The cost of success

Rob12

Reaction score
We're seeing it.

It's not just the Chancellor holdout. It's the massive egos that comprise this roster. This team is absolutely loaded with talent. Even without our SS, you can't find me another team that has more talent.

Our egos have grown as well. As fans of this team we expect wins every week, and when that doesn't happen, we collectively lose our minds. Not all, but most. Our egos have grown so much that we put stock into things like how many decibels we register, and we judge ourselves based on that. I was at the Jacksonville game two years ago when the Seahawks won handedly. I came here and read posts about how quiet the stadium was that day. And as I'm reading these posts while traversing I90 back to Eastern Washington, I wondered if my ears would ever be the same because by Ellensburg, they were still ringing.

This is the price of success. It's the cost to reach the pinnacle. Now I'm reading people that are mailing this season in (Pay Kam thread - "It's been a great run") and I just shake my head. People forget the past so quickly and how this team has proven time and time again that they respond in a huge way during the second half of the season. The lack of faith is honestly quite embarrassing.

This is a league of parity, and the Seattle Seahawks will stay on the top of the mountain for a long time. This is not a Kam thread, but his ordeal will be something that we will recover from - with or without him.

We all wanted it this way. Most of us have probably been a bit naive. This is the golden age of Seahawks football, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

If we go 0-2, so what. If GB somehow manages to beat us, we move on. Quickly. There will be 14 games left and this is a team that can run the table at any given time. I actually predicted a loss in Aros' thread, but as the game gets closer I think we have a great chance to end Rodgers' streak at Lambeau.

Have faith... Trust the process. Go Hawks.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Agreed. People need to calm down and enjoy football again

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Really good perspective. Normally we only look at the players wanting more money but we should indeed look at ourselves. We have been to three straight post-seasons and even won a SB. This season won't be horrendous if we don't win a Lombardi, we don't even have to make the play-offs. As long as it becomes fun again it will all be alright. Maybe it is even better if this season 'flops'. We would become underdogs again and that is what we thrive in.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Sorry I disagree when u said we're "staying on top a long time" not saying we wont but that isn't a given. Injuries can kill championship hopes and not to mention dumb coaches who make dumb play calls.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
"But I want the Seahawks to win every game NOW!"

This team has faced and overcome adverse situations each of the past three seasons. To assume that this season they have suddenly lost that ability seems foolish.

The Hawks almost got out of STL with a win (argue should have). They have a big challenge this week, but the awesome part for me is they CAN win this game.

0-1 is not a great way to start the season, 0-2 more so. Big picture: I'm still enjoying a team that is competitive in every game. Weird things happen early in the season, especially for this team it seems (getting to be a yearly theme?). By playoff time I expect them to be firing on all cylinders and primed for another decent run.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "massive egos". Can you give an example? If anything, we've seen players like Sherm mature and mellow.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jayburd14":7qwbpdj5 said:
Anytime the Seahawks have a bad loss I just pop in my Superbowl XLVIII Blue-ray and enjoy.
That's what I do, it works well! :th2thumbs:

Veilside

Reaction score
Rob12":2p7qxvnq said:
We're seeing it.

It's not just the Chancellor holdout. It's the massive egos that comprise this roster. This team is absolutely loaded with talent. Even without our SS, you can't find me another team that has more talent.

Our egos have grown as well. As fans of this team we expect wins every week, and when that doesn't happen, we collectively lose our minds. Not all, but most. Our egos have grown so much that we put stock into things like how many decibels we register, and we judge ourselves based on that. I was at the Jacksonville game two years ago when the Seahawks won handedly. I came here and read posts about how quiet the stadium was that day. And as I'm reading these posts while traversing I90 back to Eastern Washington, I wondered if my ears would ever be the same because by Ellensburg, they were still ringing.

This is the price of success. It's the cost to reach the pinnacle. Now I'm reading people that are mailing this season in (Pay Kam thread - "It's been a great run") and I just shake my head. People forget the past so quickly and how this team has proven time and time again that they respond in a huge way during the second half of the season. The lack of faith is honestly quite embarrassing.

This is a league of parity, and the Seattle Seahawks will stay on the top of the mountain for a long time. This is not a Kam thread, but his ordeal will be something that we will recover from - with or without him.

We all wanted it this way. Most of us have probably been a bit naive. This is the golden age of Seahawks football, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

If we go 0-2, so what. If GB somehow manages to beat us, we move on. Quickly. There will be 14 games left and this is a team that can run the table at any given time. I actually predicted a loss in Aros' thread, but as the game gets closer I think we have a great chance to end Rodgers' streak at Lambeau.

Word for word, I couldn't have said it better myself. Great post!

There are so many positive's with this team that it's hard to believe people could possibly give up on it so fast because of so little. One way I put it into perspective is, "If Kam is injured and out for the season does that mean season over?!" Our season is done because of losing our strong safety?!? Really?

I actually expected our defense to take a step back early this season (before Kam hold out) due to starting with injuries in the secondary (especially Earl). I've been ready for it and I admit it's worse now with Kam holding out, but I expected an even bigger improvement in the offense and ST due to getting Graham and Lockett to make up for the defensive loss.

That expectation is much greater now having seen Lockett's early development on the offense. Another thing to put into perspective is remembering Tate's development in comparison.

Tate was drafted in the 2nd rd in 2010. Who remember's who our starting WRs were that year? BMW, Obo and Stokely. In fact, he got beat out for the slot position in 2011 by Baldwin and only started 5 games. He finally started to show his development in year 3 which is common for WRs and having Russ throw to him helped I'm sure. Now he's Mr Pro Bowl (with 4 TDs).

Now Lockett. Drafted in 3rd rd in 2015. Started game 1. Just this shows how Lockett is light years ahead of both Tate and Richarson in their development. He's gonna be a stud and teaming him up with the big 3 (Wilson, Lynch, Graham) is gonna surprise people how good our offense can be. Maybe late season 2012 good if Wilson manages to earn more control over plays and our Oline is even average. I think it's gonna make up for our loss on defense and I think having Frank Clark and a healthy Jordan Hill is going to help quite a bit too.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Rob12":sk8wa2i9 said:
We're seeing it.

And yet....I still remember the annual roller coaster ride this place used to be. Preseason, take your seat. start getting hyped it was going to be THIS year. coaster starts climbing. Have some big plays in preseason. Coaster reaches the pinnacle. First regular season loss of the year. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! all the way down. Win a game. Coaster climbs back up another hill. Lose a game. Ahhhhhhhh!

All. Year. Long. Every. Season.

So no, I don't agree that winning has done this to our fanbase. They came that way.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bennett
Avril
Mebane
Clark
Marsh
Rubin
Wagner
Wright
Irvin
Pierre Louis
Sherman
Thomas
Wilson
Lynch
Graham
Baldwin
Lockett
Okung
Sweezy
Carroll
Cable
Richard

We have more reasons we can overcome than any other team in the league. Color me not worried and still on the 15-1 train.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think our biggest obstacle is our own success, whether we can maintain the hunger and drive every game and practice, they are now all wealthy, hard to play the disrespect card, they have proven everyone wrong. That's our biggest obstacle. Also their agents are trying to cash in on guys they never thought would be Super Star clients as well.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":3ir76muy said:
I think our biggest obstacle is our own success, whether we can maintain the hunger and drive every game and practice, they are now all wealthy, hard to play the disrespect card, they have proven everyone wrong. That's our biggest obstacle. Also their agents are trying to cash in on guys they never thought would be Super Star clients as well.

THis is why our coach's mantra is always compete. When they stop doing that because of a contract being signed, then they become a part of the problem and not part of the solution. Remember last year game 3 or 4? They were near the endzone of the opposition and they did the rally after a not too important play. Then we became the Hawks again. I have not seen it yet as they are still trying to find their way. When they start Gellin like a Fellon, they then will start stealing souls again....BOOK IT.

Oh and one more thing about this team, we are filling in backup positions at the moment with untried personnel that may fit our scheme....When one goes down, all we need to do is find the NEXT MAN UP.

We all we GOT, We All WE NEED.

RussB

Reaction score
After two superbowl appearances guys are going to want to get paid . And paid ALOT. Bruce irvin will probably get cut and so will other players. I doubt bruce or bennet will take a pay cut one of them will have to go maybe both

Largent80

Reaction score
Hawk fans have been spoiled and totally forget the 90's.

I saw last weeks game as a great game regardless of the loss.

RW92

Reaction score
Rob12":1c2ndh8z said:
We're seeing it.

Hey Rob, I agree with your great post, but the reality of the situation is can Dion fill the void left by Kam in some competitive fashion? Let's not fool ourselves, from what I've seen in the pre-season and from last week, there will be key situations within the game that will reveal the discrepancy in talent between Dion and Kam. Strong Safety is position that you can't hide someone the entire game. It isn't like putting your questionable talent in right field. You can get away with it in baseball, but not on the football field. In foresight, I hope Dion has a great game tomorrow and proves the naysayers wrong. Outside of one play last week, we almost made it to the locker room with a deep sigh of relief. I hope that Pete gives Dion help over the top tomorrow in the those situations where he is isolated in coverage. And like yourself I do trust the process and have great faith. I just feel helpless at times when I see perfection precipitously unravel in front of me.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with the premise. The Seahawks have built a winning culture. Egos can exist in winning cultures and they're not always a bad thing. Confidence, Swag, Ego, etc. Whatever. EVERY NFL team has cocky players and attitudes. They're going out there and risking getting their heads knocked off. Players better not be timid. I think teams sort of need a certain number of those guys who can energize the rest of the team. So, not sure why you want to refer to that as a "cost". If you have a losing team, you're in a position of wishing to see that sort of swag from your team instead of getting beat down and having guys who can't get up for a game. I just don't know why we need to make a negative out of all that is so very positive?

I don't expect this team to win every week. Any given Sunday. It's great that the Hawks are a team that no one can dismiss. Or, if mediots dismiss them, it's almost a compliment because it's really more them exercising wishful thinking. We all know that. They build a case for why the Seahawks ship is sinking off the littlest piece of news that's hardly noteworthy. Kam is sort of a big deal, but as valuable as he is to the Hawks... he's not the entire team. Because he's such a great player, the media wants to try to bury the hopes of the Hawks and us fans because they simply do not want to see a 3rd straight trip to the Super Bowl. The heck with all those detractors. We certainly don't need any of that within our ranks.

Even if this team has a rough stretch, it's not going anywhere. The NFL and the world is going to have to deal with the mighty Seahawks - they'll be retooling, competing, and a team in the championship contention picture for quite some time.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Largent80":2cvqvpnq said:
Hawk fans have been spoiled and totally forget the 90's.

I saw last weeks game as a great game regardless of the loss.

Hell they forgot 08 & 09

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The OP is a valid expression of sentiment, but I do have one request: Don't speak for all of us. You feel your way about things; I feel mine. We are different people, in different parts of the world, with different upbringings, and different methods of expression.

I neither need to calm down nor do I need to get more excited. I'm fine where I am. I had no knee-jerk reaction to the last game, nor will I to the next game, for any of the potential outcomes.

I have some concerns about the team, but nowhere near the level of impacting my daily life.

As far as I am concerned the team is exactly where I wanted it to be. Winning regularly, perennial playoff contender, and opposing fans penciling in a loss when they have to play us. Having lived through the seemingly endless mediocrity of the 7-9 to 9-7 seasons, I am so tired of the team being average that contending means more to me than winning a Super Bowl every year.

As they say, you have to be in it to win it.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
After living through the years in the kingdoms where we only had first down chants for entertainment, I will always appreciate now now no matter how long we are on top or not. This team will be competitive as long as Allen owns it. The minute he is gone it's a crapshoot from there.

Seahawks first down!! Clap Clap Aaaaaaalllllriiiighttttt!!! Man those were dark days but I could at least my parents or I could afford to go to most of the games. It made me a die hard fan for life though. So I'll enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.