No huddle offense

northseahawk

Reaction score
Its obviously clear that RW is at his best when under time pressure or in hurry up offense. And I've never seen a team function better in 1 minute offense than RW led seahawks.

So why can't we use the no huddle/hurry up offense more. Our qb, our offense is build for this stuff. All these weapons, but then running the same pathetic and predictable offense gets us 1 or 2 first downs the whole first half. Why not start out the game with high tempo offense!

redhawk253

Reaction score
No its not the no huddle.. its when bevell stops calling the plays and russ takes over. Russ is a better oc than bevell.

Basis4day

Reaction score
The simple explanation is that the Hawks like to wear down the opponent using long sustained drives which will lead to fatigue of the opponent's defense over the course of the game while keeping your own defense fresh. The drawback with the no-huddle is when it doesn't work it wears out your own defense and lets the opponent dictate the clock. One of the reasons that the Hawks are so successful with it is because they use it late in games when the opponent is fatigued.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":kg020m6s said:
The simple explanation is that the Hawks like to wear down the opponent using long sustained drives which will lead to fatigue of the opponent's defense over the course of the game while keeping your own defense fresh. The drawback with the no-huddle is when it doesn't work it wears out your own defense and lets the opponent dictate the clock. One of the reasons that the Hawks are so successful with it is because they use it late in games when the opponent is fatigued.

Actually you can still use no huddle and maintain long sustained drives. Use the no huddle to get to the line of scrimmage quickly to keep the defense from subbing then wait to snap the ball until the play clock is low. No a 2 minute offense/up tempo all game would lead to the issues you mentioned.

Tical21

Reaction score
My hypothesis is that it actually has very little to do with the tempo or whether or not we huddle. I think the issue is the urgency. Real true urgency isn't replicated by being faked. I don't think going uptempo ends up helping our offense a ton, and also flies right in the face of our identity and the way we want to play and the success we have had recently. Worth a try though? Sure, I suppose why not?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tical21":2bv7sxaw said:
My hypothesis is that it actually has very little to do with the tempo or whether or not we huddle. I think the issue is the urgency. Real true urgency isn't replicated by being faked. I don't think going uptempo ends up helping our offense a ton, and also flies right in the face of our identity and the way we want to play and the success we have had recently. Worth a try though? Sure, I suppose why not?

Think you're onto something. Sometimes it feels like Russ is thinking about his completion percentage/efficiency rating more than what's potentially available. Not saying that's a conscious thing that's happening, but just the way it feels occasionally. He seems to let that go when our backs are against the wall or we're in a two minute situation. It could be that urgency simply heightens the adrenaline needed to react quickly and remove self doubt.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Agree with both of you but I think the simplest answer is that we are fundamentally risk averse from the top down. Carroll believes in his defense and the turnover differential and as a result we intentionally have slightly worse offensive outcomes on average in order to lower our risk. When the sense of urgency is there then this math changes and we start to become risk seeking. Our scoring efficiency naturally goes up as a result and so far both Russ and Bevell have been pretty good (or lucky) at increasing risk without rolling snake eyes.

Tical21

Reaction score
DavidSeven":xikhj3u7 said:
Tical21":xikhj3u7 said:

Think you're onto something. Sometimes it feels like Russ is thinking about his completion percentage/efficiency rating more than what's potentially available. Not saying that's a conscious thing that's happening, but just the way it feels occasionally. He seems to let that go when our backs are against the wall or we're in a two minute situation. It could be that urgency simply heightens the adrenaline needed to react quickly and remove self doubt.
Well said.

djb28

Reaction score
I love it when they go no huddle/ hurry up. It reminds me of the Bills Attack when Kelly ran the show. It is a powerful thing to watch. They should do it more than not!

Mojambo

Reaction score
I think the issue is that the Seahawks defense is no longer good enough to play offense the way Pete Carroll prefers.

The talent is there now. It's time to let the offense lead a little bit.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tical21":1sq1aaot said:

Part of what you say is true at least the sense of urgency part.

What is sense of urgency if not being able to stay on task in a hurried manner usually when one is under pressure?

I don't think the matter is manufacturing urgency or establishing it as the foundation.

Its about control, and it seems to me that players want control, hence Wilson "lobbying" for more of that offense.

If Bevell calls An Empty Set Pass Play with the ball going to a Primary WR:

a) Does Russell not automatically think to take off if he has room or is he going to wait for the play to develop?
b) How long does Russell wait to see if his primary can get open and does that perhaps give him tunnel vision to other open WRs.

Hurry Up/No Huddle Offense is Okay in My Book. Seahawks don't have to become the Eagles... but I think if it was like a 1st half thing, right out the gates, let the players direct the show, take control of the situation, I think the Seahawks would be better for it.

1. You're putting the ball more in Russell's hands, Lynch's hands and not Bevell's.

2. You're Keeping The Defense Off Balance, The less time they have to think, the less the Seahawks play-calling becomes predictable, and predictably is much of the reason why the Offense struggles.

3. The more the defense is confused, the more mistakes they'll make, the more mistakes they'll make, still likely leads to time of possession in the Hawk's favor, more time the defense is on the field, the more tired they'll get, more tired they get, makes it easier for the Smash Mouth running game to take over, predictability or not.

4. When 1, 2, and 3 click, Seahawks' Offense is usually an unstoppable force.

And honestly best reason why I think it can work, now, as opposed to years prior is because Seahawks don't have to be just an All-or-Nothing-Pass-Attack-Supported-By -A-Strong-Running-Game Offense.

No they can play Up Tempo/ No Huddle and dink and dunk their way with the Short Yardage Passing Game and still control the game clock.

That's what teams are forcing the Seahawks to do anyway, Protect The Top, Stack The Box. Might as well as use that to your advantage, and just get really great at becoming a Up Tempo Dink and Dunk team, and learn to keep their defense on the field that way and still get points. Instead of just doing the whole fail miserably for 2-3 drives, and then finally get an explosive play, then fail for another 2-3 drives before getting another explosive play.