Wilson to take added responsibility in Pass Protection

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I've always suspected that Wilson didn't get to call his protection. Unger calls it first and Wilson adjust, now this year he gets to make the calls as he sees it first and let the center adjust.

This verify that pass protection calls wasn't Wilson's responsibility the first 3 years, this is the next step Wilson needs to take.

It's going to be interesting against the Rams for sure.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/0...ake-added-responsibility-pass-protection-open

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Does this mean he has permission to take off, instead of making him be a sitting duck in the pocket for the first 3.5 quarters?
If so cool.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":29h1vgvj said:
Does this mean he has permission to take off, instead of making him be a sitting duck in the pocket for the first 3.5 quarters?
If so cool.

Yeah does this mean he can ignore the 25 scripted plays as he sees fit too? Hope so.

mikeak

Reaction score
Finally. Remember the Arizona game. Blitzing guy was clear as day light and yet nobody moved to pick them up

It was unreal

Gametime

Reaction score
This is FANTASTIC news.

Russ is intelligent and this makes me happy. Nothing motivates someone like self preservation!

Now.... If he ever flips off the sideline like Beast Mode after the play is called I don't know what I will do. :thirishdrinkers:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":13ma21fm said:
So another year before he can audible?
Seems so. I'll take what I can get given it's about two years late already. Though it makes trading Unger despite not doing anything serious about our OL make total sense.

I wonder if I have time to change my season record prediction in Lon's contest to my original feeling of 14-2?

Either way the Rams are dead meat after this little twist.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Carroll's scheme has always used the center to identify protections. The purpose is to make things as easy for the QB as possible. It's a technique he learned from Bill Walsh I believe.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1fgpv084 said:
Carroll's scheme has always used the center to identify protections. The purpose is to make things as easy for the QB as possible. It's a technique he learned from Bill Walsh I believe.
Nice to see Pete is willing to learn and move on from a tactic used by a dead man and not used by his own quarterbacks when they weren't named Steve or Jeff. While finally understanding it's all about the quarterback in the end.

Those are the rules and they're not changing anytime soon if ever.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Thank God.

This might take awile to iron out but this was something that absolutely needed to be done.

I think this will make Wilson even better, because now its his job to read the defense, the pressure, communicate with his protectors.

You do this enough, over time, your reflexes adjust and how fast you can process infomation and react is going to get much faster.

Now like other have said... Give him the power to audible in and out of plays. Cuz honestly when I think Wilson doesnt like a play or he doesnt think itll work especially in high leverage situations he'll burn a timeout to discuss it with Bevell.

Wilson QB Growth Plan To Diminishing Bevell
Step 1. Call his own protection.
Step 2. Call his own audibles.
Step 3. Call his own plays or be allowed to pick his own from a play set.

Get Bevell off the field, and into a booth to coordinate and navigate but not direct. The guy has great game plans at times but his play-calling can be so atrocious that it doesnt matter.

Give Russ 75% of the power, let him take over the game from out the gates, and this offense would stall out much less.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":186oiyqg said:
Thank God.

This might take awile to iron out but this was something that absolutely needed to be done.

I think this will make Wilson even better, because now its his job to read the defense, the pressure, communicate with his protectors.

You do this enough, over time, your reflexes adjust and how fast you can process infomation and react is going to get much faster.

Now like other have said... Give him the power to audible in and out of plays. Cuz honestly when I think Wilson doesnt like a play or he doesnt think itll work especially in high leverage situations he'll burn a timeout to discuss it with Bevell.

Get Bevell off the field, and into a booth to coordinate and navigate but not direct. The guy has great game plans at times but his play-calling can be so atrocious that it doesnt matter.

Give Russ 75% of the power, let him take over the game from out the gates, and this offense would stall out much less.

Like he does when we are behind or in the 2 minute drill.

Seafan

Reaction score
He audibles. Remember the game winning play in NFCC? Audible.

Last year there was a sharing of the protect calls when Unger was out. It seemed to work out.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1il349rm said:
Thank God.

After watching Brock Huards Chalk talks all night tonight cuz i was bored and it was entertaining...We seem to LOVE 11 personel trip set and the play design is really good usually. Baldwin is also a stud in these plays Brock goes over. Him and Wilson have great communcation. Cant wait to throw Lockett And Jimmy out there in these formations

This offense will be dangerous if Prich comes back and get back on the path he was on last year. Having Prich, Lockett and Baldwin out there with Jimmy at TE and Lynch at RB....that is some good stuff right there

Early in the season dont be surprised when you see Lockett, Baldwin and Jimmy lined up to one side with Willson as TE. I think they will definately use Jimmy at WR position more than they showed in the preseason

Be prepared for Jimmy to score on one of these this year.
PerfumedQuaintBighornedsheep.gif

BlankLeanKinglet.gif

Here is brock talking about the dallas game and bevel is brought up
[youtube]v4b9ktKgyJQ[/youtube]

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":97kc5isq said:
I've always suspected that Wilson didn't get to call his protection. Unger calls it first and Wilson adjust, now this year he gets to make the calls as he sees it first and let the center adjust.

This verify that pass protection calls wasn't Wilson's responsibility the first 3 years, this is the next step Wilson needs to take.

It's going to be interesting against the Rams for sure.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/0...ake-added-responsibility-pass-protection-open

The O-line protection calls have been the Center's responsibility forever. That's football 101. This isn't Wilson finally being able to accept normal QB responsibilities, this is Wilson having more put on his plate because our Center is too new to the position to make his own protection calls.

I don't like that we have to do this, and I hope it doesn't wind up biting us in the arse, but I will say that Russ in one of only a small handful of QB's in the NFL I think have the capacity to handle the extra responsibility.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Love it, he does his best work on the run anyway. Let Russ be Russ. Imagine that, using a quarterback and his strengths? And stop getting so cute at the end zone Bevell. I'm hoping to see him change the play a LOT this year.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ls8svj4 said:
Love it, he does his best work on the run anyway. Let Russ be Russ. Imagine that, using a quarterback and his strengths? And stop getting so cute at the end zone Bevell. I'm hoping to see him change the play a LOT this year.

So wait, you think this means Russ will be changing Bevel's play calls more? This is about Russ making protection calls for the play that's called not calling his own plays.

Sure within the natural progression of a new QB becoming a seasoned vet there may be a few more audibles, but I think people are misreading the situation here.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Anthony!":1me2c0h0 said:
Sports Hernia":1me2c0h0 said:
If so cool.

Yeah does this mean he can ignore the 25 scripted plays as he sees fit too? Hope so.
Good point, I hope so.