Crazy stat I heard on sports center

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Said something like... Since 1990 only 24 of 205 teams have reached the playoffs starting the season 0-2. 63% of teams starting 2-0 make the playoffs. Don't know how to read into that but thought it was interesting.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
To me....it's not that we might go 0-2. The NFL has done it's utmost to keep the Hawks from a 3rd post season appearance in a row. We have been given one of the most difficult schedules of any team. I'm more concerned about how we lose. Losing in overtime often happens on the Road. We almost pulled it off in spite of playing poorly in many facets. Let's see if the team can put forth an improved effort this Sunday. If we get "blown out"....then I'll begin to "sweat".

nategreat

Reaction score
Well we're not 0-2 yet, nor can we be 2-0. What's the stat for 1-1?

ringless

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2c82dvoc said:
To me....it's not that we might go 0-2. The NFL has done it's utmost to keep the Hawks from a 3rd post season appearance in a row. We have been given one of the most difficult schedules of any team. I'm more concerned about how we lose. Losing in overtime often happens on the Road. We almost pulled it off in spite of playing poorly in many facets. Let's see if the team can put forth an improved effort this Sunday. If we get "blown out"....then I'll begin to "sweat".

This is not true at all. All teams in the NFC West have a hard schedule this year and here's why.

All teams in the NFC West must play the NFC West (6 games each right there)
All teams in the NFC West must play the AFC North because we do so every 4 years. This happens to be year 4. (10 games)
All teams in the NFC West play the NFC North (Another 4 games in common)

The NFL did not set this schedule up to be difficult, it just so happens that this is the year we were due to play those teams. It's not some conspiracy theory.

In fact you could say the Cardinals have been dealt a worse hand? We have to play the Super Bowl runner up, and last years Super Bowl winner... You guys haven't had to play either in consecutive years like we have?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Because 2-0 teams are usually playing well and continue to do so throughout the season and 0-2 teams are usually not that good. Stats are just stats.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ringless":19z9cw3i said:
Bigpumpkin":19z9cw3i said:

This is not true at all. All teams in the NFC West have a hard schedule this year and here's why.

All teams in the NFC West must play the AFC North because we do so every 4 years. This happens to be year 4. (10 games)

The NFL did not set this schedule up to be difficult, it just so happens that this is the year we were due to play those teams. It's not some conspiracy theory.

This.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Popeyejones":32j6k1de said:
ringless":32j6k1de said:
Bigpumpkin":32j6k1de said:

This.

This, except with the caveat that the NFL does set the dates and times. Starting in St. Louis at 10 am and then on the road at GB . . . . NFL did the Hawks no favors in setting the first couple of games. And until the NFL takes 10 am starts into consideration the way they take west coast travel for east coast teams into consideration, I can't disagree with the sentiment the NFL screwing west coast teams.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Not sure what you two are on about, you can easily compare the schedules yourself (and should if you are commenting on them). The entire NFC West does have a difficult (shared) schedule, but the Seahawks have the most difficult schedule among those 4 due to the other two opponents and the way the schedule lined up. It's not a conspiracy or anything and part of the way the NFL tries to keep things balanced, but "we have been given one of the most difficult schedules of any team" is factually correct.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Seems every year a stat like this is brought up and then a team does it....

But yes, usually a team that starts 0-2 sucks. But not all teams that start 0-2 suck. We all know, the hawks don't suck. So ya....

marko358

Reaction score
akscoundrel":38fyl0oc said:
Seems every year a stat like this is brought up and then a team does it....

But yes, usually a team that starts 0-2 sucks. But not all teams that start 0-2 suck. We all know, the hawks don't suck. So ya....

You nailed it. Not much of a stat to get worked up about when so many of the teams included in these numbers not only start 0-2 but wind up starting 0-8 and so forth. The numbers are inflated by the large amount of garbage teams each year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The NFL is all about winning at home, and stealing as many road wins as you can to make the playoffs.

So while the stats say starting 0-2 isn't a good thing, I'm OK with it because these are two of the hardest road games we have all year, they just so happen to be at the start of the season.

If we start dropping home games? Yeah, then it's time to hit the panic button.

45Hawker

Reaction score
AgentDib":34djladv said:
Not sure what you two are on about, you can easily compare the schedules yourself (and should if you are commenting on them). The entire NFC West does have a difficult (shared) schedule, but the Seahawks have the most difficult schedule among those 4 due to the other two opponents and the way the schedule lined up. It's not a conspiracy or anything and part of the way the NFL tries to keep things balanced, but "we have been given one of the most difficult schedules of any team" is factually correct.
2015 NFC West schedule - # of games against opponents coming off a bye:

AZ: 1
SF: 0
STL: 0

SEA: 4
Week 6 - Carolina
Week 10 - Arizona*
Week 11 - SF
Week 12 - Pittsburgh

* We have a bye in week 9 as well. So the team we're facing after our bye also has a bye!

No conspiracy at all. :p

Edit: l looked up # of games against bye opponents for other potential NFC playoffs teams:

GB: 1
DAL: 2
PHI: 1
CAR: 0

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
This team does not care about stats. They have actually broken every stat thrown at them. Keep telling them they cant and they will. what does stats say about teams going 1-2, thats where GB was at in 3 weeks last year.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
The stat is misleading because they do nothing to isolate the good teams starting 0-2 from the bad teams when they determine the odds. Thus, they underestimate the chances of a team like ours and overestimate the chances of a team like the Raiders by pooling us all together. This statistic is only truthful if all the teams involved are equal. They aren't and especially not the Seahawks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ringless":1978h0ck said:
Bigpumpkin":1978h0ck said:

In fact you could say the Cardinals have been dealt a worse hand? We have to play the Super Bowl runner up, and last years Super Bowl winner... You guys haven't had to play either in consecutive years like we have?

ringless stop.. the league is clearly out to get us.

:sarcasm_on:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
45Hawker":2kgp884c said:
AgentDib":2kgp884c said:
2015 NFC West schedule - # of games against opponents coming off a bye:

AZ: 1
SF: 0
STL: 0

SEA: 4
Week 6 - @Carolina
Week 10 - Arizona*
Week 11 - SF
Week 12 - Pittsburgh

* We have a bye in week 9 as well. So the team we're facing after our bye also has a bye!

No conspiracy at all. :p

Carolina game is in Seattle FYI.

I think the games all being at home negates any advantage a team has with the bye.

45Hawker

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2zlgs5m7 said:

I think the games all being at home negates any advantage a team has with the bye.
Thanks, fixed the CAR game.

Negates any advantage? Maybe. But I think an extra week to rest and prepare has some advantage. Do you think a first-round bye in the playoffs is an advantage? I do. I think it applies to regular season games as well. Hard to measure though.

ptisme

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":3ifv7ms4 said:
Said something like... Since 1990 only 24 of 205 teams have reached the playoffs starting the season 0-2. 63% of teams starting 2-0 make the playoffs. Don't know how to read into that but thought it was interesting.
Seattle would be far better than most of those 205 and both their losses would be away... Read nothing into that..

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":165sscqk said:
The NFL is all about winning at home, and stealing as many road wins as you can to make the playoffs.

So while the stats say starting 0-2 isn't a good thing, I'm OK with it because these are two of the hardest road games we have all year, they just so happen to be at the start of the season.

If we start dropping home games? Yeah, then it's time to hit the panic button.

It's a good point. If we go 8-0 at home, you only need to go .500 to get to 12 wins.

These are two of the toughest places for us to play. We might've lost these two games, no matter when they were on our schedule, not just because they were the first two. Chalk it up to 2 of those 4 losses and it feels a lot better.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
45Hawker":17zoipkt said:
Hasselbeck":17zoipkt said:

Thanks, fixed the CAR game.

Negates any advantage? Maybe. But I think an extra week to rest and prepare has some advantage. Do you think a first-round bye in the playoffs is an advantage? I do. I think it applies to regular season games as well. Hard to measure though.

Well, to be blunt.. we are better than Carolina and San Fran. Arizona, both teams are coming off a bye. Pittsburgh is the interesting one, if we played them next week I'd say there's no way we lose that game.. but Week 13.. their defense should be much better by then and that offense is scary.

I think we win all 4, but the Steeler game will be the most challenging one. The biggest advantage for the bye in the playoffs is the rest more than the preparation. By the time the team finds out who they are playing, both teams are prepping for that game.