Shaun Alexander deserves to be in the HOF

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
14th all time in touchdowns scored. Everybody who's scored more is in or inevitably will be.

I know he didn't hit 10k yds rushing. And I know there's mixed feelings among Seahawks fans about how good he really was.

But that first stat stands alone. 14th all time in the history of the NFL. In the HISTORY of the NFL. That should get him in eventually, IMO.

He likely won't get in this year, but he's in the discussion. Hopefully one day he'll be up there with Steve, Tez & Walt. And rightfully so.

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Oh and he's 8th all time for rushing touchdowns.

8th!!! EVER!!!!

C'mon.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
As it stands right now, and probably ever, if he doesn't get in, he'll be the only player with 100+ TDs not in the Hall of Fame.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Have to wonder if his poor reputation and soft image in Seattle and around the NFL hurts his chances.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
That's why it'll be "eventually". History will favor his raw numbers over impressions he left on people late in his career.

canfan

Reaction score
The left side of the line deserves to be in Canton (1 down and 1 to go). Shawn never got many yards after contact unless he could see the endzone. That will hurt his chances

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Looking at this from an out-of-towner's perspective: He won't make it in. He might be spotted a veterans' committee decision 20+ years in the future. Hell, at this point, Marshawn Lynch (a better all-around back) is at least three 1200/14 seasons shy.

Not to be the skeleton at the feast.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Found this:

ap0811230182119.jpg

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I don't think that he makes it.

He had only five seasons that he rushed for over 1000 yards and only seven seasons total where he was the featured back.

That's not going to get him in imo.

Hell, I'll venture to guess that Marshawn will make it into the Hawks Ring of Honor before Shaun does.

endzorn

Reaction score
Did teams fear Alexander or did they fear our offensive line and running game as a whole? Teams gameplan to stop lynch because he can gain so many yards outside the framework of the play and after contact. Teams gameplan es against our running game because we had a long stretch with the most dominant line in the NFL, a superb lead blocker and the threat of a high completion percentage offense. I'll admit I didn't like the guy, but I also think teams were I afraid of him as an individual.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Eh. I think Shaun is a perfect example of a very good player, but not a HOF caliber player.

Had injuries not derailed his career, he probably would have had a better case

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
#32 all time rusher ain't getting into the HOF.

10K all time yards used to be the barometer, but now it's more like 12-13K. Add in the fact that Alexander has no rings and didn't get a whole lot of league wide respect for being a soft runner............not helping his cause.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Scrolling through the HOF RBs stats on Football-Referenece.com I see that Shauns stats are comparable to the following HOF RB's:

Earl Campbell
Larry Csonka
Floyd Little
Gale Sayers

those guys go back a ways. I'd look at Earl Campbell as being the primary RB you can point to and say, if he deserves in the HOF, then Alexander does too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1f0nhlx5 said:
Scrolling through the HOF RBs stats on Football-Referenece.com I see that Shauns stats are comparable to the following HOF RB's:

Earl Campbell
Larry Csonka
Floyd Little
Gale Sayers

those guys go back a ways. I'd look at Earl Campbell as being the primary RB you can point to and say, if he deserves in the HOF, then Alexander does too.

You just listed four guys who played 30+ years ago, or even longer................more importantly other than Campbell played before the NFL went to 16 game seasons.

Again, I'm not an Alexander hater, he was a very good back for a couple years. But he just doesn't measure up to the other modern day runners that are getting in, especially in the most important RB category, yards.

If a player falls short in yards, he has to be Lynch type. A guy that everyone respects with how hard he plays and how hard he ran (like Campbell). Alexander is the opposite of that.

Tical21

Reaction score
He's kind of right in that grey area. Not many above him are out, and not many below him are in. I don't think he'll get there, but I dunno, he's close. Edgerrin James has to get in before him, right? How about Freddy Taylor and Corey Dillon?