Lack of Oline acquisitions is puzzling

seabowl

Reaction score
Anyone else surprised that we have not made any even somewhat significant Oline acquisition this offseason? I still cannot believe we are going into the season with 60% of our line being unproven players. I'm only counting Sweezy and a healthy Okung as proven. Thoughts?

Basis4day

Reaction score
With what money? They drafted 3 players for o-line and needed to pay Wilson and Wagner.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I'm hoping it's just a high degree of confidence in the players on the roster, but, uhhh, it felt strange even typing that.

kearly

Reaction score
One of the reasons Seattle is such a good team is that they understand that it's better to pay your own players than to pay for someone else's. I mean, look at some of the players Seattle has paid big bucks from outside the organization to come in (minimum 3 years and $5m APY):

Zach Miller, Sidney Rice, Robert Gallery, Percy Harvin, Cary Williams, Jimmy Graham

Hopefully Jimmy Graham earns most of his money, but the rest of the list is made up of guys who were paid far more than their actual value to the team.

Instead, Seattle has made a killing on smaller deals. Bennett was initially signed on a relatively low-cost 1 year deal. Avril was initially signed on a relatively low cost 2 year deal. The team got good value on low end DL signings such as Alan Branch, Tony McDaniel, O' Brien Schofield, Raheem Brock, Kevin Williams, etc.

And at OL, when was the last time Seattle signed a free agent OL to big bucks and it worked out famously? Robbie Tobeck probably comes the closest, and that was 15 years ago. If you count shotgun approach OL signed in large numbers to cheap deals, then Breno would be your diamond in the rough.

And if you look around the league, there are a lot of 'name' OL who leave their team in FA for big bucks, and many of them struggle to be as good with their 2nd team.

I think this is especially true for our team with the requirements Cable puts on his players. With Cable it is less about talent and more about fitting the mold.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
A. OL play in the NFL is pretty awful across the board at the moment.

=

B. Teams are not dumping even solid OL at the final cutdown.

=

C. Where exactly are all of these better options coming from?

I get the concern, but it'd behoove Seahawks fans to acknowledge that OL is struggling across the board, in the NFL. Take a look at recent high first round picks on the OL...It's close to garbage. At the very least, I take comfort in the fact that Seattle hasn't spent premium capital on garbage, out of panic.

If better options were out there, they'd be here. But, alas, they are not.

Fade

Reaction score
2014 vs. 2015
Okung = Okung
Carpenter < Britt
Unger/Lewis/LJP ? Nowak
Sweezy = Sweezy
Britt < Gilliam

Overall the '15 line is better than the '14 line.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I think it was on Brock and Salk recently that I heard a discussion about the dearth of o-line talent coming out of college these days. The theory was that the spread offenses at that level tend to cover up issues with talent and technique with o-linemen, resulting in guys coming into the league who aren't actually that good and/or just aren't coached up as much as they used to be.

Rose City Hawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":2orzf1rs said:
I think it was on Brock and Salk recently that I heard a discussion about the dearth of o-line talent coming out of college these days. The theory was that the spread offenses at that level tend to cover up issues with talent and technique with o-linemen, resulting in guys coming into the league who aren't actually that good and/or just aren't coached up as much as they used to be.

This is very true, there just isn't as much o-line talent, I think we have also seen a big change in the focus on pass rushers and just overall d-line play, the quality of athletes that the o-line faces could also factor into this.

Rocket

Reaction score
seabowl":1sy5nnjr said:
Anyone else surprised that we have not made any even somewhat significant Oline acquisition this offseason? I still cannot believe we are going into the season with 60% of our line being unproven players. I'm only counting Sweezy and a healthy Okung as proven. Thoughts?
Cable is happy, says they're set. Cable is the O-line Deity, the knower of all, the seeker of Chop and the finder of Rough D-Jewels™.
All will be well.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
sc85sis":2oso7qo0 said:

This is why Cable loves converting defensive players to offensive linemen.. and it makes a lot of sense really. The days of Walter Jones like tackles in the draft are long gone.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Despite a rising cap, the Seahawks trimmed more than $10 million from the OL budget this year. The mere $12 million they are dedicating to offensive linemen is more than $15 million less than the OL budget in 2013. In two years, they went from spending over 20% of their cap on offensive linemen to now under 9%.

What did they do with all that money? Rather than keep Unger, re-sign Carpenter, or sign free agent linemen, they elected to instead use that money to acquire All-Pro Jimmy Graham and to extend Pro Bowlers Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, and Bobby Wagner.

They are counting on the developmental skills of Tom Cable to turn former undrafted defensive linemen and a TE into something serviceable, perhaps even something better than we have previously had in the Carroll Era. We will see if the strategy pays off.

Given Russell Wilson's league-best elusiveness, Marshawn Lynch's league-best-tackling-breaking abilities, Jimmy Graham's jump ball abilities, and of course, Cable's renowned teaching and development of lowly-regarded prospects, it seems like a smart bet to me.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think this will shape up to be a better line than either of the last two years. Once Gilliam and Nowak have a few games of experience, I think this will be the best offensive line in Seattle in a long time.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Fade":1zsmk7ik said:
2014 vs. 2015
Okung = Okung
Carpenter < Britt
Unger/Lewis/LJP ? Nowak
Sweezy = Sweezy
Britt < Gilliam

Carpenter > Britt
Unger/Lewis/LJP > Nowack
Britt = or > Gilliam

Anyone who says they are comfortable with our line as of this moment is fooling themselves.

chris98251

Reaction score
seabowl":1wpj4vk7 said:
Fade":1wpj4vk7 said:
2014 vs. 2015
Okung = Okung
Carpenter < Britt
Unger/Lewis/LJP ? Nowak
Sweezy = Sweezy
Britt < Gilliam

Carpenter > Britt
Unger/Lewis/LJP > Nowack
Britt = or > Gilliam

Anyone who says they are comfortable with our line as of this moment is fooling themselves.

[youtube]RwPS19swwiA[/youtube]

drdiags

Reaction score
If you think the team is going to be signing high priced OL, you are fooling yourself. The few times this recent regime has put high draft picks into the line, the results have been mixed.

The Seahawks have been good in drafting secondary and linebackers under Pete and John. All other positions are up for debate, though they did a great job with Wilson. OL is a group they do better with just rolling through a group of low paid talent. Seahawks QBs and RBs have been under attack for quite some time.

To me, the team just doesn't put that big of a premium on the OL. Cable creates a decent run blocking OL but Pass Pro is not that great. Not sure why the OP is amazed the team didn't put a lot of resources into the OL. I think what you see is how the team will continue to do as long as Pete and Cable are here.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
kearly":3gfvfaif said:
And at OL, when was the last time Seattle signed a free agent OL to big bucks and it worked out famously? Robbie Tobeck probably comes the closest, and that was 15 years ago. If you count shotgun approach OL signed in large numbers to cheap deals, then Breno would be your diamond in the rough.
Just outta curiosity, where does Chris Grey fit in?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2u6yc8j4 said:
They are counting on the developmental skills of Tom Cable to turn former undrafted defensive linemen and a TE into something serviceable, perhaps even something better than we have previously had in the Carroll Era. We will see if the strategy pays off.

Given Russell Wilson's league-best elusiveness, Marshawn Lynch's league-best-tackling-breaking abilities, Jimmy Graham's jump ball abilities, and of course, Cable's renowned teaching and development of lowly-regarded prospects, it seems like a smart bet to me.
We will indeed!

:thirishdrinkers:

Latest posts