Lack of Ingenuity on Offensive Formations

Utah_hawk

Reaction score
Longtime lurker, as I rarely post. I’m a lifelong fan that resides in Utah (Dad grew up in Renton, he rightfully instituted Seahawks culture into our family at a very young age). Anyways, as I was watching the game, I couldn’t help but notice the lack of ingenuity in the play-calling on offense. This isn’t a fire bevell thread by all means, because I believe he’s capable of calling an effective game. I don’t understand why the Seahawks have basically abandoned the under center formation. I think that by not having more under center formations, the Seahawks are really doing themselves a disservice by looking more predictable on offense. What I’d like to see going forward:

1) More basic I formations and split back sets. With 2 FBs on the roster, I would imagine that having a FB in the play would improve pass blocking as well as the run game. I also think the play action can be sold more with a FB involved. Anyone have a clue why we hardly ever use under center formations? Is it because Russell has less time to vision the field?

2) When we’re on 4th and 1, I’m all for running it, but please use something different than something out of a shotgun formation. I’d prefer the Seahawks to use a power I formation for once… Why we try to get cute running it out of the gun is beyond me.

3) Please stop the pistol formation. I feel like we haven’t seen a play that works under the pistol… Just awful.

I’m interested in hearing thoughts on the board. Thanks

justafan

Reaction score
I love the old style football but the NFL has changed the game into a passing league.WRs can run free untouched and cant cant be hit like the old days.They think the fans want fantasy football scores and for the most part they are right.
But the old style wins still.
God forbid you have 2 teams playing tough hard D and a score of 13-10.

OP
OP
U

Utah_hawk

Reaction score
justafan":retphm19 said:
I love the old style football but the NFL has changed the game into a passing league.WRs can run free untouched and cant cant be hit like the old days.They think the fans want fantasy football scores and for the most part they are right.
But the old style wins still.
God forbid you have 2 teams playing tough hard D and a score of 13-10.

If the old style wins then why don't we do that on offense more?

sutz

Reaction score
In many ways, I agree. Seems to me we are entirely too invested in the shotgun formation. I know it gives the QB better vision down field to spot coverages and blitzing, but every play? Borderlne obsession IMHO.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The first two retweets currently on my Twitter feed show pics of what Seattle's route philosophy looks like way too often.

17power.com/twitter

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good post. I completely agree. It's a head scratcher to me why we rely so heavily on shotgun. I think we can count on two hands how many times Holmgren allowed that formation. I like shotgun as an option but not as the norm. There has to be a reason for it. Agreed on all accounts. Post more and nice to meet ya! :)

Largent80

Reaction score
Empty backfield shotgun on 3rd down?......Bevell, you idiot. Especially after failure after failure....sack....sack ....sack.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Typical bevell. That shotgun formation with an empty backfield was driving me nuts. Some play actions would be nice. Roll Russ out of the pocket and run for a few? He did this a ton in the first 8 games of 2014 and it worked so well. I don't know why bevell refuses to do things that work. It's almost as if a play fails he keeps calling it until it kind of works. Play actions, and running Wilson keeps defenses on their toes. We have so many offensive weapons and bevell has some way of making it not work.

Mojambo

Reaction score
The Seahawks are obsessed with trying to hide their intentions when it comes to formations and sets. Which is odd considering the philosophy they consistently voice.

They'd do well to stop trying to trick the other teams and just lineup and beat them with their offense.

I agree more i-formation, and a LOT more play action out of i-formation is needed. They did this quite a bit back at the end of 2012 when Russell was establishing himself. I don't know why they don't do it any more.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm not convinced that Russell would have made it more than 2.5 steps on a 3 step drop, and this coming from a guy who was pretty happy with how the O-line looked.

It looked like they were primarily in self-preservation mode out there yesterday.

- bsd

LymonHawk

Reaction score
If we can't properly execute simple formations, why does anyone think having more plays, looks, etc., will make us better?

First master the simple things, then you can try and tackle the more difficult...IMHO.

chris98251

Reaction score
I read somethng to the effect that they do that to give Wilson more time and keep the pass rush off him for a few more seconds, to me that says something about our inabilIty to teach pass protection to our O Line, I know we use zone blocking but can't we have a middle of the road pass protection with very good ZBS?

dunceface

Reaction score
Hopefully this was just based on the fact that we had so much time to game plan and we simply over planned and got too cute trying to do too much because Pete mentioned a few times that the Rams are a team that does a lot of different things as far as deception so we tried to "out Fisher" Jeff Fisher and it came close to working but left too much up in the air

seedhawk

Reaction score
Can't make up my mind just yet but, why does it seem, when we go hurry up no huddle, with basically our best 11 offensive guys that things work? When we sub, the wheels start to come off. When we huddle, we seem to out think ourselves.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
"Lack of Ingenuity on Offensive Formations"

wins the .Net award for Most Creative Way to Say Fire Bevell Award.

Congrats.