This loss is on the Defense

StoneCold

Reaction score
All the Bevel hater threads ignore that our D gave up big chunks of yardage to what was supposed to be a weak offense. What was up with the wide open receivers all day? And why were they able to escape so many 3rd and longs?

Still, not worried as I believe the D will get better as they play together and get the communication and assignments down. But we need to do a better job against the Packers.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd concur. Giving up a 37 yard TD pass with 1 minute left is about as bad as it gets.

There was also a 3rd and 15 given up on that drive, one earlier in the game, and a 3rd and 18 given up that I remember off of the top of my head.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
St. Louis is here for good. We got tore up by a third string running back. Gurley will feast on our current D.

Exittium

Reaction score
I'm at a loss of how our pass rushers were so "hot/cold" BUT then again the amount of holding as pretty decent to.. jerseys being held left and right especially on those long passes. But when they'd run half out team was in the back field tackling them.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
The other thing I'm hating about this loss is it looks like people are going to be hating on Dion. He clearly slipped on the TD play and that can happen to anyone. What I don't know is if the wide open receivers were his fault. Couldn't have been all of them. Someone with better knowledge of schemes and responsibilities will have to clue me in.

bryantology79

Reaction score
StoneCold":2vg4zv7o said:
The other thing I'm hating about this loss is it looks like people are going to be hating on Dion. He clearly slipped on the TD play and that can happen to anyone. What I don't know is if the wide open receivers were his fault. Couldn't have been all of them. Someone with better knowledge of schemes and responsibilities will have to clue me in.

agree...rams coaches got a king/ace on that mismatch call

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
bryantology79":h19ifl9e said:
how many 3 and outs did our offense have?

I would think that 31 points should be enough to win with our elite Defense?

I'll bet that our Offense had as many 3 and outs as the number 3rd down conversions our D gave up.

bryantology79

Reaction score
seemed like richard had to blitz more than we usually do to compensate for our bad coverage. it paid off big with carey's trifecta but kinda left us vulnerable more often

Vpk0718

Reaction score
StoneCold":1lmvtcc1 said:
bryantology79":1lmvtcc1 said:
how many 3 and outs did our offense have?

I would think that 31 points should be enough to win with our elite Defense?

I'll bet that our Offense had as many 3 and outs as the number 3rd down conversions our D gave up.

Considering that the defense only gave up 21 points and had multiple turnovers, I'd say that was good enough. Never mind that 7 of those 31 came from the defense itself.

Not going to blame them for a punt return TD and two field goals with bad field position. That's 13 points scored by the Rams where the defense gave up maybe 30 yards.

Defense was still great today aside from one terrible play, and it's sad to me that they're getting a lot of the blame. We would never have made a comeback if not for the D.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That loss is on Bevell and some of the headscratching decisions by the FO in terms of personnel.

If the offense produces (given some really short fields it failed to take advantage of), we win. If it can just get into FG range in overtime, we can at least tie (or win if we actually try for a TD).

justafan

Reaction score
You think about the team 3 years ago and how many coaches and players are gone.We are on our 3rd DC,new DB,Dline coach LB coach.
I couldnt count how many DBs are gone.3 CBs good enough to start in this league,several backups and special teams players have been plucked off out team.
It will be a process and they will get better but they may never be as good as the LOB.Those Ds had great coaches,depth and talent who might have been as good as any unit that has ever been.It will get a lot better its a long season.

But I do think the O is going to have to play a bigger part until this D gets on track.

Rob12

Reaction score
StoneCold":2bvw6eca said:
All the Bevel hater threads ignore that our D gave up big chunks of yardage to what was supposed to be a weak offense. What was up with the wide open receivers all day? And why were they able to escape so many 3rd and longs?

Still, not worried as I believe the D will get better as they play together and get the communication and assignments down. But we need to do a better job against the Packers.

Very troublesome. Especially since the Rams didn't have their top two running backs.

The D was as bad as I've seen it under PC today. Not a good first test for Kris Richard.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
StoneCold":13edqwtl said:

No one is ignoring how bad the defense played, I mentioned it in every Bevell thread I posted in. .....but to act like our OC's craptastic playcalling today had nothing do with this loss, is silly and naive at best.

Rob12

Reaction score
StoneCold":3sc5t7q7 said:

I'm a huge supporter of Dion but don't make excuses for him. He's a grown man that was a ghost on the stat sheet today and gave up the lead. He's in over his head.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Rams had 8 plays of 20 yards or more. Wtf? Thats not the LOB i remember

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Seems losing Quinn and Norton, then having Kam out, with Maxwell gone.... were dealing with some issues. Not surprising really.

I think it'll get worked out, Kam will be back, the LOB will get back into sync, and Richard will get his feet under him.

Funny cat 13

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Agreed. The defense gave up 27 points. A team that gives up 34 points loses 95% of the time. The defense there today was not the usual Seattle defense of the past 3 years. This one looked like the one playing in 2009. They couldn't stop Benny Cunningham, Jared Cook, or Nick Foles....let that sink in. Hopefully there is major improvement next week as they will be facing a better QB, RB, and WRs.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
StoneCold said:

Still, not worried as I believe the D will get better as they play together and get the communication and assignments down

:stirthepot: . But we need to do a better job against the Packers.[/quote

Yes I agree I hope we can at least go 2-2 for the first 4 games and build from there the worst scenario .

bandiger

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2o26tsgi said:
Agreed. The defense gave up 27 points. A team that gives up 34 points loses 95% of the time. The defense there today was not the usual Seattle defense of the past 3 years. This one looked like the one playing in 2009. They couldn't stop Benny Cunningham, Jared Cook, or Nick Foles....let that sink in. Hopefully there is major improvement next week as they will be facing a better QB, RB, and WRs.

You are right about that, all this money on defense and they couldn't stop some third rate RB, a second rate TE, and a suspect QB.