Financial Consequences For Kam If a 10 Week Holdout?

chet380

Reaction score
If anyone knows the details, I would be obliged. My belief is as follows:

1. The CBA provides for a maximum $250,000 fine.

2. A loss of 10 paychecks -- approx. $2.5 million

3. 10/16 of one year of his signing bonus is deducted from this year's pay (not sure re this).

Any other consequences?

jblaze

Reaction score
1.2m fines for missing training camp
2.67m for 10 games
500k signing bonus that Seattle can recoup

If Seattle levies all these fines and goes after his signing bonus, there's a scenario when he actually has to write the Seahawks a check at the end of the year.

Meeker

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 7-million/

$1,110,000 daily TC fines
$250,000 TC fine
$250,000 week 1 fine
$2,679,411.70 loss of game checks
$352,941.18-$411,764.71 weekly loss of signing bonus as of week 5 (depending on if the bye week is included)

$4,642,352.88-$4,701,176.41

Not 100% sure how to interpret the weekly forfeiture of the signing bonus, but thats how I'm reading it.

Cartire

Reaction score
Meeker":3n0mf8mp said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/12/cost-of-kam-chancellors-holdout-as-of-sunday-187-million/

$250,000 TC fine
$250,000 week 1 fine
$352,941.18-$411,764.71 weekly loss of signing bonus as of week 5 (depending on if the bye week is included)

Not 100% sure how to interpret the weekly forfeiture of the signing bonus, but thats how I'm reading it.

This is what confused me so much.

How can this be about money, when hes willing to give up more money then hes asking for? Hes willing to lose $5 mil this year for some more guaranteed money next year? The amount he wants next year guaranteed isnt even $5 mil. I just dont get it at all.

It cant be just about the money, or else he wouldnt be losing it right now.

Meeker

Reaction score
Cartire":rb2r4t8s said:
Meeker":rb2r4t8s said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/12/cost-of-kam-chancellors-holdout-as-of-sunday-187-million/

$250,000 TC fine
$250,000 week 1 fine

This is what confused me so much.

How can this be about money, when hes willing to give up more money then hes asking for? Hes willing to lose $5 mil this year for some more guaranteed money next year? The amount he wants next year guaranteed isnt even $5 mil. I just dont get it at all.

It cant be just about the money, or else he wouldnt be losing it right now.

Probably never thought it would get to this point and is getting horrible advice. Also is likely banking on the Seahawks forgiving the fines...which they won't, not 100%.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
In another thread one person posted that it's actually up to the Commissioner to decide whether a player can return in Week 11, and he nearly always grants that decision to the team. Besides not taking one year off his contract, what would be the financial impact of this if the team refused? And would the FO be ticked enough to do this?

drrew

Reaction score
What are the cap consequences for the team, how much of that can rolled over as unused cap money?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Dude is flat out stupid .why would you do that to yourself ? You have zero leverage this financially for him is an epic stupid moronic decision that makes his pockets just light he is doing exact opposite of what he's trying to accomplish if you want more money this is not The Avenue to get it

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
I'll keep posting this because it's the only logic behind it.....he's not healthy and is putting at risk his future contracts because if he shows up for a physical and cannot perform at the level we are used to, he's going to be asked to take a paycut next year.

He also doesn't get paid for missing time or game checks as well, so it's not like if he shows up, doesn't pass a physical and landed on the PUP list, that he would get paid anyway. I don't think he gets those game checks, unless he actually plays in a game. So whether he's at home on his recliner healing up, or in Seattle getting a daily checkup on his progress at the Seahawks facility doesn't matter.

Seattle is not going to trade him, they will let him heal up, sit out vs playing here and being at 65 to 70% and him perhaps helping or perhaps not helping on game day.

In other news, Dez Bryant is now forecast to be out for 10-12 weeks, so he will have a screw or pin inserted into his foot....which sounds exactly what happened to Kevin Durant in hoops....he came back too early reinjured it again and out another 4 months. I doubt we see Dez Bryant at all this year, which takes away a big asset of one of the playoff contenders for the NFC.....No Jordy Nelson, no Dez Bryant and no Kam Chancellor.....Of all the trade offs, Seattle comes out way ahead in terms of impacts players not in a lineup.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Kam is healthy, there's no conspiracy as to why he's holding out. He wants money, it has nothing to do with any mysterious injury. He's making a very stupid decision that is costing him financially but also hampering his career. I don't care if he ever suits up for the Hawks again.

AgentDib

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":1i0nz401 said:
He also doesn't get paid for missing time or game checks as well, so it's not like if he shows up, doesn't pass a physical and landed on the PUP list, that he would get paid anyway. I don't think he gets those game checks, unless he actually plays in a game.
Just so you know, that's not the case. Injured players not only get their checks but cannot be released from a contract until they are cleared. That's why teams will sometimes negotiate split contracts ($X if healthy, $Y if injured) ahead of time, and why they try to negotiate injury settlements.

The idea behind an Injury settlement is that the team will give the player a slightly smaller lump sum for the money they would have earned while injured anyway. After that injury duration, plus a six week "tax", the players then have the freedom to resign with any team for additional money.

Cartire

Reaction score
AgentDib":3kshefju said:
NewJerseyHawk":3kshefju said:
He also doesn't get paid for missing time or game checks as well, so it's not like if he shows up, doesn't pass a physical and landed on the PUP list, that he would get paid anyway. I don't think he gets those game checks, unless he actually plays in a game.
Just so you know, that's not the case. Injured players not only get their checks but cannot be released from a contract until they are cleared. That's why teams will sometimes negotiate split contracts ($X if healthy, $Y if injured) ahead of time, and why they try to negotiate injury settlements.

The idea behind an Injury settlement is that the team will give the player a slightly smaller lump sum for the money they would have earned while injured anyway. After that injury duration, plus a six week "tax", the players then have the freedom to resign with any team for additional money.

Apparently they are free to sign right after the settlement is given out. I thought they were suppose to wait until healthy too, but Turbin signed with another team just after 1 week.

CPHawk

Reaction score
At some point you have to just admit you made a mistake, and show up. I'm not seeing why we should pay him a dime more, given the fact he already cost us a game.

seehawkswin

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":2rz8ge1a said:
I'll keep posting this because it's the only logic behind it.....he's not healthy and is putting at risk his future contracts because if he shows up for a physical and cannot perform at the level we are used to, he's going to be asked to take a paycut next year.

He also doesn't get paid for missing time or game checks as well, so it's not like if he shows up, doesn't pass a physical and landed on the PUP list, that he would get paid anyway. I don't think he gets those game checks, unless he actually plays in a game. So whether he's at home on his recliner healing up, or in Seattle getting a daily checkup on his progress at the Seahawks facility doesn't matter.

Seattle is not going to trade him, they will let him heal up, sit out vs playing here and being at 65 to 70% and him perhaps helping or perhaps not helping on game day.

In other news, Dez Bryant is now forecast to be out for 10-12 weeks, so he will have a screw or pin inserted into his foot....which sounds exactly what happened to Kevin Durant in hoops....he came back too early reinjured it again and out another 4 months. I doubt we see Dez Bryant at all this year, which takes away a big asset of one of the playoff contenders for the NFC.....No Jordy Nelson, no Dez Bryant and no Kam Chancellor.....Of all the trade offs, Seattle comes out way ahead in terms of impacts players not in a lineup.

I've been saying this too. It just doesn't make sense for him to be holding out this long just for the money. The reports of him doing well earlier in the summer lead me to think it might be an injury nobody knows about, or maybe it's about fear of concussions. The way he plays, he should be at least a little worried about how his brain will function down the road. That young up and coming LB from SF simply walked away from the game ... Maybe this is Kam's way of "leaving it in god's hands" - he'll either retire, or make enough money to justify a couple more years of risk.

I realize this theory isn't anywhere near conclusive, but nothing else makes much sense.

RiverDog

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":3b5v9ypn said:

I agree with all of that except I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a trade. I agree that it's unlikely, but if Kam is still sitting out in Week 11, we'd be foolish not to at least consider the possibility.

I'm hearing some rumblings that the locker room is starting to turn back towards Kam. Our coaches have a big enough problem trying to win back the player's confidence after the debacle in SB 49. If we get blown out or if we lose due to some sort of controversial decision similar to last week, we could be in real trouble.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
RiverDog":3v1gk7wl said:
NewJerseyHawk":3v1gk7wl said:

I agree with all of that except I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a trade. I agree that it's unlikely, but if Kam is still sitting out in Week 11, we'd be foolish not to at least consider the possibility.

I'm hearing some rumblings that the locker room is starting to turn back towards Kam. Our coaches have a big enough problem trying to win back the player's confidence after the debacle in SB 49. If we get blown out or if we lose due to some sort of controversial decision similar to last week, we could be in real trouble.

Turn back towards Kam?

How?

He has zero argument in his favor. What is there to support?

I call BS.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
RiverDog":2wh786s9 said:
NewJerseyHawk":2wh786s9 said:

Yea? And where are you hearing that? Me thinks you are making stuff up.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Yeah, I want to see a source for that as well. Sounds like BS.