Article: What St. Louis thinks of seattle's passing game

Laloosh

Reaction score
http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... eff-fisher

This is about the defensive game plan the Rams used against Seattle. It's not about the execution of the game plan, but the implications it has on Seattle. The very fact that St. Louis took this approach tells us things about Seattle. And although nothing is condemning, in that nothing is chronic or unfixable, it doesn't say nice things about the Seattle Seahawks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good find.

So it looks like it's either route concepts from Bevell, or Wilson's disregard for throwing short passes.

I didn't get to see the game, I listened to it on the radio, but looking at those screen shots is horrifying. Wilson has an easy 5-8 yards to half of his WRs on most plays, and passes it up. He's literally passing up 1st downs. Against STL's defensive line. To go deep.

Yikes.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hawks46":12feb4pb said:
Good find.

So it looks like it's either route concepts from Bevell, or Wilson's disregard for throwing short passes.

I didn't get to see the game, I listened to it on the radio, but looking at those screen shots is horrifying. Wilson has an easy 5-8 yards to half of his WRs on most plays, and passes it up. He's literally passing up 1st downs. Against STL's defensive line. To go deep.

Yikes.

unfortunately, this is nothing new, and is what many in here were saying during the midst of the Wilson negotiations.

I was literally screaming at the TV the whole game, the same thing. Sometimes I have to wonder what Wilson sees when we look at screen shots like that.....

hawkfan68

Reaction score

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
My takeaway from this the Rams gameplan was to allow us to dink and dunk while they obliterated the OL and protected deep. Of course that is not the game plan we usually go with.

Maybe we should have taken what was given more. Kind of like how NE/SD/NO always play us. We don't seem to want to play this kind of game though for some reason.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Hawkpower":29xiwakv said:
unfortunately, this is nothing new, and is what many in here were saying during the midst of the Wilson negotiations.

I was literally screaming at the TV the whole game, the same thing. Sometimes I have to wonder what Wilson sees when we look at screen shots like that.....

This.

It's why I thought we should wait a year to extend Wilson.

- bsd

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I don't think its very damning for Wilson and overall they are saving money by paying him sooner. He is not gonna get any cheaper because the very first game of the year he has issues hitting short routes. Throughout the year he progresses and makes changes per usual.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Screen shots are a terrible way to make a judgement on this type of stuff. I'll let the coach and scout types dissect the All 22 tape before I blame Wilson. Watching in real time it seemed like he missed a couple but overall was pretty solid. We will see I guess.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
This picture right here is why Bevel should be fired..wtf is this play design?

Sack0400

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1zt7q9k7 said:
I don't think its very damning for Wilson and overall they are saving money by paying him sooner. He is not gonna get any cheaper because the very first game of the year he has issues hitting short routes. Throughout the year he progresses and makes changes per usual.

He completed 78% of his passes and had a 90 QB rating FFS. With the way people talk about Wilsons performance you would think he threw 2-3 INTS and missed half his passes or something. He cant go deep if he either has no time to throw or nobody deep to throw to...simple as that

On 1st and 10 yesterday he was 16/17 94% completion 139 yards

Even on 2nd and 10+ he was 4/4 38 yards.

He only had 4 incompletions outside of the redzone in 31 passes

It was the redzone that wasnt that hot which isnt a shocker since our play calling is god awful everytime we get to the redzone
5/10 25 yards 1TD

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"It's why I thought we should wait a year to extend Wilson"

I am extremely critical of Wilson. (Most of that is from my own superstition though.)

But now that he is being paid like an elite QB and his $ starves the team of value in other areas, he has to make up for that lost value by delivering high value. So yes, I think it is completely inbounds to hold him accountable for his failures - and yesterday was a key failure on his part considering that was a winnable game.

Yesterday he was soundly outplayed by Foles and he was given a suspect secondary to take advantage of. He has chances, even with the inconsistent protection. He chose not to take them, as the screenshots show.

But...no matter how good the defense, you have to have a good to great QB or you stand no chance. This team has to transition from a team that wins with defense and a good QB to a team that wins because of the great QB. It has no choice. Even those old Raven teams could not have won a SB with the way the rules are tilted toward the QB now. (Back to the Texans and Bengals as exhibits A & B)

With no consistency on the line, only a mobile QB would work and Lynch has only so many years left in him. Either Wilson works out or he doesn't but we had to pay him. Because we cannot win without him.

I still think better OC and better offensive gameplanning would make it easier on Wilson but I have no idea how much is Wilson missing things vs Bevell missing them.

Either way, it was either pay him now or pay him later. Because you do not get good QBs in the later rounds but for a few lucky strikes like we got getting him in the first place.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":33icy8uk said:

Sack0400

First and 17..............defense is going to play 10 yards off the line + we can't block anybody = short routes to try and gain 5-7 yards so it's not 2nd and 3rd and long.

You guys all want deep routes and more explosive plays, but those take time to develop. Which Russell didn't have, ever yesterday.

So if you want longer routes downfield, then you're saying you also wanted 5-6 more sacks cause that's the trade off.

formido

Reaction score
bigskydoc":tzwvp8nr said:
Hawkpower":tzwvp8nr said:

This.

- bsd

Wilson was 3rd among all players in fantasy points last year, which is a good rule of thumb for "huge production out of the QB position". Wilson's personal production understates his value because Lynch's YPC is significantly above his previous career average due to Wilson's gifts enabling the read option. Wilson also led the #5 rated offense by DVOA to their second straight Super Bowl. Folks should update their model of what an elite QB can look like. Wilson struggles against the Rams almost every time. But he plays elite football against most teams, even though his "elite football" doesn't look like any other elite QB's "elite football". That's OK because his effect on winning and losing is just the same.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":venvm6b7 said:
WilsonMVP":venvm6b7 said:

Sack0400

First and 17..............defense is going to play 10 yards off the line + we can't block anybody = short routes to try and gain 5-7 yards so it's not 2nd and 3rd and long.

You guys all want deep routes and more explosive plays, but those take time to develop. Which Russell didn't have, ever yesterday.

So if you want longer routes downfield, then you're saying you also wanted 5-6 more sacks cause that's the trade off.

Well at least have some routes be different FFS. All the D has to do is guard the same level for 5WRs..how hard is that..great we get 3-4 yards...its still 2nd and 13

With this short passing attack..the most ive ever seen us do...we STILL got sacked 6 times....so..it obv didnt work very well since he still got sacked the same ammount of times he always does against them. What did they say last night he had been sacked 36 times in 7 games..that is rediculous

ivotuk

Reaction score
In that picture, Quinn is going to be on Russell in a split second. In fact, didn't that play end up as a sack?

Edit: So I don't see where people running deeper would help. All of them on short routes gives him more options, and he doesn't have time to make all 5 reads. With the time he has, he's going to make 2, maybe 3 reads before he goes down.

So actually, giving him 5 short options is possibly the best way to go here, and hope one of those guys gets some YAC.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":322v0jgd said:
WilsonMVP":322v0jgd said:

Sack0400

This.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
formido":12l00uhg said:
bigskydoc":12l00uhg said:
Hawkpower":12l00uhg said:

This.

- bsd

Wilson was 3rd among all players in fantasy points last year, which is a good rule of thumb for "huge production out of the QB position". Wilson's personal production understates his value because Lynch's YPC is significantly above his previous career average due to Wilson's gifts enabling the read option. Wilson also led the #5 rated offense by DVOA to their second straight Super Bowl. Folks should update their model of what an elite QB can look like. Wilson struggles against the Rams almost every time. But he plays elite football against most teams, even though his "elite football" doesn't look like any other elite QB's "elite football". That's OK because his effect on winning and losing is just the same.

Its funny because he does "struggle" against the rams but if you look at his total stats in the 7 games against them they arent even that bad other than sacks.
129/187 69% completion, 1524 yards 7TD 5INT 94.9 QB rating. 4 of those 7 games he had over a 100 QB rating

Also where are all the Luck supporters saying he could do better. Luck went against a D just as good as the Rams and here was his statline
26/49 53% completion, 243 yards 2TD and 2INT 63.6QB rating, with another 2 or so that should of been picked as well

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3jz9wauu said:
With this short passing attack..the most ive ever seen us do...we STILL got sacked 6 times....so..it obv didnt work very well since he still got sacked the same ammount of times he always does against them. What did they say last night he had been sacked 36 times in 7 games..that is rediculous

So you're saying the reason the Rams have sacked Russell so many times is playcalling?

You'd think it has more to do with our horrible pass protection + the Rams having the best front 7 in the NFL. That makes more sense.

The Rams do what they always do because they have the personnel to do it, crowd the line, get pressure with just their front four and force us to dink and dunk. They dictated the game on that side of the ball.

Let me ask you a question. Shouldn't 31 pts be enough to beat the Rams? Why is everyone wanting Bevell's head? Aren't we suppose to have the #1 defense in the league? I put this on the D, not Bevell or playcalling.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":24tjrrxi said:
One game, don't care

Except it's not been one game. Bevell's tendencies and Wilson's rawness have been on display for years now, and neither is improving yet. Though it's not too late.

The comments on that FG article are interesting, too. One mentions that Seattle is driven so much by their system that they can't get flexible enough to create mismatches. That would honestly not surprise me from a Pete Carroll team.