Tweets on Seahawks from SI columnist Andy Benoit

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Starts with https://twitter.com/Andy_Benoit/status/ ... 7557944320 . Some things we've heard before, somethings I don't think we have. Good read.

Wilson the hardest QB in all of football to rank. So atypical in his approach.

Wilson excellent mover overall, very unrefined pocket mover. Bevell does a great job building around that.

Trips closed formations (3 WR’s to wide side of field, TE up on line on opposite side) is Seattle’s best set.

From that formation, Seattle sets up read-option game and unbalanced aerial concepts.

Misdirection and disguise major factors of Seattle’s ground game. It’s about more than just Lynch’s power.

Wilson will leave throws on the field every game by breaking down in pocket. Compensates w/ out-of-pocket magic.

Something that helps Wilson, especially throwing on the move (where he’s amazing) is his compact delivery.

The closer the score and later in the game it is, the more likely Wilson is to rely on his legs.

Would love to ask Bevell why he uses so many isolation routes instead of route combos. Sure there’s a reason.

Lynch’s power and ability to cut the ball backside nullifies the mediocrity of Seattle’s OL.

This passing game almost never has any rhythm. A series of individual plays. Product of Wilson’s style.

SEA does a great job with RB’s leaking out into routes late in the down.

How often will Graham be used in the seams? Wilson one of the game’s better seam throwers.

Underrated part of Lynch’s game: lateral agility, including in confined areas.

Lynch an impatient runner who is also almost never reckless. A paradox.

RT Britt must improve in pass pro. Has a ways to go with hand usage.

Surprised how often Seahawks employ empty backfield formations.

Defense a very simple scheme executed to near perfection. YAC hard to come by.

6 defenders are top-3 @ respective positions: Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Wagner, Wright (4-3 OLB) Bennett (nickel DT).

Chancellor holdout an issue, different D without him, including schematically.

Chancellor best SS in NFL. Ferocity and awareness at midrange of the defensive formation.

Bennett some of the best horizontal explosiveness off the snap in all of football.

Wagner an old school hunt and chase LB. He and Thomas offer more interior speed than any defensive tandem in NFL.

OLB Wright’s ability to play man coverage critical in nickel. (Though he struggled in SB a few times vs. Gronk.)

This defense played a lot more man coverage last yr, especially down the stretch. Will that continue?

Cary Williams a poor signing given that he costs 7x what Tharold Simon costs. Simon showed intrigued last yr.

Need to see Bruce Irvin get more snaps as sub-package DE. Explosiveness not being maximized.

If forced to pick 1 player, most coaches would tell you Earl Thomas is this D’s most valuable.

Mebane sensational initial movement off the ball. Hope to still see that in 2015.

Sherman great in press but is most feared by QB’s when in off-coverage.

Sherman also very good in run support. Rare for an INT machine.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Some of the responses by "fans" are sad and bordering on pathetic. Why do some fans always take everything as an insult? He's complimenting RW yet they have to respond with tweets like "you failed miserably, You fail to realize Hope you feel educated now."

Just enjoy the success and notoreity, stop tweeting like the world is out to get you. I know it's difficult after some of the things of the past, but it's time to move on. I have (I think). :snack:

Maybe that's some of that passive aggressive we always hear about.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Russell does need to work on his pocket presence. We also need to realize he may never be as polished in the pocket because of his height. That's just reality--he has to move around more to find throwing lanes. He makes up for that with other skills though, as these tweets point out.

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2m7leeht said:
Wilson will leave throws on the field every game by breaking down in pocket. Compensates w/ out-of-pocket magic

100% agree - part of that though is that is the offensive philosophy of not taking risks, part of it is insecurity in the pocket from it collapsing so often and part of it is RW missing something or taking off to quickly

MontanaHawk05":2m7leeht said:
Would love to ask Bevell why he uses so many isolation routes instead of route combos. Sure there’s a reason.

This passing game almost never has any rhythm. A series of individual plays. Product of Wilson’s style.

Surprised how often Seahawks employ empty backfield formations.

Yes why so many isolation routs and empty backfield ?? especially backfield - we see that question around here all the time

No rhythm - run 1st down, 2nd down and try magic on third down - how is that not rhytm? :sarcasm_off:

Cary Williams a poor signing given that he costs 7x what Tharold Simon costs. Simon showed intrigued last yr.

YES

mikeak

Reaction score
ivotuk":24khrmbr said:
Some of the responses by "fans" are sad and bordering on pathetic. Why do some fans always take everything as an insult? He's complimenting RW yet they have to respond with tweets like "you failed miserably, You fail to realize Hope you feel educated now."

Just enjoy the success and notoreity, stop tweeting like the world is out to get you. I know it's difficult after some of the things of the past, but it's time to move on. I have (I think). :snack:

It is the new society we live in where everything is black or white. A joke cannot be a joke if it insults someone, politicians cannot compromise without being called sell-outs and a person cannot say that a QB is not elite due to this and that but he is top 10 without insulting him and getting lots of complaints.

It is the non-productive side of society......

Ask Colin Cowherd when he was supercomplemntary of Rose (bulls) but said he wasn't MVP. Everyone called in and asked why he said that Rose sucked. It was amazing to listen to - people hear what they want to and ignore everything else.

I thought most of these tweets were very insightful and spot on and in alignment with a lot of things that we read here

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think there are a few ways to explain the usage of isos routes: (a) philosophy -- if you want to play young players, you have to use a pared down offensive scheme. No one bashes the DCs for running an overly simplistic defense, which it does. (b) I think a lot of what we do on offense is designed to create running lanes for Wilson; I don't think it's an accident that he found himself with tons of running room last season. That is by design, and you get that by sending guys downfield; not by crossing them up in short areas. (c) Due to QB limitations, we do not throw to every area of the field and most teams have probably figured that out by now. So, you could have a guy run a shallow cross, but pretty sure most coaches know that Russell isn't going to hit that guy even if he's wide open.

Anthony!

Reaction score
To be honest there is a lot of double talk, and some things that are just not true, but there is also some good stuff. That said he is getting responses and that is the point.

Anthony!

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3gxp90v9 said:
I think there are a few ways to explain the usage of isos routes: (a) philosophy -- if you want to play young players, you have to use a pared down offensive scheme. No one bashes the DCs for running an overly simplistic defense, which it does. (b) I think a lot of what we do on offense is designed to create running lanes for Wilson; I don't think it's an accident that he found himself with tons of running room last season. That is by design, and you get that by sending guys downfield; not by crossing them up in short areas. (c) Due to QB limitations, we do not throw to every area of the field and most teams have probably figured that out by now. So, you could have a guy run a shallow cross, but pretty sure most coaches know that Russell isn't going to hit that guy even if he's wide open.

QB limitations no, more like adversion to risk some parts of the field are more risky than others. So I disagree with the limitations part. The reality is anything over the middle is a higher risk than the side lines, see NFCCG and Kearse as an example. We have seen Wilson can make all the throws.

mikeak

Reaction score
Anthony!":1qupo9dd said:
To be honest there is a lot of double talk, and some things that are just not true, but there is also some good stuff. That said he is getting responses and that is the point.

where do you see the double-talk? Just asking because I don't see it as such

Russel is un-refined in the pocket - agree 100% - he throws one of the best seam balls in the league - agree 100%

They combine for one negative and one positive but they are not mutually exclusive as in double-talk. That is to me proper feedback but maybe there are other things that I am missing / interpreting differently

mikeak

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1qdvnozk said:

Good points thanks

lobohawk

Reaction score
Limitations in pocket are less likely due to the outsider's view of Wilson's height, than it is Wilson's desire to limit risk and his knowledge that he can usually find something better by moving out of the pocket. This is an athlete's crutch and you often see athletic QBs resort to this. Wilson historically is good about not depending on his athleticism, but it has increased as he's dealt with the pro QB learning curve and an unstable pass protection OL.

Remember Pete loves the big play and hates the turnovers. In Wilson's case he's always trying to match that.....limit mistakes and look for the game changing play.

Generally speaking I ignore the height comments, as those making the comments aren't short QBs playing in the Pros. Someone like Brees is about the only person qualified to make comments because he knows personally any limitations. Everyone else says it because they think it, not because they know it.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Anthony!":2fc4lsc7 said:
That's not double talk, it's the ability to see the good and the not so good in the same player.

Pretty impressive actually.

HawkGA

Reaction score
DavidSeven":wnnpdhxp said:

I would be curious to know if Bevell ran the same simplified offense before having RW at QB.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ivotuk":73ifqgmv said:

Only thing i would disagree about is

"This passing game almost never has any rhythm. A series of individual plays. Product of Wilson’s style."

It isnt because of Wilson. Its because of a poor oline and terrible O Cor in Bevel

Anthony!

Reaction score
mikeak":2ctjj9kk said:
Anthony!":2ctjj9kk said:

where do you see the double-talk? Just asking because I don't see it as such

Russel is un-refined in the pocket - agree 100% - he throws one of the best seam balls in the league - agree 100%

They combine for one negative and one positive but they are not mutually exclusive as in double-talk. That is to me proper feedback but maybe there are other things that I am missing / interpreting differently

If you see no double talk then that is your choice, I do.

Anthony!

Reaction score
lobohawk":1wkq6knt said:
Limitations in pocket are less likely due to the outsider's view of Wilson's height, than it is Wilson's desire to limit risk and his knowledge that he can usually find something better by moving out of the pocket. This is an athlete's crutch and you often see athletic QBs resort to this. Wilson historically is good about not depending on his athleticism, but it has increased as he's dealt with the pro QB learning curve and an unstable pass protection OL.

Remember Pete loves the big play and hates the turnovers. In Wilson's case he's always trying to match that.....limit mistakes and look for the game changing play.

Generally speaking I ignore the height comments, as those making the comments aren't short QBs playing in the Pros. Someone like Brees is about the only person qualified to make comments because he knows personally any limitations. Everyone else says it because they think it, not because they know it.

exactly, when there is a pocket Wilson has done a great job of using it, the lack of no using the whole field is about risk adversion and PC has said as much. So far this is no evidence Height has been an issue at all and there is plenty of fact to support Wilson perform very well in the pocket. That said every one knows saying something negative gets more replies than saying something positive and that is all this is about responses.

Anthony!

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":2efn9swz said:
Anthony!":2efn9swz said:
That's not double talk, it's the ability to see the good and the not so good in the same player.

Pretty impressive actually.

that is your opinion, and normally I agree with most of what you say Bob, however there is some double talk in the tweets, if you cannot see them I am sorry