Jimmy Graham blocking ?

Rocket

Reaction score
Did anyone pay closer attention than I as to Jimmy's pass blocking?

I didn't see it happen, but that's not proof that it didn't.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Rocket":2jfr0i8g said:
Did anyone pay closer attention than I as to Jimmy's pass blocking?

I didn't see it happen, but that's not proof that it didn't.

saying you did not see him blocking would be being kind he is not a blocker.

Polk738

Reaction score
I can only remember one good block off the top of my head but for some reason I felt like JG was used more as a blocker yesterday than a receiver. This is so irritating, I read that article on Field Gulls about what the Rams think of the Seahawks passing attack and I couldn't believe some of the pics I saw, we could've dinked and dunked the whole game with how soft their zones were!

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I saw him in pass pro once early in the first half. I only remember because I threw up a little bit in my mouth when I saw it.

King Dog

Reaction score
JerHawk81":309cs3ix said:
I'm pretty sure I saw him in pass pro once early in the first half. I only remember because I threw up a little bit in my mouth when I saw it.
Ha ha. Me too. I felt as if my blood was going to start boiling.

OP
OP
Rocket

Rocket

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3t0g3gcm said:
Rocket":3t0g3gcm said:
Did anyone see Jimmy Graham block?
Even poorly?

Read SomersetHawk's post. He details a couple of times where Jimmy actually made some good blocks. I think the guy is a tremendous athlete who's willing to put in the work, but we need him for his receiving ability, not for his blocking.
Thanks.

jonkchar

Reaction score
It'll come. We had a quarterback who *just* took over protection play calling and they played against probably the best dline in the league. Jimmy's going to get a few catches soon enough :3:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Graham looked fairly good vs DBs.

Fairly decent vs LBs.

Inconsistent vs DEs in Run Blocking. (Got some push at times but couldn't sustain)

Horrendous vs DEs in Pass Protection.

Bad News: Is that its probably going to take Graham the whole season to kind of progress towards consistently average blocking ability.

Good News: Is that he looked like a step above Luke Wilson in all of those regards.

If the Seahawks can survive 2014, with Willson and Helfet getting most of the snaps at TE, blocking and all.

Don't see how Graham and Willson can be any worse than that, they shouldn't be.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He did one terrific block to push a DL away from Wilson as he was about to be sacked. Allowed RW to scramble right and complete a pass.

However, he spent way too much time blocking until the 4th quarter when they used him as they should -- the dynamic, pass-catching mismatch he needs to be. They need to work out pronto how to maximise this guy within this offense because he was a total non-factor until the end.

kf3339

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":xutdnz7n said:
He did one terrific block to push a DL away from Wilson as he was about to be sacked. Allowed RW to scramble right and complete a pass.

However, he spent way too much time blocking until the 4th quarter when they used him as they should -- the dynamic, pass-catching mismatch he needs to be. They need to work out pronto how to maximise this guy within this offense because he was a total non-factor until the end.

Exactly.

Hawks46

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2pkdm9l1 said:

Here's a question for you and the other folks that watch more film than me: in our offense, does the TE either block, or go out into a route ?

I ask because traditionally, an inline TE would block, then release into a route. Many, many offenses have this option and set up. I keep hearing from folks around here that "Graham is blocking, it's such a waste" and I wonder why he can't block a LB or DE, then release into a route. Hell, it's one of the most effective ways to use a TE.

So, it's either blocking or receiving with us ? And I ask because we don't have an issue with splitting TE's out wide either, Miller, McCoy, and Willson have all done it.

Alexander

Reaction score
As for how Graham was used, he blocked on run plays 31.6 percent of the time, per Pro Football Focus. He went out in pass routes 63.2 percent of the time. And he stayed in to pass block on 5.3 percent of the snaps. It was only one game, but Graham was used as a blocker 36.9 percent of the time, compared to 30.5 percent last season.

The above is from Sheil Kapadia. More at the link below.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-sea...ing-jimmy-graham-involved-will-be-an-emphasis

So for those of you who think Graham was mostly used as a blocker, it simply wasn't true. He was used more frequently as a blocker than he was last year in New Orleans, but the difference wasn't huge. Probably amounted to about 4 or 5 plays. I'm guessing Jimmy got more involved in the second half because Wilson looked his way more often. The only time I recall Jimmy really being misused was 3rd and goal with about 8 seconds left in the first half, when they ran play action and Jimmy was nowhere near the end zone. In that situation, Jimmy should never NOT be in the end zone ready to catch a pass.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Here are the numbers from Sheil Kapadia at ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... n-emphasis

He was used to pass block on just 5% of his plays. Overall, he blocked 36.9% of the time (including running plays), compared to 30.5 percent last year with the Saints. However, Seattle runs more than New Orleans, so you would expect there would be more blocking plays for Seattle.

Edit: Alexander beat me to it by a hair.

StoneCold

Reaction score
He also caught 6 passes. If he does that every game he'll end up with 96 catches. More than any receiver in the Pete Carroll era.

SC