Fieldgulls: Graham didn't get many targets vs GB because...

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Icky.

Don't disagree with everything he says, but plenty of it. Also neglects to mention Willson being targeted because the pressure didn't allow for Russ to read Graham, like on the play where Luke slips (you can blame Sweezy for that one). In general, he gives Luke way too much credit on the basis of a lucky catch. Hard to suggest he's taken his play to another level on the evidence of a two catch performance.

I commented last week that there was no point making Graham the third, fourth or fifth read because our line rarely allows for that kind of time, that means that if you're going to give the ball to Jimmy, you're going to have to do it with him being 'covered'. What no db in the league can cover, is his 6,7 frame and the catch radius that allows for. If we don't learn to give it to Jimmy more in these quick-hitting 1v1 situations then there's no way he's on the team next year.

I also commented on Willson getting all the deep routes, and if it genuinely is because they favour his athleticism and ability to get down field then I do Bevell's stupidity a disservice. Will be interesting to see how their routes compare on Sunday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Davis Hsu pointed out 4-5 screencaps on Twitter after the game where Russell either didn't see Graham open, or didn't change the play when Graham had one on one coverage.

From listening to both Russell and Pete's pressers yesterday, it's obvious that they both know this, which is why they said stuff like "we just missed him" or "we have to do a better job of recognizing."

Like I said yesterday, I don't care what the down and distance is or defensive formation..........if Graham is on the outside with one on one coverage on a DB or slow ass LB? You throw him the damn ball, EVERY.TIME.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's pretty funny, during the broadcast, they announcers were showing all of our WRs on a certain play, and saying "there's really no place for Wilson to go", then they showed Graham. He was running 1 vs 1 on a CB down the sidelines. Graham was BEHIND said CB, he had inside position, and there was no safety help over the top. You can clearly see this on the broadcast view because the safety was coming over to help, but he was already only as deep as Graham was.

I will say that Wilson was rolling right and Graham was on the left, but he's 6'7" and in white. Not sure how you miss that. I've seen him throw that ball to Kearse when Kearse was much better covered.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sunday won't be a true measuring stick, because the Da Bears have no defense. After that we'll see if we can pass to Graham (and Willson).

bandiger

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37s73lx0 said:
Davis Hsu pointed out 4-5 screencaps on Twitter after the game where Russell either didn't see Graham open, or didn't change the play when Graham had one on one coverage.

From listening to both Russell and Pete's pressers yesterday, it's obvious that they both know this, which is why they said stuff like "we just missed him" or "we have to do a better job of recognizing."

Like I said yesterday, I don't care what the down and distance is or defensive formation..........if Graham is on the outside with one on one coverage on a DB or slow ass LB? You throw him the damn ball, EVERY.TIME.

Yep, its damn annoying.

chris98251

Reaction score
bandiger":2zuo923i said:
Sgt. Largent":2zuo923i said:

Yep, its damn annoying.

This is the reason why I think Wilson is handcuffed in making Audibles by Bevell. Farve said screw it and did it anyway, thats what created a big rift there in Minnesota. I think that situation has made Bevell a untrusting or egotistical person. We see how things flow differently in the hurry up and two minute when he is much less involved and it's on Wilsons shoulders.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":2z48p0zt said:
bandiger":2z48p0zt said:
Sgt. Largent":2z48p0zt said:

Yep, its damn annoying.

This is the reason why I think Wilson is handcuffed in making Audibles by Bevell. Farve said screw it and did it anyway, thats what created a big rift there in Minnesota. I think that situation has made Bevell a untrusting or egotistical person. We see how things flow differently in the hurry up and two minute when he is much less involved and it's on Wilsons shoulders.
Ding, ding ding!! Chris posts for the win.

morgulon1

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2y7zch52 said:
Icky.

Don't disagree with everything he says, but plenty of it. Also neglects to mention Willson being targeted because the pressure didn't allow for Russ to read Graham, like on the play where Luke slips (you can blame Sweezy for that one). In general, he gives Luke way too much credit on the basis of a lucky catch. Hard to suggest he's taken his play to another level on the evidence of a two catch performance.

I commented last week that there was no point making Graham the third, fourth or fifth read because our line rarely allows for that kind of time, that means that if you're going to give the ball to Jimmy, you're going to have to do it with him being 'covered'. What no db in the league can cover, is his 6,7 frame and the catch radius that allows for. If we don't learn to give it to Jimmy more in these quick-hitting 1v1 situations then there's no way he's on the team next year.

I also commented on Willson getting all the deep routes, and if it genuinely is because they favour his athleticism and ability to get down field then I do Bevell's stupidity a disservice. Will be interesting to see how their routes compare on Sunday.

Why can't they make #88 the number one option? Nice catch by Willson but come on man, he's had games where he's dropped 4-5 passes and he dropped a sure TD versus the STL Rams. Too streaky. Graham has better hands. The author of the article said it himself.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2e04ssyw said:

This. It might of been you I can't remember but someone mentioned that the Saints basically force fed the ball to Graham every time they saw him with one on one coverage. They would literally change the play to take advantage of it. Seattle has to be willing to do this.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is what a OC that trusts his QB does, they have hot reads for blitzes and also mismatches, Wilson gets the Blitz reads but when there are mismatches he stays with the play. Hell you could have the whole D line moves to the sidelines and if a pass play was called Wilson would throw the ball versus a Handoff if that what was called, yes thats extreme but not far from accurate.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2n15suwt said:

This! Absolutely this!

Part of the reasoning for bringing Jimmy to Seattle in the first place was to help open up the running game by forcing other teams to double cover him. That's never going to happen if he doesn't get lots of targets when he's single covered.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
morgulon1":1h01rg2h said:
SomersetHawk":1h01rg2h said:
Icky.

Why can't they make #88 the number one option? Nice catch by Willson but come on man, he's had games where he's dropped 4-5 passes and he dropped a sure TD versus the STL Rams. Too streaky. Graham has better hands. The author of the article said it himself.

I didn't think Luke dropped the TD against the Rams, I thought it was damn good coverage.

Russ can throw to a covered Jimmy, on his TD catch in week 1 he put it where only Jimmy could get it, and he did so whilst about to be trucked. It did seem like we were a fraction of a second away from getting a play to him on a few occasions on Sunday but that was because we'd put him in the wrong situation in the first place.

drdiags

Reaction score
I love my team, there is something about them that will never change. Only the Seahawks could screw up bringing in Graham. Graham should be to Wilson what Olsen is to Newton. Peyton could take any TE (Tamme, Clark, you name it) and have them be a factor. Look at Brady. If Gronk is here, he is blocking a DE the majority of the game while Kearse just misses the sideline catch or Willson gets a hand on the ball, only to see it fall to the ground.

The Seahawks need to stop trading for other team's high priced stars or signing them as FA. They would have ruined Marshall or Vincent Jackson if they came here.

Stand back, I am about to snap up in here ... phew, I feel better now. Ha ha! Damn Idiots!

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":23zx66p9 said:
I love my team, there is something about them that will never change. Only the Seahawks could screw up bringing in Graham. Graham should be to Wilson what Olsen is to Newton. Peyton could take any TE (Tamme, Clark, you name it) and have them be a factor. Look at Brady. If Gronk is here, he is blocking a DE the majority of the game while Kearse just misses the sideline catch or Willson gets a hand on the ball, only to see it fall to the ground.

The Seahawks need to stop trading for other team's high priced stars or signing them as FA. They would have ruined Marshall or Vincent Jackson if they came here.

Stand back, I am about to snap up in here ... phew, I feel better now. Ha ha! Damn Idiots!

Add his name to the pantheon. Branch, Houshmendzadeh, Harvin, Graham.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Great analysis.

We got great production from the tight end position as a whole and this illustration punches a hole in the contrarians who assumed that Graham was blocking the entire time. He wasn't. Luke was just getting open more often and he produced. Jimmy was being targeted by the Packers coverage unit, leaving other players open. You don't want your QB throwing into double coverage when another player is open.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":pmdbaxdt said:
bandiger":pmdbaxdt said:
Sgt. Largent":pmdbaxdt said:

Yep, its damn annoying.

Yeah, and how did that turn out? Favre's stupidity cost the Vikings a trip to the Super Bowl.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":zgfzzkq0 said:
Yeah, and how did that turn out? Favre's stupidity cost the Vikings a trip to the Super Bowl.

Hummmm....He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. That's a real pickle to be in!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":n7ct37k3 said:
Siouxhawk":n7ct37k3 said:

Hummmm....He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. That's a real pickle to be in!
I realize that Favre was always a gunslinger. It was his mentality. Actually what really cost the Vikings the Super Bowl ride were those cheating Saints and their despicable defensive tactics. They were a bunch of two-bit thugs in that game.