Reg: Brock & Salk caller (and the offense)

Laloosh

Reaction score
So I'm listening to Brock and Salk's Friday podcast (hr 3) and they have a caller that talked about how our offense isn't methodical enough and doesn't string plays together. Basically that we rely too much on the chunk plays during scrambles and defenses breaking down. Then Salk started talking about us not slowly and methodically working our way down the field.

Am I crazy for completely disagreeing with this? I know that we try to take advantage of the chaos but the stats tell a different story than that of a team that's dependent on the chunk play.

Drives: 175 (6th fewest)
Plays / drive: 6.0 (8th)
Yards / drive: 34.2 (5th)
Points / drive: 2.13 (8th)
Scoring %: 40.6 (5th)
Overall scoring: 394 (10th)

Someone set me straight on this. Are they just talking about the passing game?

Tical21

Reaction score
They're just talking about the passing game. The rhythm passing game isn't exactly our thing. We also don't seem to use one passing concept to setup another, as much as we simply try to predict the defense and call a play accordingly.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
If you go back and watch the NFC Championship (granted, it doesn't get uglier than that) and the Super Bowl, since they are the two most recent examples, you will see we sometimes even struggle to complete a single pass for long periods of a game, especially at the start.

We definitely don't seem to care too much about rhythm. But I think a lot of that is the chess game figuring out what defenses are going to do or setting up plays for later in a game.

Our offense can be frustrating to watch.... seems like we have to fight just to get a first down sometimes, but in the end things balance out. There is a reason why we led the league in chunk plays last year, it's the philosophy.

We will see if things change a bit with Graham onboard. I expect him to feast on 3rd downs, especially.

chris98251

Reaction score
We control the ball and make a defense cheat or get into lazy coverage, we then will pull the cord for a decisive difference maker play that can break your back relying on our defense to apply more pressure forcing more mistakes as teams become more desperate. I forget what Pete calls them exactly but is all set up. They wait for a tell by the defense to cut loose a certain play.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
This is another reason why I think we get to the top 5 in offense and top 1 or 2 defense.

The Jimmy addition will drop our 3 and out rate significantly.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
We have to many plays bogged down by dumb penalties, and mental mistakes. JMO

The other possible reason, the offense looks chunky is because our OL does not provide the protection and add to it, Wilson is not a typical pocket passer.

Several years ago, the 9ers under Smith ran a very methodical offense but, they had a pocket passer and a OL that provided protection.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2mb7iyt0 said:
We have to many plays bogged down by dumb penalties, and mental mistakes. JMO

The other possible reason, the offense looks chunky is because our OL does not provide the protection and add to it, Wilson is not a typical pocket passer.

Several years ago, the 9ers under Smith ran a very methodical offense but, they had a pocket passer and a OL that provided protection.
\
I agree with the oline we have had the a top 3 hit, hurried and sacked QB in the league, who also has been the top rushing QB in the league combined with wr corps that till this year were ranked bottom 10, an oline that is amongst the most penalized, and a HC who is very TO adverse. You combine all of that and you have a recipe for a disjointed passing game. This year who knows, however for anyone who goes back and looks at how we do in the 2 minute drill, we move the ball , well, efficient, and with a rhythem. Again this year who knows.