Is The Legion of Boom Gone?

Is the LOB a nickname that can be carried over year-after-year?

• Yes, even though some original LOB members have come and gone, it's still the LOB.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • No, the LOB should always be considered Kam, Sherm, Thomas and Browner

Votes: 70 63.1%
  • Read my response below

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Some have asked, and it's a good question...Can it still be the Legion of Boom if new faces keep coming in and out of the group? To me, when a nickname is given to a defense in the NFL, it's a pretty big deal. They don't hand them out like candy, especially ones that last.

Without Kam at the moment, we only have Sherman and Thomas as original members of the LOB. Is it really the LOB if new (sub par) players are added to the group?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The LOB is at a minimum Kam, Earl and Sherm...........the other DB can be a moving part.

But nope, without Kam I don't consider just anybody the LOB. He was the Boom in LOB, so without him it's just another defensive backfield. Still can be good, but no LOB to me.

AVL

Reaction score
Quietly suspend the phrase until said booming continues, fingers crossed.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I think there is only one, "Original" Legion of Boom, but that doesn't mean the name can't persist a while longer. We still have Earl and Richard, and I still believe that Kam will return eventually and we'll get something sorted out to make all the nice feels again.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
LOB was originally "The Legion of Boom", which then sort of morphed into having a secondary (no pun intended) term of "Love Our Brothers." Because of what it has grown into, it's more than just a title for a group of hard hitting DB's. It should always remain as our Secondary because of what it's grown to be. I want it to live on well past the guys who started it.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
The Fearsome Foursome had it's iterations that included the likes of Jack Youngblood and Fred Dryer but from an historical perspective the original lineup of Deacon Jones, Rosey Greer, Merlin Olson & Lamar Lundy are the Fearsome Foursome.

The same will be true of the Legion of Boom. Brandon Browner, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman are the LOB.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Do we honestly think Bailey, Shead, Simon, etc. have really done anything to warrant a nickname? I think it turns into a joke when you start giving fringe NFL players any sort of nickname. It's like when the Rams gave their fans the "12th Ram" nickname, even though they can't sell out their stadium.

LOB was Browner, Chancellor, Sherman and Thomas. Special group.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2t36uicr said:
Do we honestly think Bailey, Shead, Simon, etc. have really done anything to warrant a nickname? I think it turns into a joke when you start giving fringe NFL players any sort of nickname. It's like when the Rams gave their fans the "12th Ram" nickname, even though they can't sell out their stadium.

LOB was Browner, Chancellor, Sherman and Thomas. Special group.
I totally agree, but we still have (potentially) 3/4 of that group still. The name can't go on forever, but I'm not going to give up on it yet. They're down, not dead.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Not with out Kam, who is the BOOM. I hate him now. Traitor.

cesame

Reaction score
The Legion of Boom has to include Browner imo for it to be the LOB

He put just as many hard hits on people as Kam did. Just ask Wes Welker.

AceBoogie715

Reaction score
I think even last year with Maxwell they deserved the title of LOB. Maxwell played outstanding when he replaced BB. As for this year, I'm still on the fence because it's too early to tell. Legion of Boom to Love Our Brothers, I'm just glad we're leaving our mark on history either way.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The LOB was a group of specific players, not the name given to the Seahawks secondary. The new group needs to re-earn the title because "Sherm, Earl and two other guys" doesn't cut it

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1kieindt said:
The LOB is at a minimum Kam, Earl and Sherm...........the other DB can be a moving part.

But nope, without Kam I don't consider just anybody the LOB. He was the Boom in LOB, so without him it's just another defensive backfield. Still can be good, but no LOB to me.
Wasn't just Kam, as Browner delivered some pretty damned hard hits of his own (see game against the Cards a few Years back)
It was the fear of catching anything in the area covered by Browner & Chancellor that netted Sherman so many interceptions.
Neither Kam, nor Browner were All Pro's coming out of the chute ,and it took awhile for them to catch on to the scheme of things ,and how to work together.
Earl Thomas & Richard Sherman were fantastic right from the Get-Go.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Let me answer a question with a question....

Who right now, is going to bring the "boom" in Legion of Boom ?

Only person I can think of is Earl. One person doesn't make a legion, no matter how good they are.

Sherman is a great tackler, but he doesn't light people up like Browner and Chancellor did.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's the LEGION of boom which is more than just 4 guys and just not foursome of boom. The originals had more boom in their game than the replacements but the LEGION still exists and will find their way back to BOOM again. I thought Browner's replacement was a respectable hitter when asked.

The hit that Williams laid out for his strip sack TD was a qualifying hit; and Bailey has a lot potential thump in his game. The eventual return of Chancellor will of course go a long way in changing perceptions about this.

Decimation

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's gone for now. With Kam I believe the legion is still in tact, but as of right now it's gone. That 2013 secondary was absolutely deadly and it won't be topped for a very long time and as fans we were very fortunate to be able to witness that caliber of play from the defense.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The name may in fact persist for some years to come, but in my mind, the true Legion Of Boom (Browner, Chancellor, Sherman and Thomas) is in our past. ALL NFL defenses that earned a right to have a nickname come and go. And while we still have 3 (1 holding out) of the original 4, to me it's like Absolute said, "'Sherm, Earl and two other guys" doesn't cut it."

Get Kam back and start dominating again and I say the LOB is still mostly intact and can live on. Once anyone of the remaining big 3 leave, however, and it's over.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
L.O.B. is a mentality started by Browner,Sherm,Earl and Kam. It is a standard for anyone who plays in our D.Don't worry they will be more boom to come. 15 games left.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Browner and Kam are the BOOM for the LOB. ET is fast, Sherman is smart and has great coverage, but neither of those guys are laying out anyone.

Latest posts