More no huddle?

jake206

Reaction score
Or more uptempo?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/643229531864612865[/tweet]

Interesting ESPN article...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Not to hijack, but there is several progressions a quarterback makes off the field, in a bit of a theory I have. One is to get rid of a player he doesn't like.
Tate, Harvin. Check.

Another is to take a bit of juice, even a job, from a coach. Wilson won't ask for Bevell's job, but make no mistake, for a PC guy like Wilson, this is damn near mutiny.

And I love it. Our QB wants to call plays. Because to a QB that is what that no huddle means. To me, it means Wilson knows the calls coming into his headset are not as good as what he thinks he is seeing.

I have a secondary theory that all great QBs are really type A dudes. I have been looking for the days when Wilson lets me know he too is a type A dude. I hope this is it.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
jake206":1kkecjje said:
Or more uptempo?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/643229531864612865[/tweet]

Interesting ESPN article...

Music to my ears.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think it's more about the tempo than the calls.

The pass rush is going to slow down if you run the plays a little faster. That will help with this offensive line, and, thus, that will help Russ. There are also benefits to running a slower offense (from a defensive and identity standpoint).

Almost all offenses generally run more efficient in no-huddle. Look at Chip. Look at Peyton. But there are trade-offs. You run the risk of becoming a finesse team (Denver) or compromising your defense (Phillly) if you go overboard with it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3qdo4byf said:

The pass rush is going to slow down if you run the plays a little faster. That will help with this offensive line. There are also benefits to running a slower offense (from a defensive and identity standpoint).

Almost all offenses generally run more efficient in no-huddle. Look at Chip. Look at Peyton. But there are trade-offs. You run the risk of becoming a finesse team (Denver) or compromising your defense (Phillly).
No huddle does not mean hurry up.

It means the D cannot switch personnel at will. Which does not mesh with our personnel package loving OC

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3uxj4dus said:
DavidSeven":3uxj4dus said:

The pass rush is going to slow down if you run the plays a little faster. That will help with this offensive line. There are also benefits to running a slower offense (from a defensive and identity standpoint).

Almost all offenses generally run more efficient in no-huddle. Look at Chip. Look at Peyton. But there are trade-offs. You run the risk of becoming a finesse team (Denver) or compromising your defense (Phillly).

It means the D cannot switch personnel at will. Which does not mesh with our personnel package loving OC

I realize this. But Russ is referring specifically to uptempo i.e. hurry up in the article.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2suh8dpf said:
Scottemojo":2suh8dpf said:
DavidSeven":2suh8dpf said:

I realize this. But Russ is referring specifically to uptempo i.e. hurry up in the article.
thanks, I didn't know that. I still would like it. We are at our best inside 2 minutes. Until the play after the timeout.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
All that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing them turn to it a bit more. At least to start the season. Russell does seem to play way, way better when he can catch a rhythm.

nategreat

Reaction score
I hope we do this. It seemed, to my eye anyway, that Russ changed a couple plays at the line of scrimmage today. Maybe he just changed the blocking scheme, but I noticed on those plays they had big gains for the most part. Another reason to maybe take the handcuffs off of Russell Wilson a bit. At least unlock one side of them.

emurri

Reaction score
I like the idea. We did it with T-Jax. I could see us using it to start the game and getting Wilson in rhythm and then start waring down defenses in the second half. The only problem I see right now is the pressure it could put on our defense because right now they do not look good and if we have to many short offensive series then they are out on the field much more and I don't think the can come close to holding up. Plus Carroll seems to prefer a ball controlled, defensive type game. But we do have to do something to combat this horrible o-line and help Russ and this might be the answer.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Its simp0le mix it in go uptempo, then hurry up, then slow it down. This is not rocket science and by the way up temp doe snot mean you still cannot use 6 minutes or more of clock. It just means you get to the line quicker and do not allow them to make changes or the dline to get the wind.