Time to ditch the scripted plays?

marko358

Reaction score
This is the fourth straight game, including last post season, where we've done virtually nothing on offense in the first half of each game. Isn't it time to make adjustments and get rid of this antiquated way of calling a game on offense?

dbsn2420

Reaction score
You have to script some base plays to then make adjustments. This is exactly why it generally takes a few drives to get the truck moving. So far this season I believe the hold up is the O line, if they play better the O will start clicking. I think this O has better potential this year but they're just not on the same page yet.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
marko358":25rhgbzg said:
This is the fourth straight game, including last post season, where we've done virtually nothing on offense in the first half of each game. Isn't it time to make adjustments and get rid of this antiquated way of calling a game on offense?

It's not an antiquated way of calling a game. Teams script their first 20 offensive plays or so for the purpose of figuing out the defensive gameplan and ways to attack it while attacking it according to the gameplan in the process. That's never going to change IMO.

In the first couple series you're basically just throwing darts at the wall based on your guesses of how the defense is going to play you. There's absolutely no reason not to script them, as it's vital to your gameplan and preparation and also vital to how you adjust off your gameplan if need be.

Not scripting the first 20 plays or so basically like saying a team would be better off not gameplanning for their opponent.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Don't mind the scripted nature, but I hate how slow they can be to adjust.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
lobohawk":2l52ky1p said:

So..is it correct to assume it is Bevell that makes those adjustments? Is he just not great at making on the fly, in game adjustments throughout the game?...and needs the halftime break so the game stops and he can think/plan/implement adjustments? I hope not.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkFreak":ujt0mwpy said:
lobohawk":ujt0mwpy said:

So..is it correct to assume it is Bevell that makes those adjustments? Is he just not great at making on the fly, in game adjustments throughout the game?...and needs the halftime break so the game stops and he can think/plan/implement adjustments? I hope not.

I saw a Twitter quote from a HS OC (for what that's worth) who observed that Bevell "needs a really large sample size" before he adjusts. I think that's an accurate take. He typically doesn't adjust at all until halftime, and his first-half plans are invariably bad.

lobohawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":18z73oo8 said:
HawkFreak":18z73oo8 said:
lobohawk":18z73oo8 said:

I saw a Twitter quote from a HS OC (for what that's worth) who observed that Bevell "needs a really large sample size" before he adjusts. I think that's an accurate take. He typically doesn't adjust at all until halftime, and his first-half plans are invariably bad.

If true, that's gonna make it hard. Especially for Wilson, who needs an OC (outside view) to help Wilson make the adjustments.

seahawks08

Reaction score
He just needs to flip the playbook and run the plays he has reserved for after half time. I think he feels very strongly on the game plan until half time and then realizes what is not working. GB was over compensating on stopping Marshawn, we could have gotten a score in the first drive of the game and kept the pressure up from the get go, so that we could have kept Rodgers guessing and forced to make mistakes. If we were ahead by a score in the first half, we would have had the game by third quarter.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Was it the scripted plays that made Bennett jump offside? Was it the scripted plays that made the fumbles? Was it the scripted plays that made RW fail to see open routes? How about that the interception in the 4th qtr? Was that the fault of the scripted plays? And of course we all know it was the scripted plays that forced Sweezy to get hit with that personal foul. :roll:

lobohawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":im5v8p7j said:
Was it the scripted plays that made Bennett jump offside? Was it the scripted plays that made the fumbles? Was it the scripted plays that made RW fail to see open routes? How about that the interception in the 4th qtr? Was that the fault of the scripted plays? And of course we all know it was the scripted plays that forced Sweezy to get hit with that personal foul. :roll:

No, but the hawks have shown a tendency to be very slow in the beginning of games (yards, points, first downs). So it's valid to wonder if there is a correlation. It's not saying that's the singular reason they lost.

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
LymonHawk":31eblala said:

The point of this thread was to discuss the offensive struggles this team has seen in the first half of games during their last four games. Your response has nothing to do with any of that.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
If we're scripting the first 20 plays then that's basically the whole first half, since we just go 3 and out over and over again.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I could tell after three plays that the Packers were selling out to stop the run game and would do so until they got burned a time or two. 8 and 9 guys crashing in to stop the run and I don't recall a single play-action pass in the first half.

Maybe Bevell should have a different way to go early when teams do this because most teams are doing the same thing. Russell has good weapons that are all just decoys so Marshawn can run into a pile of nine defenders and Kearse can be smothered by single coverage.

It seems that Bevell is starting to feel some heat with his play calling because it was taking a long time to get plays in last night and timeouts were wasted. I think he is getting even slower at trying to out-think the room. I can almost hear what Bevell is thinking..." I know they know what they think I'm going to do, so I think I'll do what they don't think I'll do because they thought I would do that last time and it worked, but on the other hand, they thought that last time and it worked, so I should do the opposite this time because they'll be expecting me to do the opposite this time...wait, that's not right, oh damn, playclock is running down....3rd and 3, okay, here we go... Best RB in the league with the worst pass pro o-line...empty set with a long developing pass play to our worst receiver will fool eeveryone, let's go with that, it's bound to work this time based on percentage."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Every team scripts plays, so I don't agree with that sentiment.

BUT, I do think we need to ditch the "we need to beat our heads into a wall for 2-3 quarters trying to get Marshawn going when it's obvious to everyone in the building that teams are stacking the box and clogging the middle to stop him.

IMO focus on getting Russell going, not Marshawn. That's what we saw in the 3rd quarter last night, adjustments were to get Russell going, and it worked.

minormillikin

Reaction score
It can be scripted, but needs to be more like a Choose Your Own Adventure.

Do they still make those books? I remember once I decided to read one page by page, from beginning to end, instead of flipping around with choices. It was wild, like some sort of mind-bending David Lynch movie.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
What I don't understand is do they have certain plays scripted for certain situations or is it just a straight 20 plays, it doesn't matter if it's 3rd and inches, if the 15th play on the script is an empty set with all the receivers running deep routes, that's what we're running?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":187vlmsc said:
What I don't understand is do they have certain plays scripted for certain situations or is it just a straight 20 plays, it doesn't matter if it's 3rd and inches, if the 15th play on the script is an empty set with all the receivers running deep routes, that's what we're running?

Most teams script the first couple of series and substitution patterns, then it's adjustments/down distance situational after that.

I defend Bevell, but continuing to pound Marshawn up inside series after series when it's obvious teams are collapsing the middle cutting off his cutback lanes is dumb.

If teams are clogging the middle, then you roll Russell out and attack the sidelines.

rideaducati

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1yhmusdv said:

From what I see, it sure seems that the 15th play is the 15th play no matter what.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I don't understand why we have to actually get the running game going to get the defense to bite on the play action pass. Everyone knows Seattle tries to establish the run early, so take advantage of it, go play action play 1, see if we can get some early success, and for God's sake, get the offense to the line early Russ so you can make adjustments!

Done venting. Thanks.

justafan

Reaction score
The game could have opened up earlier if Wilson kept it on the ZR.It was opened all the 1st half.
Once you have the DE playing to contain Wilson it opens lanes for Lynch.

It would be so easy giving up on Lynch after a few plays but when you are a running team you have to give him his touches.You cant bail as soon as things get tough.

Holmgren used to say he had to remind himself to use SA.I think thats where scripted plays help a OC stick with the gameplan without the emotion of gametime decisions.