the whole story yet. It irks me to see people calling Kam stupid. Maybe it's not a great decision on his part. Maybe Kam is doing what's best for him. I'd consider that pretty smart. Level your heads and get ready for smash mouth Seahawks football without Kam. You will live.
I wouldn't get irked about it. I care less. Kam is a big boy and I'm sure he has been called worse, but I don't see losing hundreds of thousands a wise decision.

Regardless of the decisions and name calling I am sad he is not playing. Should have asked for more guarantee $ before he signed.

Seafan

Reaction score
He's not stupid, he seems to be desperate. But if he truly isn't stupid how many game checks is he willing to lose and for what? If it's really just about money there aren't many ways he can redeem this situation. His only hope is the Hawks trade or cut him.

Exittium

Reaction score
He could miss... however many games that "petty" 900k is recovered by the team and they can apply that to the money he wants moved lol

ringless

Reaction score
Wow I am surprised the Hawks were willing to move up 3.1 into this year. Supposedly he has already said he again will want to renegotiate before he hits 30, which means that he will want to renegotiate in 2017 I am assuming when his salary would then be under 3 million if Seattle caves.

The Seahawks lose no matter what in this deal unless they do nothing. Which is what they should do, or I would want my team to do. But I hope they cave and tighten the salary this year and next. The only positive is It makes Kam an easy release in 3 years with a low dead cap hit if they choose to give him his money now.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
ringless":38w8rf0w said:
Wow I am surprised the Hawks were willing to move up 3.1 into this year.
I don't know that that's true. Hearing it from Helle who paraphrased Kam doesn't count as a reliable source, especially concerning what the Seahawks FO is willing to do.

chet380

Reaction score
johnnyfever":kcxw4gum said:
His contract was structured like most other first contracts afrer rookie deals. First half is much more player friendly, they can buy the houses, cars, etc they have waited for. Last half is team friendly. Kam took the player friendly side and now doesn't like the team friendly end.
One of the talking heads on the NFL Channel said today that a GM with whom he had been associated used to explicitly tell players this and have the players acknowledge that they understood that the back ends of their contracts would not be as favorable as the front ends.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1iz24359 said:
StoneCold":1iz24359 said:

Thats the sticking point. He is a Strong Safety and he seems to want to be paid as a Free Safety (or better) apparently. Sound Familiar? Our own Jimmy Graham lobbying to be paid as a WR rather than a TE not so long ago. Both have compelling arguments I grant you. But if I am wearing my John Schneider hat, I am saying "your one year into an extension we all agreed to. You are coming off a serious injury that you may or may not be fully healed from, your not getting any younger and we have this pesky salary cap to deal with. See me next year!"
Why shouldn't he?

He's being asked to put his body on the line more than any other player on the defense. He's being asked to lower the Boom over the middle. What's the history of hard hitting SS's like Easley, Hamlin, etc?

Injury shortened careers.

Yet that's exactly what they're asking Chancellor to do. A man deserves to get paid extra for that. He's going to have the shortest effective career. When he can't do it anymore, he'll be replaced by someone else who will have a shortened career.

It's not about SS vs FS, it's about the role our SS's have. All our SS's should be getting paid more. That they're not is because the system doesn't have to adjust, they've locked in positions. Kam may have no chance at winning, but there's an argument to be made that the role you play is more important than the position you play. Graham tried to prove something similar to that and lost in arbitration (or did that go to court?). Sort of lost, anyways. He got paid.

Sadly, it's time to play football now and it's time to admit defeat. Kam has to swallow his pride and not be bigger than the team. He's still getting paid 7m a year. If Kam, ET and Sherm compared their paychecks, at this point in time, Kam has been paid more.