Is Jimmy Graham already getting restless?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-offense/

If this was posted already just delete, but it seems like the Harvin discontent might have been rooted in reality.

What if the problem was we don't know how to use good/great receivers - instead of it being "Harvin was a jerk"?

*(For the record, I still think Harvin was a jerk...his track record everywhere else shows that)

Is this yet another indicator that our OC simply cannot produce, even when given the resources?

Rob12

Reaction score
It's troublesome. He's a guy that is used to 10-12 targets a game. Last night he had two. He sees this offense struggling and it would make sense that a player of his caliber would start to wonder where he fits in.

Yeah, it's only been two games. But it does make you wonder. He's an insane talent and a threat every play. And yet, so far he's been a ghost in this offense.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Rob12":1voi77da said:
It's troublesome. He's a guy that is used to 10-12 targets a game. Last night he had two. He sees this offense struggling and it would make sense that a player of his caliber would start to wonder where he fits in.

Yeah, it's only been two games. But it does make you wonder. He's an insane talent and a threat every play. And yet, so far he's been a ghost in this offense.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/30AcreFortress/status/646033220148989952[/tweet]

rideaducati

Reaction score
Rob12":3rmfqluj said:

Jimmy's touches are coming soon. The receiving corps is in the process of getting the better players on the field and when they get there, there will be change to how defenses play the Seahawks which will allow their offense to take off. It's coming...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He didn't talk to a reporter after a loss. Big deal.

Everything in Silver's piece is innuendo and speculation.

minormillikin

Reaction score
1. PFT takes small bits of info and interprets it however they can to get the most clicks. They're worse than Bleacher Report because they pose as real journalists.

2. That said... I think Seattle is like witness protection for receivers and pass catching tight ends. If you want to be forgotten as a receiver, or just lay low for a while, join the Seahawks.

3. If I were Graham I would be very restless and consider joining whatever support group Zach Miller suggests.

netskier

Reaction score
I agree with both the thread title and the question. I saw Graham yelling at Russell in the Rams game. This is what happened to Practice chemistry under Rams game stress. I saw no yelling last night, but I did see body language of depression in Jimmy.

His supreme talent is being wasted so far. Matthews was in the game in combination with Graham, which is the way to start, and yet this dynamic duo caught only three passes total. The buck stops with Russell because he is free to override Bevell at least until he gets admonished.

There is a problem in the coaching chain between Pete and Russell, and Pete must solve it.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I've seen instances in the past 2 games where he was open and just didn't get the ball thrown his way. Other times, he was double covered. Some of it is on Russell for not taking chances or being indecisive, some of it is on the OC.

Graham is not a scramble drill type of player. And some of the balls that have been thrown his way were either inaccurate or low. He's a tall receiver, Russell needs to put it where only he can get it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I guess it was true what they said, no one knows how to shut down Jimmy quite like the Seahawks

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
DavidSeven":g1s0fzfc said:
He didn't talk to a reporter after a loss. Big deal.

Everything in Silver's piece is innuendo and speculation.
Exactly.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Way too over reactionary after just 2 games.

It's completely foolish to be blaming the OC when JG was on the field for about 90 percent of the offensive snaps. Bevell can't throw the ball too.

Our offense is built to run the ball. We have to get the blocking to open up some holes and the Beast needs to find the gaps instead of turning into the pursuit.

Sunday's loss has two drives end with costly turnovers. A 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty was also a drive killer. This isn't the Seahawk way.

I am very confident we will still make a strong run and be at home for at least one playoff game.

McG

Reaction score
Well this thread went south fast.

RW and his relationship with Bevell, from all that I've read/seen is really good, a little too good for my liking. Even if you get past the "bad playcalling" then there is the fact that our OL scary average. I don't even think average is the right word for it, mediocre is probably the best fit. It is hard to stand in the pocket (with a 5'11" guy muchless) if you can't consistently create one. The reason Graham isn't getting the ball as much as everyone wants is simple, our OL is more than likely, not allowing our OC to call any plays that remotely stretch the field. Those usually only come about from RW running and creating time for his receivers to get down field or even open. The more experience Graham gets with RW and his tendencies will help him grab a few of those "broken plays", much like Baldwin and Kearse usually are part of. It's a work in progress, hopefully the offense can put it all together.

rideaducati

Reaction score
McG":kn8c45a9 said:

RW and his relationship with Bevell, from all that I've read/seen is really good, a little too good for my liking. Even if you get past the "bad playcalling" then there is the fact that our OL scary average. I don't even think average is the right word for it, mediocre is probably the best fit. It is hard to stand in the pocket (with a 5'11" guy muchless) if you can't consistently create one. The reason Graham isn't getting the ball as much as everyone wants is simple, our OL is more than likely, not allowing our OC to call any plays that remotely stretch the field. Those usually only come about from RW running and creating time for his receivers to get down field or even open. The more experience Graham gets with RW and his tendencies will help him grab a few of those "broken plays", much like Baldwin and Kearse usually are part of. It's a work in progress, hopefully the offense can put it all together.

The pass protection last night was actually pretty good. Russell had PLENTY enough time to throw, but he still won't throw the ball unless guys are WIDE OPEN and no QB in the league would have enough time to wait for Kearse to get WIDE OPEN very often. Better receivers are earning more playing time every week and soon Russell will either decide to give them more chances or he will continue to hold the ball too long. Either way, Russell needs to do better.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":ijv4bcvn said:
McG":ijv4bcvn said:

The pass protection last night was actually pretty good. Russell had PLENTY enough time to throw, but he still won't throw the ball unless guys are WIDE OPEN and no QB in the league would have enough time to wait for Kearse to get WIDE OPEN very often. Better receivers are earning more playing time every week and soon Russell will either decide to give them more chances or he will continue to hold the ball too long. Either way, Russell needs to do better.
Yes. A good example of that came right before the field goal. Russ had Willson open for the first down, but he hesitated and that allowed the Packers' Matthews to come up and disrupt the play, bringing on Hauschka. Russ needs to trust his receivers and get the ball out a bit sooner

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":1lfaz5ip said:
McG":1lfaz5ip said:

The problem you are forgetting is this is not a Wilson thing but a PC thing, remember low turnover, no chances. If your HC is telling you this you would not throw it unless they were wide open either and there in lies the problem.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":13386pyj said:
I guess it was true what they did, no one knows how to shut down Jimmy quite like the Seahawks

Ah this is sad but true.

It's been just two games right? We have to find a way to make Jimmy good, right?

Wartooth

Reaction score
Russ won't throw the ball into tight spots!
Except from the one yard line in the Super Bowl!
He has had this beaten into him by Pete, protect the ball no matter what.
It's what is, and has been killing this offense...(That, and Bevell has 5 plays on his card!)
Along with an Oline that struggles, and receivers who are less than reliable.
Not bashing, but Russ' accuracy has been less than stellar, and some of our receivers have a tendency to tip uncatchable balls into the air for picks.
It's tough...
On one hand, he should let it fly when the guy is Jimmy and he has a short DB covering him.
On the other...
You don't do that with Willson.
I don't want Russ to play like Luck, and try and force every throw.
But, I would like to see more throws into 'loose' coverage...
Just to try something different from what isn't working!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
If Graham was expecting to come to Seattle and get as many targets as he got in N.O. (not that he had a choice in coming), well, he's an idiot. His comments about not being used to finding space off-script is, while also obvious, more troubling.

Said it before, but trading for Graham and hoping he'll develop skills he hasn't shown before (e.g. blocking, turning into a Tate-like backyard baller) just doesn't make a lick of sense.

While it may continue to be a problem, upcoming wins will likely patch over these holes, at least in the short-term.

El Caliente

Reaction score
As a Saints fan its to be expected for Graham to have 4 down games a year. These are games when he gets 4< receptions. He will bounce back from this past week.

That said, he is a top receiver who is emotional. I wouldn't be surprised to see him angry with his situation. Its nothing you guys are doing wrong. I think many players realize this game is a business, and after the Saints contract negotiations with him, he was eternally rubbed the wrong way, and will have a constant chip on his shoulder, and just be angry. We are talking about this issue (as well as how good Unger is) on Saintsreport.com. Its so odd how this trade has worked out for both parties.

Latest posts