Throw Jimmy the ball

hawknation2015

Reaction score
6'7 Jimmy Graham is facing single coverage against a 5'11 strong safety in the end zone . . . your best receiver should be your first read here, no?
CiSqmJP.gif

On 3rd and long, there was no way Russell was going to be able to scramble for the first on this play. Graham, meanwhile, is WIDE OPEN to his left if he would look for him, with one defender to beat within ten yards of him.
BriefSomeBrahmancow.gif

Russell has Graham with single coverage to his right, but instead throws to Willson with the free safety already cheating to the left side of the field. Result is an incompletion.
WeightyImpeccableGnu.gif

Again, Russell has Graham open on one side of the field (left) but instead throws an incomplete pass to Willson.
ElectricBonyIndochinahogdeer.gif

Russell is already a great QB. He will be an even better one when he learns how to throw to a receiver over the middle on a crossing route. I think we saw the same kinds of issues with an open Doug Baldwin in the Super Bowl.
CostlyNewHarborporpoise.gif

DisguisedImmenseGrunion.gif

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Got to put the ball where only Jimmy can get it on the first one. That was his bread and butter at NO. Marshawn has to run into the space there though (right). Good to see Doug breaking some ankles again.

Second one looks like there wasn't quite enough time. In fact, had the O-line done slightly better here Russ might have been able to connect with an open Kearse or Lockett on the sideline. There were multiple times where we were just a fraction away from having the time to make the play, we'll start making them as we continue.

Third one, looks like Russell's first reads are right, Sweezy gives him no chance of checking left for Graham.

Saw a couple of out-routes where Jimmy was open but Russ tucked and ran for less. Russ just doesn't seem comfortable pulling the trigger on those yet, and I'm not sure it's totally a conservative ball-protection thing because he gives Kearse the chance to make those plays all the time.

northseahawk

Reaction score
The funny thing is, RW isnt shying from throwing into double courage or tightly guarded Luke Willson, Baldwin, kearse, and even Lockett. But he refuses to throw it to Jimmy who made a living catching balls tightly guarded.

I'm starting to get a feeling that Wilson may somehow not be wanting to throw it to jimmy purposely.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":301dcz8x said:
The funny thing is, RW isnt shying from throwing into double courage or tightly guarded Luke Willson, Baldwin, kearse, and even Lockett. But he refuses to throw it to Jimmy who made a living catching balls tightly guarded.

I'm starting to get a feeling that Wilson may somehow not be wanting to throw it to jimmy purposely.

You saying Jimmeh boinked Ciara?

Makes sense.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
northseahawk":27siypp0 said:

Carroll, Bevell, and Wilson have all made a point of saying they will not change the offense for Graham, after changing the offense was blamed for the failure to integrate Percy Harvin into the offense last season. So they now have Graham playing in-line, because he has the letters 'T' and 'E' next to his name, which is just dumb. Graham is a natural Split End in this offense.

erik2690

Reaction score
"On 3rd and long, there was no way Russell was going to be able to scramble for the first on this play. Graham, meanwhile, is WIDE OPEN to his left if he would look for him, with one defender to beat within ten yards of him. "

I mean there is clearly times where he has to get it to Jimmy or try. This was like a 3rd and 20+ though I think and Jimmy is like at the LOS. He was open, but it wasn't like first down yardage. Russ obviously thought he had more lane than he did. I mean it wouldn't be a bad dump off, but it seems like he's open somewhat b/c the D is fine with a 7 yard pickup and rallying to the ball there.

It also seems like that last gif by the time he has Jimmy over the middle there is someone right in his face moving him off the spot. Maybe he had a quick window there.

"Again, Russell has Graham open on one side of the field (left) but instead throws an incomplete pass to Willson."

Should Graham be in the route Willson was? Seems like having him on his own instead of the side with the 2 v 2 action might be best...?

Definitely need to get it Graham more and have him be first read more, on a couple of those he isn't an early read.

Do you have the first target that was an incompletion from some other angle? The one that was like up the sideline. Never saw a reply, heard Brock talk about it today.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
erik2690":39xj4njn said:
Do you have the first target that was an incompletion from some other angle? The one that was like up the sideline. Never saw a reply, heard Brock talk about it today.

I thought the pass was low . . . you want to get the ball higher to Graham, where only he can get his hands on it.

LightRewardingAmericanredsquirrel.gif

Part of this is Wilson still developing chemistry with Graham. Part of it is that Wilson has never had a receiver as dynamic on jump balls as Graham. This is a totally new thing for Wilson. Over time, it should become the thing that elevates his game to a whole different level.

erik2690

Reaction score
hawknation2015":969ert4g said:
erik2690":969ert4g said:

I thought the pass was low . . . you want to get the ball higher to Graham, where only he can get his hands on it.

Part of this is Wilson still developing chemistry with Graham. Part of it is that Wilson has never had a receiver as dynamic on jump balls as Graham. This is a totally new thing for Wilson. Over time, it should become the thing that elevates his game to a whole different level.

Any back field angle? It's hard to tell what happens completely. Any chance back shoulder is good there? Reason I ask is Jimmy is almost behind the defender when he throws it. I don't know I guess you are right just go high and make him out jump the guy. At least he was willing to take a well covered shot at him there. Just zero in on doing it better as you said and keep going to it. I hope to see that, thanks for the gifs.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Mike Williams is the blueprint for how you fit a talent like Jimmy Graham into a Pete Carroll defense . . . not Zach Miller. Graham is bigger, faster, stronger, and more dynamic than Williams was. Williams was the last receiver to be targeted 100 times in the Carroll offense. Graham is the big receiver outside that this offense has been desperately missing, particularly on 3rd downs and in the red zone. This should be a match made in heaven.

It is why people are upset when they see great potential being squandered by the inside-the-box thinking of a simplistic coordinator like Darrell Bevell.

FewExcitableEkaltadeta
FrenchScentedHound
InsignificantEvenCockatiel.gif

AcidicColossalHorsemouse
TameBriskAfricangroundhornbill

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3vvog3gw said:
Mike Williams is the blueprint for how you fit a talent like Jimmy Graham into a Pete Carroll defense . . . not Zach Miller. Graham is bigger, faster, stronger, and more dynamic than Williams was. Williams was the last receiver to be targeted 100 times in the Carroll offense. Graham is the big receiver outside that this offense has been desperately missing, particularly on 3rd downs and in the red zone. This should be a match made in heaven.

It is why people are upset when they see great potential being squandered by the inside-the-box thinking of a simplistic coordinator like Darrell Bevell.

FewExcitableEkaltadeta
FrenchScentedHound
InsignificantEvenCockatiel.gif

TameBriskAfricangroundhornbill

I think Matthews will be the go to guy on the outside with Graham towering over LBs and safeties in the middle and Lockett and Baldwin buzzing all around.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
erik2690":gj25ajc6 said:
hawknation2015":gj25ajc6 said:
erik2690":gj25ajc6 said:

Any back field angle? It's hard to tell what happens completely. Any chance back shoulder is good there? Reason I ask is Jimmy is almost behind the defender when he throws it. I don't know I guess you are right just go high and make him out jump the guy. At least he was willing to take a well covered shot at him there. Just zero in on doing it better as you said and keep going to it. I hope to see that, thanks for the gifs.

Here is the other angle:
OrderlyShadyDegus.gif

Ideally, Wilson should have thrown it where only Graham could have gone up to attack the football (See the first BMW clip above).

If and when that happens, the Wilson-to-Graham combination might become unstoppable. But it's going to take a completely different mindset than what Wilson is used to, and not just in the sense of having a taller receiver who can go up to make a play.

Jimmy Graham is not one of the undrafted WRs whom Wilson has directed over the last three years; he is one of the great big receivers in league history. He should be treated like the weapon he is: Graham should be the dominant force on the outside, through the air, that Marshawn is on the ground through the middle of the field.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":3tyydzh7 said:
I think Matthews will be the go to guy on the outside with Graham towering over LBs and safeties in the middle and Lockett and Baldwin buzzing all around.

Matthews is not as fast as Graham or Williams. It's T.B.D. whether he has the precise route running to be more than a one-hit wonder in this league. On the other hand, Graham already has a proven track record over multiple seasons while playing the majority of his snaps as a receiver. In this offense, the Split End position is the go-to #1 receiver. Why would you take a proven weapon like that and neutralize him by lining him up in-line, where his energy is wasted on (poorly) blocking defensive linemen and on routes where Russell's line of sight is more limited over the middle of the field?

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":22qdl8a0 said:
rideaducati":22qdl8a0 said:

Matthews is not as fast as Graham or Williams. It's T.B.D. whether he has the precise route running to be more than a one-hit wonder in this league. On the other hand, Graham already has a proven track record over multiple seasons while playing the majority of his snaps as a receiver. In this offense, the Split End position is the go-to #1 receiver. Why would you take a proven weapon like that and neutralize him by lining him up in-line, where his energy is wasted on (poorly) blocking defensive linemen and on routes where Russell's line of sight is more limited over the middle of the field?

Williams wasn't fast while with the Seahawks. He used his body to box out defenders. Matthews could do that and the kid can jump. I just hope he gets more opportunities. Less Kearse is a good thing.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
hawknation2015":f6b52ml9 said:
6'7 Jimmy Graham is facing single coverage against a 5'11 strong safety in the end zone . . . your best receiver should be your first read here, no?
CiSqmJP.gif

On 3rd and long, there was no way Russell was going to be able to scramble for the first on this play. Graham, meanwhile, is WIDE OPEN to his left if he would look for him, with one defender to beat within ten yards of him.
BriefSomeBrahmancow.gif

Russell has Graham with single coverage to his right, but instead throws to Willson with the free safety already cheating to the left side of the field. Result is an incompletion.
WeightyImpeccableGnu.gif

Again, Russell has Graham open on one side of the field (left) but instead throws an incomplete pass to Willson.

Russell is already a great QB. He will be an even better one when he learns how to throw to a receiver over the middle on a crossing route. I think we saw the same kinds of issues with an open Doug Baldwin in the Super Bowl.

First and foremost, I agree with you. The film clips you chose though also highlight another big issue with our offensive design. Look at the receiver routes / patterns... Why are all of our receivers running directly into defenders? Shouldn't they be attempting to run away from the defense? On one hand Russell is adverse to throwing into tight coverage and on the other our scheme has the receivers running into tight coverage?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1z74u3os said:
hawknation2015":1z74u3os said:

First and foremost, I agree with you. The film clips you chose though also highlight another big issue with our offensive design. Look at the receiver routes / patterns... Why are all of our receivers running directly into defenders? Shouldn't they be attempting to run away from the defense? On one hand Russell is adverse to throwing into tight coverage and on the other our scheme has the receivers running into tight coverage?

Bevell features a simplistic route tree.

But on this play in particular, Russell could have been a little more patient. The pocket was clean, Graham was wide open in the flat, Fred Jackson was open with a little less space, and Kearse was also open on the right side for close to a first down. It's like Bevell has taught him it is impossible to complete a 3rd and long, so why even attempt one? Just run for a few yards and force a punt. It's no different than a draw play on 3rd and long.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":15gcvm4g said:
CiSqmJP.gif

This is what drives me nuts about Russ. That ball should be out as Graham is running the post. Instead he doesn't throw it, runs and flips it to Marshawn for no gain. That's a touchdown if he throws it immediately and to where only Graham will get it. Not to mention, Baldwin is also a possibility due to the attention on Graham.

BriefSomeBrahmancow.gif

Yep.

WeightyImpeccableGnu.gif

To heighten the issue, this should have been picked off too. Russ got away with one. I think he could have taken a shot with Kearse as well.

This I'm not as critical on Russ about, because CMIII is late getting over to Luke, and Luke would have been open had he not slipped. I think he actually made the right read on that one.

First throw looked really tight. Second one he definitely could have hit, though if memory serves his scramble gained 10 yards

kearly

Reaction score
Thanks for the gifs. Always prefer these over stills.

GIF#1. The single high safety looks like he's baiting Russ to throw at Graham so he can jump the route and pick it. If Russ is going to throw this, it would need to be just as Graham is curling inside around the time he crosses the goal line. If he throws there with anticipation, it's a TD. If he doesn't throw with anticipation, it's too dangerous a throw unless thrown very high, and with Graham's momentum carrying him out of bounds it's probably not going to be caught. It would need to be an anticipation throw.

Additionally, Wilson is forced to move to avoid the pass rush a moment before he'd be stepping into his throw for Graham. I do think Wilson was looking there. If his protection was just a little better, he might have gone for it.

GIF#2. I don't think Graham picks up that first down. The DB would probably be hitting him about 2 yards past the LOS, and even if he broke that tackle, he'd have to restart his momentum and get 8 yards downfield for the first before the next defender got there. Not saying it's impossible, but usually that play is going to get less than 10 yards nine out of ten times in the NFL. Given the low chance of success, it feels like Graham is a decoy on this play. Feels like bad play design by Bevell. You want Graham 10+ yards downfield on 3rd and 10, not in the shallow flat looking for a screen.

GIF#3. Iffy decision at best for Wilson to go deep here. Graham is decently covered, but it's one on one. I agree, give this one to Jimmy.

GIF#4. This could have been a really nice play, but Luke Willson slipped.

gmor

Reaction score
northseahawk":33y34fev said:

Russell is just going to have to get comfortable with Jimmy and take some chances with him. Another short QB had pretty good outcomes doing it.....