Rams 'knew' Marshawn Lynch would get ball at end

marko358

Reaction score
With the vanilla play calling all afternoon, they knew most plays since we only use a small handful of them.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
marko358":1bl5ras2 said:
With the vanilla play calling all afternoon, they knew most plays since we only use a small handful of them.

So In the superbowl we pass.... FIRE BEVELL.
In this game we Run..... FIRE BEVELL....

???

justafan

Reaction score
It doesnt matter what he did there.If Lynch gets the 1st everyone says thats what we should have done against the Pats.
Personally I think it should have been a pass since our Oline against the Rams Dline wont win the power game at this point.We were able to get a lot of 4 or 5 yd passes all day against them.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
gowazzu02":148253w5 said:
marko358":148253w5 said:

???

Fire Bevell because we used a lead blocker on just four runs all game.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
That's because most of the game Bevell was looking at the back of the playbook and someone on the Rams sidelines had binoculars!

JimmyG

Reaction score
gowazzu02":mngy0kvo said:
marko358":mngy0kvo said:

???
Nevermind the fact that Lynch missed the hole / it was a slow exchange between Wilson/Lynch.

It's almost as if there's more to playcalling than just picking a play, and that there's these things on the field called "football players" that need to do this thing called "properly execute".

seahawks08

Reaction score
Knowing is one thing, we will run down your throat and and we know you won't stop us is another thing. Yesterday we didn't reach that level. We will get better, but the only play call I was upset about Bevell yesterday was empty back sets, made 11 or 12 of them, none of them ever worked. When we play doesn't work, you are playing into the strength of your opponent to keep blitzing and getting to the QB with those formation. In an ideal world, that makes it easier for the QB to make adjustments, but yesterday nobody seemed to have practiced this drill.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
And would it have mattered anyway?

With the way our offense was moving the ball yesterday, do you think we would have just converted and punched the ball in for a TD anyway?

It was 4th down for a reason, because our offense couldn't move the sticks.

The failed conversion was a symptom of the problem not the problem. THAT is the reason the Fire Bevell is relevant.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The only criticism I'd make is running the play out of the read/option shotgun, or any play out of that formation in that situation.

There's a ton of stuff you can do out of a goalline set, and people, like, use the set in short yardage situations for a reason.

Trying to run a read/option on 4th & 1 is like entering a Lamborghini into a tractor pull; the read option preys on utlizing open space, and unless you're going to let your balls hang out and PA out of it and go over the top it's just the wrong formation in that situation (DL crashes down, LB matches with SS help crept down behind while you play single deep with CBs shading in to jam up and cover slants routes).

iigakusei

Reaction score
Flea flicker for a TD would have worked there....cmon Bevell!

JimmyG

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2qu61zfq said:
The only criticism I'd make is running the play out of the read/option shotgun, or any play out of that formation in that situation.

There's a ton of stuff you can do out of a goalline set, and people, like, use the set in short yardage situations for a reason.
There's also a ton of stuff you can do out of the formation we ran out of, like the read option (which happens to be a potent weapon when you've got one of the most agile quarterbacks in NFL history). There have been countless times when Wilson has ran for a 20-30 yard gain practically untouched out of the read option in similar X-and-short situations.

EDIT: did you edit your post and add the read option line at the end, or did I just somehow miss it the first time I read your post?

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
JimmyG":2nbya2fv said:
gowazzu02":2nbya2fv said:
marko358":2nbya2fv said:

???
Nevermind the fact that Lynch missed the hole / it was a slow exchange between Wilson/Lynch.

It's almost as if there's more to playcalling than just picking a play, and that there's these things on the field called "football players" that need to do this thing called "properly execute".

There's also more to play calling than picking run or pass. Like picking the right formation for a short yardage situation on 4th down. Hint, that formation is not the shotgun.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
JimmyG":2s2f8d7t said:
Popeyejones":2s2f8d7t said:

There's also a ton of stuff you can do out of the formation we ran out of, like the read option (which happens to be a potent weapon when you've got one of the most agile quarterbacks in NFL history). There have been countless times when Wilson has ran for a 20-30 yard gain practically untouched out of the read option in similar X-and-short situations.

EDIT: did you edit your post and add the read option line at the end, or did I just somehow miss it the first time I read your post?

That is because Bevell insists on the illusion of trickery. No one thought we were actually going to pass in that situation, despite using the idiotic shotgun formation one yard away from the first down marker. We should have lined up in an I-formation with a lead blocker.

JimmyG

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1t3dg8qy said:
There's also more to play calling than picking run or pass. Like picking the right formation for a short yardage situation on 4th down. Hint, that formation is not the shotgun.
Hint: this isn't Madden, "shotgun" does not have to have negative connotations in this situation, it plays very strongly to the personnel we have and their skillsets.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I think EVERY team knows that in a short yardage situation with the game on the line, outside of Marshawn having a 30 yard day, he's getting the ball.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1looikdp said:
gowazzu02":1looikdp said:
marko358":1looikdp said:

???

Fire Bevell because we used a lead blocker on just four runs all game.
So having a lead blocker would have done what to the penetration?