All 22 @GB (offense - 1st half)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Thought I'd go back and take a look at some of the All 22 from Sunday since I can't sleep. Didn't even get through the first offensive series for Seattle without a "what the ____?!". I mean, we had bad blocking, poor decision making and bad play calls (imo) right off the bat.

Initially I wanted to see what was going on w/ the defense (plenty going on there too) but our offense is what has freaked me out thus far so for now I'll stick to Seattle's offensive play.

I'll provide my take on them but some of you more knowledgeable posters are more than welcome to correct me where I'm wrong. (I'll add more screen shots to the OP as I get through the film)

So let's get started.

Q1, 1st Series

1st and 10 - Seattle's in a single back, 3WR set. They put Lockett in motion and throw a quick screen to him. Doug and Graham (I assume) need to block the two DBs to the play side with Okung trying to get to the 2nd level to pick up the LB.
GB002 zpsew9n5wdw

Instead, Graham and Baldwin block the same guy, leaving the RCB unblocked and he blows up the screen.
GB003 zpso7yxq6bo

2nd and 10 - I formation (on 2nd and 10?), 3WR. GB brings a safety up to the LOS putting an extra man in the box to the play side. If everybody blocks, you will wind up with ML 1:1 with a safety.
GB004 zpsv0i2c8fd

Instead, Nowak gets blown up at the LOS and the NT meets Lynch a yard and a half into the backfield. TFL. Onto 3rd down.
GB005 zpsfw9jxhho

3rd and 11 - Shotgun. R/O to Lynch.
GB006 zps5qe1w3qb

Bit of a heart breaker here because our offfensive line actually blocks well. Everyone is in good position to the play side and there is a HUGE hole for Lynch to run through but he tries to cut it back... into Mathews and Mike Daniels.
GB007 zpsatqzv5fv
GB008 zpsycvhdr9s

Punt.

Q1 2nd Series

1st and 10
GB009 zpscxz2f23x

Safety gets to the hole before Lynch does. Starting to wonder if Marshawn has lost a step. This is not a good series for him either. Rather than plow through the safety or bounce this outside, he cuts it back into the linebacker that Willson fails to block on the back side of the play.
GB011 zpsvdealym3

2nd and 10
I formation on 2nd and long again (this time w/ a TE). Looks like a half-ass play action that goes to a covered fullback in the flat. All of the motion is going to the side that Wilson throws to so I'm a little confused by this one. He doesn't even go through any progressions on this play. Looks at Coleman the entire time.
GB012 zpsazm1hoaw

In the end, it doesn't matter because everyone is covered. Just not a successful play even though it's a completed pass.
GB013 zpswkmuafus

3rd and 8
Really nice job of Russell recognizing the breakdown in coverage on this one. Looks like the corner passes Doug off to the safety but the safety is out of position/forgets he's responsible deep there. Unfortunate that Doug has to turn around to catch this one because he could have scored if the ball were out and thrown on a low enough trajectory. Graham does come free on this play but the throw to Doug was the way to go.
GB014 zpskee29nt6

Nice pickup and a 1st down.
GB015 zpslcjljt2y

1st and 10
Russell tries to get one to Graham. Ball is under thrown and Graham misses an opportunity for an easy PI if he'd only made an attempt on the ball.
GB016 zpsii9s9ada
GB017 zpsivst8lag

2nd and 10
R/O left and Russell keeps it for a 10 yard gain. Lynch cuts back and runs with him but can't get out there fast enough to get a block on Mathews who saves GB from a big gain.
GB018 zpshqzg8asn
GB019 zps70srwebd

1st and 10
Single back. Lynch off of the left guard. Sweezy pulls, Gilliam and Willson allow a DT to get penetration on the back side. Nowak loses to Raji and Britt falls over on a double team. Raji and the DT meet at Lynch.
GB020 zpshsjbiscc
GB021 zpswga0ceod

2nd and 10
This is the play that convinces me that Lynch has lost a step (the other one was the R/O where he can't beat Clay Mathews to the edge on a RW keeper). Read option, the defense bites hard and Lynch has the cleanest hole I've ever seen to cut back through. The LB plays it really wide to set the edge and keep Russell from taking it but somehow manages to catch catch Lynch with his feet together as he's trying to make a cut. Would have been a huge play, maybe even a TD.
GB022 zpsh9lzleed
GB023 zpsetodnkpk
GB024 zpsjsfxyj2h

3rd and 3
Willson falls down in his route and Russ throws an incomplete pass.
GB025 zpsxjfjwjyx

54yd FG

There's a series in the 2nd quarter that looks like a "what not to do" highlight reel for run blocking. Britt and Okung come off of a double team simultaneously, allowing the defender a direct path to Lynch in the back field while they both move to the 2nd level. It's really hard to watch. Nowak was abused by Raji up to this point.

GB026 zpsniedohxo

and then...

GB027 zpsqrs6qsl1

More 2nd quarter stuff:

1st and 10
GB028 zpsn4q3fykm

Russ has a nice pocket. Dumps the ball off to Lynch. Doug was actually open for a while on this one as the deep safety continued to drop. Lynch picks up 12 or so on the play after breaking a couple of tackles I think.
GB029 zpsqbwkdttp

1st and 10
Not a bad play here, just unfortunate that the defender is right in the passing lane and gets a hand up. Forcing Russ to throw the ball a little behind Luke or this is likely another 5-7 yards after the catch.
GB030 zpsztaiecgq
GB031 zps2gpotagh

1st and 10
More of Nowak getting pushed into the backfield on this one. Just gobbles up the running lane and forces the play outside.
GB032 zps5rodbvms

Gilliam completely whiffs on his block but Sweezy is there to clean it up for him. Unfortunately, it's just a doomed play at this point.
GB033 zpswcdip9sn

2nd and 16 (due to a false start on Okung)
GB034 zpsdlxrrz36

This play has no chance.
GB035 zpsifelk5rh

Britt, Nowak and Gilliam get worked on this play. Raji crashes down on Britt and Daniels trucks Nowak into Britt. Raji is in the backfield with ease. Russ scrambles for a short or no gain. (think I read something from a poster here about Wilson being "baited" into doing this. I hope this isn't an example of what they were talking about. This is a combination of good coverage and terrible pass blocking.
GB036 zpscrgmjhrm

Okay here's the last play I'm going to do for the first half.

1st and 10
Bread and butter play here. If we can run this effectively, we win ball games.
GB038 zps8hkuczuh

Looking good, right? We've got offensive linemen at the 2nd level. Willson's in position to kick the OLB out on the left side. Okung and Britt have the DT bottled up...
GB037 zpsdkyht9ew

And then... Britt doesn't hold his block.
GB039 zpst3lbpvlv

Time to move onto the 2nd half. I'll make a new thread for that one.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for doing this.

Exactly the same thing happened last week on our first screen to Lockett. Coleman and Doug both blocked the same guy. Looks like Doug crapped the bed on this one?

Raji was a tough assignment for Nowak, pushing him all over the place all night, and Nowak's shown himself to be a pretty tough guy to move.

Not the first time I saw Lynch take it the wrong way in the first half, was it that obvious live? Don't think he trusts his right side, and I guess I don't blame him. Gilliam concedes plenty of space and has shown that he can be disengaged with relative ease, and Sweezy's been poor over the first couple of weeks (against some top linemen) but looks like he might have been owned again there?

erik2690

Reaction score
Maybe it was a designed cutback for Marshawn....that doesn't make much sense the way it's blocked but only excuse I can see. I mean I get these are sceenshots but there is nothing on that cutback. Even if he doesn't see that seemingly decent gap going lateral to try to cutback with field position almost doesn't make sense even if he thinks it's only a few yards going to the middle-right where that gap is. The more I look at it the less it makes sense, he's running toward 2/3 unblocked guys and the way it worked out makes it look like they created a good hole right. Maybe it's trick of screenshots and it's obviously 20/20 hindsight, but if Sweezy gets one more guy Lynch has a 1 on 1 with a safety after a 5+ yard gain and if he avoids that he breaks it big. Maybe seeing the game in screenshots is inherently unfair perspective, but that certainly doesn't look like a great read.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":gw9lpw5i said:
Thanks for doing this.

Exactly the same thing happened last week on our first screen to Lockett. Coleman and Doug both blocked the same guy. Looks like Doug crapped the bed on this one?

Raji was a tough assignment for Nowak, pushing him all over the place all night, and Nowak's shown himself to be a pretty tough guy to move.

Not the first time I saw Lynch take it the wrong way in the first half, was it that obvious live? Don't think he trusts his right side, and I guess I don't blame him. Gilliam concedes plenty of space and has shown that he can be disengaged with relative ease, and Sweezy's been poor over the first couple of weeks (against some top linemen) but looks like he might have been owned again there?

Actually, Sweezy is the one that got punked by a LB. Gilliam blocks his man.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":26jesy2s said:
SomersetHawk":26jesy2s said:
Thanks for doing this.

That's what I was suggesting.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3sk1xezv said:
Laloosh":3sk1xezv said:
SomersetHawk":3sk1xezv said:
Thanks for doing this.

That's what I was suggesting.

Heh, my bad. I misread initially. Thought you'd asked if Gilliam got beat.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
This is a tremendous post.....I have always maintained that the OL gets a bad rap and that a different back or a back that is a step faster/smarter (not exactly Christian Michael, but perhaps that back is Thomas Rawls), hits the creases faster. What Lynch makes up for not hitting the holes faster, is his power and adding yards after contact, so you take the good with the not so good.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Bill Barnwell is that you?

Excellent post, I found it fascinating. Keep it coming!

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Really appreciate this. It's so frustrating watching all those plays then seeing that 3rd quarter happen. That should have been going on the whole game. We probably score another 2-3 TD if it does.

aawolf

Reaction score
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. Please post more if you have time. It was great to see these plays broken down this way. I'd like to see some in the third quarter where the offense was rolling to give me more optimism though.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Not only does Lynch look a bit slower this year, but he appears not to be breaking one on one tackles like we're used to seeing. On the second last play of the Super Bowl and in this game, he's been taken down with an ankle tackle and I don't remember seeing that before. Nobody in the media is talking about Lynch's play. Once they do, release the social media wrath of Mama Lynch.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. Probably won't hit every play of every drive but I'll try to get the good/bad from the rest of the 1st half and then hit the highlights of the 2nd half (and what may have improved).

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The play where Sweezy pulls and Raji crashes into the back field to stuff lynch is the type of play that Herm was discussing in the studio. He said that it also happened against the rams every time our guards pulled. I guess this is the kind of thing that comes with having too many young offensive lineman learning on the job though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This is awesome man. Shows this offense isn't very far off, just need to clean up some things. Nowak has had a brutal first two weeks though.. however, Donald and Raji aren't the easiest tandem to start out with.. hopefully the Bears remedy some of that.

If he struggles this week though, I really think we might see Patrick Lewis or even a call to Samson Satele.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
On that dump off to Lynch with Doug wide open, does he get his head round at all? Looks like Russ just took the yards that were there.