Seahawks safety Dion Bailey on taking over for Kam

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
.com did a story as well.

I love Baileys confidence and swagger. I love that this opportunity isnt scary or too big for him, and that he isnt going to be the best Kam Chancellor he can be but the best Dion Bailey he can be.

I think the kid has a good head on his shoulders and I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with his play. He might not be great but I think he's going to be a lot better than a lot of people think he'll be.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I would bet that come Monday, he will rank fairly high compared to the other 31 starting Strong Safeties.

Paschtorian

Reaction score
Next Man Up.

And Bailey will be THAT man.

Small "learning curve",......but it's a "replaceable" position.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hans Gruber just posted a USC highlight video of Dion Bailey that got deleted after I would type all of this out :evil:

I noticed that he mostly leads with his shoulders mostly aiming at the mid-section and thigh pads, something the Seahawks strive on. The guy is also a master at the ankle/toe tackle, great instinct at flowing to the ball carrier, then assessing the best way to take him down. I like that that part of his game has remained consistent. He's a solid to good tackler with potential to get better. As a LBer he reminds me a lot of Chris Borland obviously way smaller and less stout.

As an SS, his play-making ability and everything put together kind of reminded me of a 2005 Michael Boulware.

And before anyone says "That guy sucks".

I looked it up and Boulware had an Approximate Value rating of 8 in 2005.

Kam Chancellor on a 16 game scale in 2011 and 2014 probably would have AVs of:

2011: 10-11 AV (9 actual, missed 1 game)
2012: 6 AV
2013: 11 AV
2014: 11-12 AV (9, missed 2 games)

I think if Bailey had to play the whole season I think an AV of 6-8 wouldn't be out of the question. I mean its not the level of an elite Kam Chancellor but its a level between the worst of Kam Chancellor (which this team has survived) and the best of Michael Boulware.

Oddly enough 6 years after whomever drafted in 2004 drafted the 6'3, 225 pound Michael Boulware, PC/JS drafted the 6'3, 232 pound Kam Chancellor.

I wonder if Carroll and Company could have had the same success with Boulware like they did with Chancellor.

Also, remember it was ex Safeties coach and Seahawk, Marquand Manuel that kind of elevated the 2ndary play in 2005 when Ken Hamlin got knocked out by a sign. Manuel ended up being a huge loss in the Superbowl due to injury that saw the Seahawks left with Eric "Freakin'" Pruitt.

Sorry for that horrible thought, but my point is we've seen Bailey only next to Steve Terrell so far. Terrell might be Bailey's Ken Hamlin where as Earl Thomas could be Bailey's Marquand Manuel.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Nearly anyone could come in at SS and play well enough. That is for one reason and one reason only. He is playing next to All-Pros Earl Thomas III and Richard Sherman.

That combined with Bailey actually being quite good and I don't see reason for worries.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I expect Bailey to take some poor angles on Sunday in the midst of an overall serviceable effort. Growing pains, if you will. As I'm sure many of you remember, Kam, and even Earl took some atrocious angles in the early goings of their careers. Speed of the game and all.