This is supposed to be fun.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
It's sports.
It's entertainment.
Its should be fun, win or lose. We only get 16 (20 or so if we're lucky) of these a year. Might as well enjoy them.
We lost, i was still entertained by a good football game.
That is all.
Carry on.
Go Hawks.

Seahawks4eva

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2e8q5myu said:
It's sports.
It's entertainment.
Its should be fun, win or lose. We only get 16 (20 or so if we're lucky) of these a year. Might as well enjoy them.
That is all.
Carry on.
Go Hawks.

We all know this is code for fire Bevell. I like your style sir and I concur. :mrgreen:

LymonHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3txcguh7 said:
It's sports.
It's entertainment.
That is all.
Carry on.
Go Hawks.

Are you trying to bring rationale to this board? Especially after a loss? Shame on you, shame, shame! :les:

HansGruber

Reaction score
I like the post and agree, but must admit I enjoyed my round of golf after the game more. :p

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
It's always like this here. It was a great game. The offense put up 17 on the Rams defense. That's not awful. Last year they were the 9th best defense per dvoa. Considering how their front 7 match up so well with our shaky oline, I'd say we did pretty well. Thing was, there really wasn't any improvement. Graham looked great that second half, when they made it a point to push it to him. It truly looked like they were telling Wilson "You will throw it to Graham, period." for that one drive where he scored. Oddly, I heard it was Lockett that the Rams began double teaming. If true, one would wonder why we didn't go to Graham sooner? Maybe that's when we did, I don't know.

Really thought we were going to win that one. Then the onsides kick, or, since Carroll denied it afterwards, should we call it the Nonsides Kick? Anyways, after the Nonsides Kick, I knew the curse had just bitten us.

soje

Reaction score
If you can react like that after a loss, you must be a more evolved human being.

Should the sky fall every time the Seahawks lose? No, but it sure puts a damper on my Sunday afternoon.

I call it entertainment when the result of a game doesn't change my emotional state, like watching Oakland play Jacksonville. When the Seahawks play, it's something different.

JSeahawks":2phgzjoj said:
It's sports.
It's entertainment.
That is all.
Carry on.
Go Hawks.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Football is fun and I had lots of it. The Williams pick 6, Graham's first TD, Lockett going off on that punt.

However, we are a SB contender. We have a chance to win it all again and greatly improve the standing of the franchise. We will only have 2-3 of these years left most likely so we cant be losing games like this and still look back on it without worries.

When we were still an average team we wouldn't have cared so much because any decent record was alright, but we are now in a spot where we are so good that a 12-4 would be a bit of a disappointment and if we play as lackluster overall as yesterday we won't even be coming close to 12-4.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Well after what happened in the Super Bowl last year I know I'm still feeling on edge and I'm waiting to see if this coaching staff can actually recover and win the division . Right now this season could go either way every win is critical and 0-2 is very likely.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Saying "it's just football" is like saying "it's just sex".

Neither are the end of the world but life would be a lot less enjoyable without both. And with football as with sex, even when it's bad (we lose) it's still better than not having any!

Areyou

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
"What are you? Dr. Phil? Get outta here go... go swing the bat." - Ben Wrightman ;)

Yeah, I'll side with those who rationally state that it's not "just a game". If it's just a game or just football... I'm not interested. But, it's more than that and because of that... it grabs my attention. But, for those that can't get beyond the sting of a loss... good advice in the OP.

All this talk comes up every time there's any uncertainty. A wise .netter once said this is a passion, but not a priority. While we all stake the claim of "fans", some "follow" this team with a passion. That doesn't mean we got priorities mixed up. So, that's where the OP errs in trying to be helpful. Passion can be shown distinct from priorities. It doesn't mean those who decide to blow off some steam in sports forum are off-kilter.

Yeah, it's football... not "just" football. Part of what makes the game great and enjoyable is that it's only 16 game regular season. It's not like the NBA or MLB where there's a bazillion games and each one isn't that meaningful. I've heard it said before that football is the greatest "water cooler" or "break room" sport. It's great because it fosters a week long discussion. .Net is just a modern, sophisticated break room. I'll stop there and not describe the differences. But, you get the picture.

Yeah, it's entertainment - but, that doesn't always go your way. If you're let down after seeing a movie that didn't meet your expectations, people tend to share that. When a game doesn't go our way - I say ESPECIALLY Football (the ultimate team game, if you ask me), we're human and will likely display some passion about that if we have any sort of genuine pulse for a team.

We talk about fans whether they're "genuine / real" or not. We all get pretty well invested time-wise, emotionally, mentally, etc. We've also gotten pretty good at kicking others when they're down and make that part of the experience. But, you take the good with the bad. Still, the losses (granted only one important divisional game) do sting a little more during this era of high expectations.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I had a blast watching the game yesterday. Emotional rollercoaster, and just a great game overall. Just gotta' work on that ending :lol:

tom sawyer

Reaction score
It was the most entertaining Seahawks season game so far this year, I'll give you that. I enjoyed most just before our last offensive play, yeah. if we had passed the ball deep and got a touchdown and won, everyone be like... why didn't they just give the ball to Lynch?

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
The NFL is a business. Is it fun when Apple stock drops 5% when you are a major shareholder? I buy tickets, memorabilia, apparel, NFL Sunday Ticket, Game Pass, etc. I am invested financially and emotionally. Thus I've earned the right to complain about the product I paid for.

Anyway, this same narrative occurs every year. Team loses, board melts down, self-annointed rational super-fans remonstrate the rest of us who dare question the intelligence of dubious decisions, etc.. You can set your watch by it.

Pete and John have earned my trust. Some of the criticism of them is unwarranted and extreme. But they are not infallible and it's entirely appropriate to Monday Morning QB some of their questionable calls. It's part of the "fun".

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":g9c1vomy said:
As the wise Pete Carroll once said... "it's football, it's just football"

Good to hear it doesn't ruin your life like it once did. Sounds like you are able to be a passionate fan without it usurping the important priorities of your life.

I generally agree with you in terms of overall perspective, but it's also a very well-paid gig for PC. He cares about it, not just a job or for the money. So, not saying that. But, even if he said that... I suspect it means more to him than what is being implied here. And, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I don't think many, if any, coaches can be successful at his level if they truly look at it as minimized as just that stand alone comment might suggest.

I sorta think that for fans who stick it out with a team for 4 decades... there's stronger attachment there than a guy who has been with the team for what 5 years? Coaches and players come and go. But, when you're a fan all your life, that team probably means a bit more to us. We also have the "luxury" of caring more about the results on the field without the business side of it being part of our personal experience.

The Seahawks should never be a priority in the same way like personal, meaningful things like God, family, health, etc. So, Kudos to you.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
This is actually something that all of us football fans could learn. This is definitely not unique to Seahawks fans stressing and what not after a game.

You see it on every single fan forum out there, even on the forums of some of the teams who won! It's crazy sometimes. That's part of being a fan though.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well the reaction after the game (and even if we had won), is somewhat cathartic. We all know why people vent, especially in situations when they have a stake in the outcome but no way to affect that outcome.

And it was the first game of the season, which means you wait for what seems a year, go through preseason with hopes and concerns - then go to the regular season to see in the first game that that a lot of the issues in preseason continue to plague us and some of the preseason gifts did not seem to make it to regular season.

So a loss is a big deal after all that build up.

But I think the other issue is the sample size is 1. Is what we saw in game 1 a trend? an aberration? or the new normal? Nobody knows because you only have 1 game to work with. So then it is just your assessment of what are going to be consistent features (good and bad) in games.

I think a lot of expectations were set really high too, and maybe that was odd considering just how much change this franchise endured. We lost some really important members of the coaching staff. So how much does that affect the product/quality?

Finally, you have a really dangerous opponent looming and there is chaos with a key member missing.

Considering all that it isn't crazy to be worried, but you could just as easily point out - it isn't helpful either.

BUT it still feels better to b*tch about it.