2015 Seahwks = 2009 USC

FanSince82

Reaction score
We've had "slow starts" for years now and nobody has corrected it. Before last year our D kept us in these games, but we started losing a few in 2014. Now we're 0-2 and the slow starts are making us look like a .500 team.

Same thing happened at USC in 2009. The good OC left (Chow) and critical problems on offense that had been building for years weren't addressed. Pete promoted two men as dual offensive coordinators: Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian. Both are Peter principle incompetents. Eventually USC ended the season with a hugely disappointing 5-4 record, 5th place, in the Pac 10. Play calling went into the toilet and Pete did nothing.

I appreciate everything he's done for us. But history is clearly repeating and we just haven't been taking these deficiencies seriously.

Neither he nor Schneider appear to be able or willing to correct it. In my humble opinion, it will be his undoing again. :(

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Carroll certainly does not seem willing to hold his coaching staff accountable. If he doesn't hold them accountable, Paul Allen will hold him accountable.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Chow left after the 2004 season. In 2005 with "Sarkiffian" at OC, USC averaged about 50 points a game, though you have to assume some of that was due to having three-year starters at QB, RB and some of the other spots on offense. Kiffin left after 2005 for the Raiders, leaving Sark as OC until he got the job at WA starting with the 2009 season. Jeremy Bates was the OC in 2009.

The poor relatively poor season--9 and 4 including a win in a lesser bowl--in 2009 was caused by a lot of things: a true freshman at QB after Sanchez unexpectedly left early; smaller-sized recruiting classes in the years after Leinart and co. left school (average of about 19-20 a class); losing 11 players--including our entire starting LB group--to the NFL in the 2009 draft; injuries hurting our linebacker depth for the younger LBs (multiple back surgeries to one guy, spinal stenosis in the neck to another, a heart condition ending the career of a third); having to hire two OCs after the first guy changed his mind when Sanchez declared; and more. Player complacency was part of it, as Pete has said. Guys coming in didn't understand how hard the guys before them had to work to get to the top. The NCAA entering year four of the Reggie Bush investigation also hurt and played into the smaller recruiting classes after 2005; schools were negative recruiting long before sanctions were announced in 2010. I also think that took a mental toll on the entire program.

Credit must also be given to Oregon and Stanford for improving and getting some recruits who might have gone to USC earlier in Pete's tenure.

Yes, coaching attrition played a role. It wasn't the only thing though.

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
FanSince82":2cd7cln5 said:
We've had "slow starts" for years now and nobody has corrected it. Before last year our D kept us in these games, but we started losing a few in 2014. Now we're 0-2 and the slow starts are making us look like a .500 team.

Same thing happened at USC in 2009. The good OC left (Chow) and critical problems on offense that had been building for years weren't addressed. Pete promoted two men as dual offensive coordinators: Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian. Both are Peter principle incompetents. Eventually USC ended the season with a hugely disappointing 5-4 record, 5th place, in the Pac 10. Play calling went into the toilet and Pete did nothing.

I appreciate everything he's done for us. But history is clearly repeating and we just haven't been taking these deficiencies seriously.

Neither he nor Schneider appear to be able or willing to correct it. In my humble opinion, it will be his undoing again. :(

I am seeing similarities to his loss against Texas after that SC team ripped off like 34 straight wins to our SB loss. They gave up a 12 point lead in the fourth with like 5 min left. In the following years, they had some good teams, but they never really struck fear in people like they did in that 34 game run.

I feel we are going the same way. We used to strike fear in people, now they get up for us and don't seem intimidated. Same thing went for those SC teams Pete coached. They used to walk on the field and just beat the breaks off of people for fun.

Not saying we can't turn it around, but Pete never played in another championship game at USC after that devastating loss against Texas.

seahawksfan28

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":1epepna2 said:
FanSince82":1epepna2 said:

I am seeing similarities to his loss against Texas after that SC team ripped off like 34 straight wins to our SB loss. They gave up a 12 point lead in the fourth with like 5 min left. In the following years, they had some good teams, but they never really struck fear in people like they did in that 34 game run.

I feel we are going the same way. We used to strike fear in people, now they get up for us and don't seem intimidated. Same thing went for those SC teams Pete coached. They used to walk on the field and just beat the breaks off of people for fun.

Not saying we can't turn it around, but Pete never played in another championship game at USC after that devastating loss against Texas.

He probably would have if his teams could have beaten Oregon State. Just like the Rams they always seemed to beat Carroll's teams.