No Love For Punching Bag Willson For The Great Catch?

Burnplant

Reaction score
Haha - it was more than a great catch!

But yeah, it's in a loss, so...

Lifelong fan, rarely post, so you are on your own, but awesome catch.

capncrunch

Reaction score
He had two nice catches. Everyone is talking about the lack of JG targets, but it was cool to see Luke make some plays. I like to see a lot of different receivers make plays.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We always lose those moments in the darkness that closes in after losses.

Last week, if we had won, people would be going nuts over #16 and it would have been the talk of the week - if his TD was the difference that took us to OT for the win.

He scored a TD in his first game, would have been all over the press. But instead it was lost in the 'What is wrong with the Seahawks?" question.

This week we had another great moment with the fantastic catch by Willson and Wilson throwing darts in the 3rd.

Both were lost to the gloom after but it was one hell of a catch by Willson.

bandiger

Reaction score
He gets no love until he makes up for dropping a TD against the Rams.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
That catch was ridiculous. Willson is a great athlete and is rounding into a complete TE, as he gains experience and improves his blocking and hands.

ComplexHairyBelugawhale

It's also kind of ridiculous that Russell feels comfortable making these kind of throws to Willson in coverage but not to Jimmy Graham. Carroll/Bevell/Wilson blamed Percy Harvin's departure on "changing the offense." Now, they seem to be going out of their way to make sure that Graham plays no role in the offense whatsoever. The problem with this reasoning is that Graham is 1000x the receiver and route runner that Harvin was, and he can make jump ball catches better than just about anyone else in the league. Graham is a perfectly natural fit in this offense as a Split End, go-to WR; he has the same athleticism as Mike WIlliams (the last WR to be targeted 100 times in this offense).

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Willson has fallen down the punching bag depth chart.

How I think it is right now:

1. Bevell
2. C Williams
3. Lockette
4. Kearse
5. Irvin

I don't think Willson is even in the top 5 punching bags.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I thought it was lucky.

Like many of his good plays, he bounced it around before securing it.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
As my dad always says, "The sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while."

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This guy is one of the stiffest TE's I've ever seen. He needs to try some hot yoga with Maxwell.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
My favorite moments from Luke Willson . . .

CavernousSpotlessHen.gif

It doesn't get much better than this . . . great route running to get on top of their secondary and then turns on the jets to beat their corner to the end zone. Not many TEs who wouldn't get caught from behind on this play. We took the lead here and never let up on a historic day for the offense.

OrderlyWindingFlamingo.gif

Here, he beats tight coverage and holds onto the ball as he takes a shot from the safety. This play won us the game.

CautiousUncomfortableBernesemountaindog.gif

Willson's first TD gave us a lead against the 49ers (briefly). Love that stiff arm on Carlos Rodgers and run after the catch.

IllHospitableGalapagosdove.gif

This was a heads up play by Luke to get open after a long scramble by Russell. He displayed nice agility to quickly turn it up field and finished strong on the run after the catch, falling forward near the first down marker.

GloriousMassiveBrahmanbull.gif

Again, just a beautiful play to snatch this ball between two defenders, to secure the football, and then to just refuse to go down, dragging a defender for 20 yards after the catch.

HandmadeNearLadybug.gif

Once again, Wilson uses his athleticism and sure route running to beat the Cardinals' secondary over the top.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I don't know why so many are down on Willson. He busts his butt and is a good blocker. They must be jealous of his hair

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Another nice play by Luke deserving of commendation. He runs a simple post route, but the LBs are all keying on Lynch due to the play action, leaving Luke open for the first down. Nice job going low to adjust to the ball.

BadGenuineBilby.gif

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I will include these blocking plays as well. Not because they are particularly special but because they show how far he has come after not being able to block his own shadow a year or two ago. He still needs to get stronger, especially once they figure out how to use Graham and consequently use Willson more in-line.

AptBewitchedBeetle

CarefulEveryEmeraldtreeskink

AfraidEqualAracari.gif

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":l2tk0q15 said:
I thought it was lucky.

Like many of his good plays, he bounced it around before securing it.

Yeh, I'm glad we got the next play off, I thought a challenge was coming when I saw the ball touching the ground on the replay. Didn't look totally secure to me.

Interesting that against the Packers we tried a similar play to his second TD @Cardinals last year, like we'd game-planned for it. Didn't notice us trying to engineer these situations with Jimmy.

Never harboured high hopes for Luke but he came up with some big plays on Sunday, I also don't get those blasting him for a TD drop @Rams, that was just good coverage.

All said, I preferred Moeaki, who's still a FA, as is Zach; though he just put his house on the market.