So do the Seahawks suck now?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That was the question that my girlfriend asked me this morning, but it bears exploring.

The answer, of course, is no. The Seahawks were simply a great team that is now a good team. And it is a team that is not really sure what it wants to be. To explore the future with this team, we have to look at where we are coming from.

The team 2 years ago, was almost transcendent as far as great teams go. They were undefeated at home, dominated teams with a secondary in a league where all the rules are slanted in favor of the QB/passing game, and were intensely physical. The entire secondary was a match for anyone in the hall of fame at their respective positions. They were faster, mostly bigger and absolutely more productive than any secondary in years. (I believe the #s were at least 1 out of 5 opponent drives ended in a turnover, which is a staggering statistic.)

The entire team was built to complement each piece (This is important for later). We had a fast, slightly undersized defensive line that was kept off the field by a bruising running game, led by a HOF quality back. Opponent defenses would tire just from the repeated hits of the RB but then the scrambling QB would also tire opponent defenses, and make them reluctant to commit everyone to the rush. By the 4th quarter their team was gassed.

The old strategy was to pound the ball, take some shots, and let the defense hold the other team down. Some of those shots would hit their mark and we would force the opposing team into passing more, allowing our secondary to clamp down on them while the pass rush bit hard.

So what about now?

The future of the Seahawks can be seen by looking at a team a lot of us hate, the Steelers.

The Steelers also had a great defense and a young but talented (although too rapey for my taste) QB. At some point, they realized they had to put the keys in the QB hands, and started to shift the team from a team that won with defense, to a team that won with offense. Along the way, they lost a lot of guys that made their defense great. And it took YEARS for the Steelers to really change their identity from a defense first to offense first team. (It is also important to note that they have not sniffed a SB ring after this transition).

Our team had to make that investment in our QB, and we are going to have to make that transition. There is no choice, you cannot expect to win even with a great defense without a good QB - and good QBs eventually cost money which over time will cost defensive players.

The problem the Seahawks face now is that the team is half one piece and half another. Like a boat with wheels. We have a lot of money tied up in the defense, but we have no choice but to turn into a team that wins with offense given the $$$ we are putting into the QB position. Yet the QB is not ready to be the focal point (though he might be capable) or our substandard OC is holding that QB back right now.

We have an overly conservative offense, that is not consistent enough to sustain drives and because it relies on moving up the field in 5-6 yd chunks*, one drop or missed completion means the loss of the drive. This also shows near the goal line because our lack of offensive complexity makes us easy to defend.

(Also the poor offense makes the loss of our DC hurt more. I think there was a theory that our defense was all Carroll and so missing Quinn was not an issue, but given what Quinn is doing in Atlanta and what we are NOT doing...I would say a lot of that success was Quinn).

We are still a team playing like it can keep the game close with a defense and expect to wear out the other team in the end. But we don't have that defense, so all keeping the game close does is assure that when our offense stalls, the defense tires. Then the opponent races past us - as keeps happening.

(* Can we have someone break down the stats in the passing game? It would be interesting to see those #s. We look like we are doing a lot of low reward type of stuff in the pass game with one or two moonshots thrown in there. )

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
No we don't all the sudden suck...

Two rough road games to start the season, while trying to learn on the go. Lots of new players, new coaches.

The o-line is a work in progress with new young green players and trying to integrate Jimmy.

The defense is playing with half the LOB, Earl still trying to get up to speed, were still trying to learn to play without Norton and Quinn.

Some easy home games, getting back into sync, we'll be back.

seahawks08

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1uw27szt said:
No we don't all the sudden suck...

Two rough road games to start the season, while trying to learn on the go. Lots of new players, new coaches.

The o-line is a work in progress with new young green players and trying to integrate Jimmy.

The defense is playing with half the LOB, Earl still trying to get up to speed, were still trying to learn to play without Norton and Quinn.

Some easy home games, getting back into sync, we'll be back.

This!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
These last two games have been arguably the Hawks' two toughest of the season. They've been on the road against great defenses, and they've been lost only by a handful of pivotal plays. The Seahawks led in each. We do not suck.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
They're bad. Season is over. I'm jumping on the Niners bandwagon, they're 1-1.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Geezus.

Its becoming very obvious how many "Hawk fans" are recent additions to the fanbase.

BBQHawk

Reaction score
No matter how good we were the past two years we wouldn't have won games where we turned the ball over three times late in the game against a top team on the road. Simple as that. Minus the turnovers and a couple penalties the outcome last night would have likely been quite different.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
Our next three are against Lions and Tigers and Bears... Oh my!

6-2 by the bye week is a distinct possibility and EVERYBODY will have forgotten about 0-2.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe, but I think that the Seahawk tendency of getting leads in the 4th and then losing them (going back to last year) is indicative of a team that has not made the transition yet.

It also bears mentioning that while there were complaints last year, and we DID make it to the SB in spite of the issues raised (Bevell), that issue ended up biting up in the tail pretty hard in the SB.

I don't think we suck but I certainly don't think this is a top 5 in the NFL team by any standard.

We are also 3 games behind GB now.

The team that won with defense is gone. We have to turn into a team that wins with offense, as much as it pains me to say that.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
No we don't suck.

The schedule given to this team was as tough as you could ask for. It sounds like an excuse, but it's the truth.

Only two games played, 14 more to go. Let's see how well the team performs at home, trying to establish some momentum

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2p51tmjv said:
Maybe, but I think that the Seahawk tendency of getting leads in the 4th and then losing them (going back to last year) is indicative of a team that has not made the transition yet.

It also bears mentioning that while there were complaints last year, and we DID make it to the SB in spite of the issues raised (Bevell), that issue ended up biting up in the tail pretty hard in the SB.

I don't think we suck but I certainly don't think this is a top 5 in the NFL team by any standard.

We are also 3 games behind GB now.

The team that won with defense is gone. We have to turn into a team that wins with offense, as much as it pains me to say that.

The team that won with defense wasn't gone last year after we lost in San Diego, was it? How about after giving up 28 last year on the road to the Rams?

Can we please quit with the overreacting?

There may be a time to panic down the road, but its too early.

This team is 2-0 and high fiving with the Cardinals schedule. Let it play out.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3013adcd said:
No we don't suck.

The schedule given to this team was as tough as you could ask for. It sounds like an excuse, but it's the truth.

Only two games played, 14 more to go. Let's see how well the team performs at home, trying to establish some momentum

Exactly. We should be 2-2 soon enough. If we were to drop one of the next two, well... THEN maybe we have issues. But I think 6-2 or 5-3 is very realistic by the bye week, then we have three straight home games after that.

The worst is over.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2pmq8rnm said:
That was the question that my girlfriend asked me this morning, but it bears exploring.

The answer, of course, is no.

A lot of typing could have been saved by stopping right here.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm as frustrated as anyone, but no, we don't suck.

We've lost, what, 2 out of the last 3 at STL ? We haven't blown them out down there in 5 years.

And GB is insanely good at home. I thought our secondary played pretty well honestly.

If you had told me before the game GB would score 27, I would say that still gives us a chance.

If you had told me we'd only score 17, I'd say that gives us no chance. You're not going to hold GB to 13 points at home.

chawx

Reaction score
I can see what OP is saying, and I don't fully disagree that all you spoke of COULD happen... but it's only 2 games in and we've played 2 tough teams on the road. I'm not ready to say we're the Stealers just yet.

Exploding

Reaction score
Great post - another good comparison is the Patriots. A lot of people forget that they won with defense before transitioning with Brady. I expect much the same here.

253hawk

Reaction score
0-2 by the slimmest of margins against two teams we always struggle against on the road. Everything that could go wrong went wrong against the Rams and we still made it to OT. It was the first OT loss in the Wilson era; we were due to drop one eventually. And while the first half in GB looked like Homgren-era sluggishness, the offense had a pretty solid 3rd quarter before fairly uncharacteristic turnovers did us in.

GB started 1-2 last year and everyone was freaking out (R-E-L-A-X). They finished 12-4 with the #2 seed only because we beat them for the tie-breaker

It's a long season and I'm frustrated, but not worried. The NFCW looks wide open and that's all I care about at this point.