Brock Huard's Chalk Talk on the last play

Crizilla

Reaction score
good post. Did he do a video on what he thinks about the superbowl play? (yes that play)
nvm^ found it

he does a good job at breaking it down. Though I think they still could have had 4v4 in line formation, yeah? Or would we need an extra guy? bottom line is our Oline got owned. Rams put all money on it being a run and they wanted to end it right then and there. They physically and mentally sat our Oline on the ground. Simple as that. Props to the Rams.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If RW walks to the Center, snaps the ball and pushes the center 1 yard up. How can we NOT make it?
I "m still puzzled how we can't make a single yard with RW sneaking right behind the Center. Why is it so difficult. I mean ... we paying RW 20 millions ... he has seen this play a million times ... and we can't make it ...

But, based on the picture, ML has about 6 yards to go. And RW is about 5 yards in shotgun ... WTF ... seriously, WTF ...
It is 4th and 1, but we tell ML to go gain 6 yards with this OL?
Isn't this just stupid?

HawkDabz

Reaction score
Russel Should do some more sneeks on the 4 and 1's. Brady does it all the time and usually always gets it!

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Bottom line: our OL needs to get better sooner than later. I'm hoping GB won't be quite so hard a test as SL. Hoping.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkDabz":1etne37a said:
Russel Should do some more sneeks on the 4 and 1's. Brady does it all the time and usually always gets it!
I've BEEN asking the same thing.
And because they DON'T really do the Quarterback sneak, I think it would catch some of these Defenses off guard
I believe he's quick enough to thread the needle, especially if #24 is giving an extra push for that 1 Yard.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, I take the same approach that I did for the SB loss. Sometime they win. :229031_shrug:

Sometime you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you: The Dude-The Big Lebowski . Even the best get beat from time to time. It was only the first game of the season, and Marshawn's first time he actually played more than 3 snaps in a game this year.

I'm confident they will all improve with more work together.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thing is, everyone in whole stadium knew Lynch was going to get that ball. All in all the OLine was not winning many one on one battles much all game. To expect something different shows Bevell is not paying attention to the real results before him.

Hat on hat Brock is right but Britt wasn't winning that battle much all game, and to expect it would change when the Dline knew the play was coming at them on the ground is not smart.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
What a great chalk talk! Thanks for posting that. I think Brock makes a great case against a qb sneak--the two linebackers would crash down in it instantly, and the play we ran was the best one.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3jax9ync said:
Thing is, everyone in whole stadium knew Lynch was going to get that ball. All in all the OLine was not winning many one on one battles much all game. To expect something different shows Bevell is not paying attention to the real results before him.

Hat on hat Brock is right but Britt wasn't winning that battle much all game, and to expect it would change when the Dline knew the play was coming at them on the ground is not smart.

They were converting that type of run all day.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/643930785850888192[/tweet]

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It was an interesting chalk talk. However the Hawks were in shotgun and Graham was 1 on 1 with a LB in a situation where he could have won a jump ball for at least a yard. Tell me why the team signed Graham, wasn't it for just these situations? To play fake, bootleg right, and jump ball short high pass for Graham who has about 6 inches on their OLB. I still think the play might have succeeded if the Hawks were not in shotgun.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1oidz023 said:
It was an interesting chalk talk. However the Hawks were in shotgun and Graham was 1 on 1 with a LB in a situation where he could have won a jump ball for at least a yard. Tell me why the team signed Graham, wasn't it for just these situations? To play fake, bootleg right, and jump ball short high pass for Graham who has about 6 inches on their OLB. I still think the play might have succeeded if the Hawks were not in shotgun.

They had converted 5 out of 5 runs of 3rd and short from the shotgun.

Why do you think they were wrong to try the same thing again? It makes no sense.

If you are perfect at something in multiple tries, the safe thing to do is to stick with what was working.

There is nothing wrong with the play call. It had not failed even ONCE in the game in 5 tries! From shotgun!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Ok that's a pretty compelling break down. I wonder why we ran that play over Britt?

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Brock has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know. And this may be the best chalk talk I've ever seen.

He makes a compelling case that Bevell made the right play call, and won the chess match on this play. He put the team in a position where we had every opportunity to convert - where we won the personnel matchup (caught them in nickle), alignment match up (man with a deep safety limits defenders who can help with the run), and isolates the play to basically 4 defenders against 4 blockers and Lynch. And we got all of that running our most bread and butter play, and a play that was highly successful throughout the day.

I've heard that the Rams "knew" that it would be a run, and maybe they did... but the way that approach that play did not suggest that they were selling out to stop the run.

Simply put. Our OL was just outplayed. It happens, and I expect it to happen a fair bit this year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's an excellent video but it isn't going to change many minds, see the comments in this thread as evidence.

Smellyman

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2daq4a1j said:

Why pay Lynch if he can't get a yard too...right? Isn't that why they have him?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2tyy1vfr said:
Ok that's a pretty compelling break down. I wonder why we ran that play over Britt?

It's where we had the most success throughout the game. Marshawn had 35 yards on four carries (8.8-yard average), and forced two missed tackles, on runs through the left-A gap.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's an inside zone. Marshawn has multiple directions he can run that, including cutting back off the tackle. Gilliam gives up ground to possibly the best 3 to 5 tech in the game. Ogletree is unblocked and doesn't even consider RW keeping it. Inside there is nothing.

It's that simple. The formation vs formation view, the matchups....neither were ever there. It just plain shouldn't have been run whether Bevell's dumb arse called it or not. The only chance is if the QB keeps, but the QB needs to take it to the next level and see that they're outgunned and outnumbered on that side.

This coming from the guy who sited Rodgers and his view on audibles. It's just really not that complicated. It's a pre-snape read that says hey...they have 4 on our 3. Manning really is the only guy that opts out to almost an entire second play, but I don't know why that is. I just don't. Even if you're just counting the box, it's 6 blockers on 7 defenders in the box. Even if everyone does their job there's a free man in a pure running scenario (take out the QB, which we basically did all game). If anyone loses, which two did, you're doomed.

I bet a lot of great QBs are great poker players as well. Count the odds and you'll generally win.

We already know Bevell is a little special so I won't even go there. It might be possible that RW is ready for that real big step though given his....comment about up tempo. If we want to go that route though there needs to be at least hots on pass plays and a play action opt out on runs.

Baby steps, Bob...baby steps.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Actually it was there. Yes the right tackle was blown up, but that just killed any cutback or inside run. If Lynch chooses going down the line off the left tackle, it's a first down or more. He just can't pause. The right DE was out of the play, as he also hesitated before cutting toward Lynch (was spying Wilson).

Not blaming Lynch, cause it had to be decided immediately.