Kris Richard and the new D coaches

seabowl

Reaction score
I know it's only one game and we were without Kam however it's been a long time IMO since I saw the D play with so little emotion, Wagner was flat, Sherm got beat, Earl (probably still injured) didn't look like himself and the D overall didn't have the moxy of the last few years. I don't know if it's just the players or the new staff that's to blame but in order for this team to go deep they need to get it back.

Smellyman

Reaction score
coorslighthawk":33r4rhen said:
Smellyman":33r4rhen said:
I remember it the 2nd game last year.
Same here. And if i remember correctly didnt Gates have 3 tds...with Kam playing...

it was a nightmare of never being able to stop them.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
I also remember getting gashed by the run when wags was hurt. Hopefully we sort this out quicker this year. But I miss Norton.

idahohawk

Reaction score
The defense looked average at best. It was only one game, but it was Foles and a 3rd string RB. Unacceptable IMO.

The Owl, they were banged up & Bevell decided to ... never mind.

But last Sunday... no excuses. They got a critical turnover & touchdown to regain the lead... but puked after that.

I hope we see a drastic improvement soon.

McG

Reaction score
No Kam, on the road aka no crowd getting them hyped, ET was playing like it was his first pre-season game, the Offense was flat out offensive, the list can go on and on. What I really think it boils down to is, no Kam. He is their leader, hell I get hyped watching him play. So I'm sure not having a guy like that back there, much less a dude that really shouldn't even be on the field was the number one factor. I say just pay Kam already, but at this point it probably wont get done until week 3 though at home. Chances are pretty high we go 0-2 to start off the year and at that point it's either shit or get off the pot with the Kam situation. I just hope we can keep it close and steal a win on the road in G.B., if not get ready for this place to act like world is coming to an end.

Seafan

Reaction score
seabowl":3w2tp1r4 said:
I know it's only one game and we were without Kam however it's been a long time IMO since I saw the D play with so little emotion, Wagner was flat, Sherm got beat, Earl (probably still injured) didn't look like himself and the D overall didn't have the moxy of the last few years. I don't know if it's just the players or the new staff that's to blame but in order for this team to go deep they need to get it back.

Really? They ALWAYS look that way at 10:00 am.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Seafan":3h6ogq6z said:
seabowl":3h6ogq6z said:

Really? They ALWAYS look that way at 10:00 am.

Agree not as good as at home however the Rams needed to pull out the craziest plays the last few years to beat us. Last Sunday they played it straight and beat us. The D in many phases was flat and I say very little emotion from the stars on D such as Wags, Sherm, Thomas etc... We need to get our swag back and the coaches better find a way to get the players psyched and excited.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's a work in progress no doubt. Clearly they need Kam back, but they have to assume he's gonna' be out for awhile unfortunately. I get the feeling, and it might just be me, that they will just get better and better as the season goes along. Hitting their stride in October seems pretty realistic. Obviously 0-2 is not how you want to start a season, but if it's vs. a couple solid teams on the road, it is what it is. Puts more pressure to win 7 or 8 at home, which is just what they do. If they can go 7-1 at home, and 4-4 on the road, there's your 11 win season.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
There's definitely an adjustment period without Quinn and Norton. Part of why Pete promotes from within is to flatten the learning curve a bit during transitions. For Richard, it's just getting used to a different role. Something like looking at the same stuff from a broader, more comprehensive angle.

The Seahawks' coaches page doesn't list a specific DB coach, so does Richard hold that role as well as DC? There are 2 new DB assistants:

Andre Curtis (safeties) was a coach with the Giants, Rams, and Saints over the previous 6 seasons.

Chris Cash (CBs) played for Pete at USC, plus 5 seasons (2 on IR) between the Lions and Falcons. He suffered too many injuries to maintain an NFL career. After that, he was DC for a high school 5 years, then 2 years as safeties coach at Florida A&M.

At this point, Sherm and Earl know the defense as well as Richard or Carroll. Lane should have the system down, but he's out. Simon has been in the system, so he should get it conceptually, but he has very little practical experience. Burley is a year in, but doesn't yet look like he's consistently able to play without thinking. Then there's the UDFA and former practice squad guys: Bailey, Terrell, and Shead, who has the most experience and is closest to borderline-starter at this point. Cary, McCray, and Tye are completely new to the system.

Out of the entire DB staff and roster, we have 2 players, the recently promoted DC, and Rocky Seto who know their responsibilities inside and out and have the skills & experience to compete at the highest level.

In the LBs case, Michael Barrow came from coaching at University of Miami (13 years), and Lofa came from watching games on TV. Both are former players, and Tatupu's familiarity with Carroll should help, but neither of them have been part of this staff, or around an NFL team for many years. At this point, I'd expect it's the players leading the way and the LB coaches getting up to speed.

We got used to the well-oiled LOB these past few seasons, but it took them and their coaches time to develop. The turmoil of an oft-injured Walter Thurmond, too-old Trufant and Milloy, and unknown Sherman was not that long ago. Here's to hoping everyone ups their game, rebounds from a lackluster week 1, and brings back the BOOM.

marko358

Reaction score
With the likely loss of the Beluga whale for GB, I would hope Richard would increase the snaps for Clark seeing that he's such a disruptive force.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
As seen tonight Richard called little to I think no blitz's. Pete better take control of the D or this will continue to be a shit show.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing the D this clueless and out of place at times since this group came together a few years back. Kam out of place numerous times, guys wide open, undisciplined play etc.... I'm serious when I say that if this continues and we have a shot at getting Bradley back we should take a close look.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I posted this right after week 2. It was noticeable right away that we were playing differently on D and that it was most likely due to the coaching.