Is there room for me on the Fire Bevell bandwagon?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm done.

And it has nothing to do with the last play of today's game.

Look, I'm a contrarian by nature and I don't like being part of a mob, so I've spent the last three seasons trying to find excuses for Darell Bevell's simplistic scheme and boneheaded playcalling. I've reminded myself that our receivers are physically mediocre (do Jermaine Kearse and Doug Baldwin REALLY scare DC's?). I've theorized that experience limitations at multiple positions might be dictating the scheme. I've remembered that Pete prefers a simplistic scheme executed to perfection than a complicated scheme done bad. I've done everything I could to give Bevell the benefit of a doubt.

I would then turn to Russell Wilson and remind myself that he's still not making all his reads, still holding onto the ball, and still overthrowing receivers at the worst moments.

On a day like today, I would normally try to remind myself that this is probably the best defense Seattle will face all year, one specifically drafted and coached to contain none other than one Russell Wilson. I would also console myself with the fact that the loss was down to several other factors, including the defense regressing to 2010 level.

And, of course, that it's only Week 1, where weird things always happen.

But now Bevell is the laughingstock of the NFL. His overthinking finally cost him on the national stage, and I have to reevaluate. The problem with the Last Play in the Super Bowl wasn't that its target wasn't Lynch. It wasn't even that the target was Lockette. Bevell could have been throwing to Gronk on that play and it would have been a low percentage play BECAUSE IT'S ONE OF ONLY THREE GOALLINE PLAYS THE SEAHAWKS HAVE IN THEIR PLAYBOOK AND THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS DIDN'T EVEN NEED TO CHEAT TO SEE IT COMING.

And today I once again saw the night and day difference between Bevell calling the plays in normal time and Wilson calling them in hurry up. Granted, the hurry up plays are easy for Wilson because they're usually called against soft zone prevent. But I just can't hold out anymore. Wilson is bolder, smarter, and more successful when he calls the plays. Downfield strikes happen. Smart bootlegs happen. Wilson gets to use those legs of his instead of standing in the pocket. I remember the read-option not happening in the 2012 Bears game until Wilson pointed out to Bevell that it was wide open. I remember the time Lynch needing to tell Wilson to "take the game over", and later flipping Bevell off from the field.

Then, finally, the last play today happens. It's not about Lynch not making the play. Why was he even needed on fourth down? Oh, that's right...because on the prior two plays, Bevell WENT BACK TO CONSECUTIVE #$%@ BUBBLE SCREENS AND GOT HIS ASS HANDED TO HIM BY ONE OF THE BEST DEFENSES IN THE LEAGUE AT STOPPING THEM.

I'm sick of cute.

I'm sick of effeminate bubble screens to small receivers with no quicks.

I'm sick of incessant stop routes.

I'm sick of a scheme so dependent on isolation routes for unremarkable route runners that everyone from former head coaches to SI analysts are calling it out for its simplicity.

I'm sick of empty backfields with bad/no hot routes for a conservative QB. Against the Rams.

I'm sick of 50/50 balls to mediocre receivers on third and four.

I'm sick of play action at all the wrong times (4th and 14?).

I'm sick of an emasculated lack of deep strikes.

I'm sick of paying out the nose for big-name players and then trying to use them as decoys before using them as players.

I'm sick of Lynch being forgotten.

I am sick of the bootleg and the read-option being remembered only about once every three games.

I am sick of a playbook that contains about five different plays.

I'm sick of first-half gameplans that are so reliably bad I can tell the quarter by them.

And most of all, I'm sick of excuses.

Even with the Rams' defense forcing Seattle into a conservative game plan, you cannot explain away all of the above with it. Bevell does not put his existing talent in position to succeed, he does not use his lesser talent in the right ways, he does not stick what works, and he does not succeed when assuming that a surprise bonehead play will cause defenders to fall over in shock and lead to touchdowns.

We are not two-time NFC champions because of Bevell. We are two-time NFC champions because of Russell Wilson. His greatest highlights have happened when Bevell's play intentions broke down and Wilson starts improvising. Bevell's career success has come with possibly the two greatest improvising QBs ever to play the game. On any other team...literally, any other team, Bevell would be wasting his talent, and I doubt we'd be any better than a perennial 9-7.

50% of the mistakes made today were individual. The rest were made by one man.

I am on the bandwagon; pass the beer.

FIRE. DARELL. BEVELL.

bandiger

Reaction score
Exactly why I was done with Bevel over a year ago. Bravo :thirishdrinkers:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm still debating whether I hate the bubble screen passes or if they serve their purpose.

On one hand, if you it as an extension of a run play, it probably averaged 4 yards an attempt. If Lynch gained 4 yard every catch we'd be pretty happy about it.

On the other hand, we suck at running it. We get 4 yards a play but barely! Russ can't throw a screen pass without double pumping and the receivers aren't built to break tackles.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3i24u56j said:
I'm done.

I swear to god... If I see a damn screen to Baldwin one more time... I am going to fly to Seattle, take a cab to the nearest sporting goods store, buy the best driver they have, take a cab to Bevell's residence, ring the door bell, and drive that club right into his nuts.

I would be a little more forgiving if it was Lockett, but no, we have him BLOCKING for Baldwin. It's like I'm watching a training video and any second the video will pause and ask "What did they do wrong?".

Optimus25

Reaction score
Wow I'm kinda jealous. My repetitive posts after the super bowl weren't that good. But i had the same sentiment then and now. Are we seriously the worst offense in the world in the early stages of important games on purpose?.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Welcome to the Bevell hate train. You'll be given a complimentary jacket and mug. Please enjoy your stay.

Rainger

Reaction score
Omg Montana I have always loved your post but this the very best post you have ever done. So well put. Please someone get it to Pete Carroll

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Re: Bubbles.

If your QB can't see short middle, what else are you calling to put the pass rush on its heels? We gonna run screens and bomb down field every play?

We got positive yardage on nearly all of them, if not all.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Yxes1122":2ao487s4 said:
MontanaHawk05":2ao487s4 said:
I'm done.

I swear to god... If I see a damn screen to Baldwin one more time... I am going to fly to Seattle, take a cab to the nearest sporting goods store, buy the best driver they have, take a cab to Bevell's residence, ring the door bell, and drive that club right into his nuts.

I would be a little more forgiving if it was Lockett, but no, we have him BLOCKING for Baldwin. It's like I'm watching a training video and any second the video will pause and ask "What did they do wrong?".

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I do think that Pete has missed on drafting offensive personnel too often. We're limited in what we can effectively do. But you can still ask, did Lockett have to be the one blocking for Baldwin? Why couldn't it have been Kearse (a better blocker) blocking for Lockett?

That's why this is cuteness by Bevell. Even if he's limited, he's not using what he does have. I think he gets too overly worried that what works will be shut down too easily, so he tries to stay away from it. It's only hamstringing him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well to give Bevell some credit with only 6 plays in the playbook Fred Jackson was able to learn the offense pretty quick.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2ycfscm6 said:

If your QB can't see short middle, what else are you calling to put the pass rush on its heels? We gonna run screens and bomb down field every play?

Bubbles would be better if thrown to someone more cut out for them, like Lockett. Instead, they're thrown to Doug Baldwin. Last year it was occasionally Bryan Walters, who shouldn't even have been on the field.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2qq0bbvm said:
DavidSeven":2qq0bbvm said:

Bubbles would be better if thrown to someone more cut out for them, like Lockett. Instead, they're thrown to Doug Baldwin. Last year it was occasionally Bryan Walters, who shouldn't even have been on the field.

Lockett definitely looks better at them. I don't think we should throw them to the same guy every time, but yeah, Lockett should get them more than anyone else.

bryantology79

Reaction score
Yxes1122":30n9chqj said:

"lockett just needs to be more aggressive at the point of attack so he doesn't need to hold" --darrell bubble

Hendo66

Reaction score
Dink & Dunk. Very brutal to watch. I've tried to not just join the chorus with all the Bevell hate but I'm in.