What do Pete/John see in Bevell to keep him?

seabowl

Reaction score
Yes I'm aware we have been to 2 straight bowls however I think some of it was in spite of Bevell not because of him. I just can't understand what they see in this guy to keep him around. People have mentioned that he is trying to target Graham. IMO he may be targeting him but what he is scheming is not working. It goes on and on with his play calling. I was so excited when we had Jeremy Bates as our OC and feel the exact opposite with Bevell. I can't ever recall a more maligned OC in the league. No wonder Wisconsin didn't want him as their HC.

Can someone tell me why he is on this team?

652cHAWK

Reaction score
Some of the blame, er reason why Bevell is still here, etc....has been put on RW and various members of the offense for bad play execution and poor decision making. Essentially, that is what PC said was the case for the RW int. play in XLIX. We didn't execute the play well, and the other team made the play. One could say the same for the GB game, RW throws the pick to 91 Elliott when we're still very much in it with 6 + minutes in the game. So, this and the fact that we went to two straight super bowls is why he's still here, in my opinion.

All that being said, I think we need to start playing more like we do in the 2nd half, presumably more RW's run game, open it up in the first half, so we don't always have to put the pressure on our team for the 2nd half and play catch up. Although, it is nice to eat up the clock with slow and steady drives, albeit we need to score at the end of them.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Because unlike a lot of our fans they don't single out a scapegoat who can be blamed every time anything goes wrong on offense.

Player doesn't execute? Bevell.

Player doesn't get enough catches? Bevell.

Lynch doesn't get a hole in the run game? Bevell.

Forget the HC, QB, WR, OL, TE, assistant HC. It's all Bevell all the time.

The obsession continues.

Maybe, just maybe, Carroll knows what he's doing?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think the only reason DB is still here is loyalty. Pete's biggest strength (loyalty) is also his biggest weakness.

Ozzy

Reaction score
English I love you but Bevel deserves some of the blame. Its odd I never see any coaches, scouts, film guys etc. really going to bat for Bevel anywhere. I do think he is fantastic at times too. He hasn't been good for a while now and I wonder if he is just in his own head and is lacking confidence because of all the criticism he has received lately. I hope a few easy games get him and the team back on track. We need Bevel to be at his best if we are going back.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2chzqik2 said:
Kris will be a HC in this league before Bevell is.

Bevell could get the Wisconsin HC job. NFL HC? Are you serious?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Purpose of this thread:

Goad someone into saying something non-terrible about Bevell then beat up on them.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":31l2ogqq said:
Because unlike a lot of our fans they don't single out a scapegoat who can be blamed every time anything goes wrong on offense.

The obsession continues.

It's called accountability. On Wall Street if a CEO's employees underperform and the company misses its earnings estimates the CEO is held responsible. If this happens for multiple quarters activists investors, like Carl Icahn, will swoop in and make sure the CEO is bounced. Bevell is the CEO of our offense and he hasn't been good enough. Why should deeply invested fans be disparaged as emotional reactionaries when they call for a coaches dismissal when Harvard MBAs are lauded as reasonable for pursuing the same course in ousting CEOs?

Bottom line: Let's please stop treating these football guys like they're always infallible and fans like they're always ignorant. GMs and coaches make catastrophically stupid decisions all the time. Chip Kelly was lauded as a genius when he was hired by the Eagles. I guess Philly fans are stupid for questioning his genius off-season moves. And Chip is only the most recent example. A few years ago many around here had "In Ruskell We Trust" sigs. When some of us started to really question his decisions we got the same treatment. "Timmy is super smart and you're just a fan." How did that work out?

PC and JS deserve our trust but that doesn't mean we turn our brains off. They have blundered from time to time and deserve criticism just as they deserve plaudits for all their successes. Bevell is simply not good enough and the Seahawks deserve better.

HawkGA

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1bg3pmdf said:

In fairness, didn't Bevell throw Lockette under the bus after the Super Bowl? I am actually a little surprised he didn't go after doing that. That, not the call, but throwing Lockette under the bus, seems like a very non-Carroll thing to do and I kind of expected more of a response from Pete.

grizbob

Reaction score
seabowl":3w4i4gq8 said:
Yes I'm aware we have been to 2 straight bowls however I think some of it was in spite of Bevell not because of him. I just can't understand what they see in this guy to keep him around. People have mentioned that he is trying to target Graham. IMO he may be targeting him but what he is scheming is not working. It goes on and on with his play calling. I was so excited when we had Jeremy Bates as our OC and feel the exact opposite with Bevell. I can't ever recall a more maligned OC in the league. No wonder Wisconsin didn't want him as their HC.

Just because YOU don't know what they're doing doesn't mean they don't :179422:

Cartire

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3hax37f3 said:

The obsession continues.

Bevell has noticeable flaws. But Ive never thought he was as bad as the crowd cries. He shows patients. Which, the lack of, is a huge flaw in other OC's. Its evident in his overall scheme (which probably comes from PC). The first half is always slower, because they are just trying to pound and get the D a bit slower. Then second half, start moving RW. Start opening up the field. Profit (usually). They dont get to crazy in the first half even when behind. Keeps the other D complacent and tired. Execution has been the biggest factor Ive seen the last 2 games. RW being indecisive at times. Run blocking being ridiculous. Plays, that if executed properly, would have kept drives alive. Ive also seen some great plays called, and some good execution on those plays.

Were just not winning the battles at a high enough percentage. Our guys need to hit the Gym some more.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
seabowl":hjq0898d said:

Because they know more about the game of football, especially at the pro level, than any fan ever will.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
652cHAWK":1jfs77dq said:
Some of the blame, er reason why Bevell is still here, etc....has been put on RW and various members of the offense for bad play execution and poor decision making. Essentially, that is what PC said was the case for the RW int. play in XLIX. We didn't execute the play well, and the other team made the play.

And the Patriots said that they made the play because they recognized it from film as one of the very few goalline concepts the Seahawks had been running all year. The Super Bowl is not the time to stay simple on offense, with Lynch, without any big receiving targets, against one of the league's defensive minds.

Bevell might simply be around because of a) the desire for consistency, an important consideration at all times; b) the right replacement hasn't come along; c) because our personnel are still so underdeveloped that Pete just doesn't see Bevell as the main problem; d) still scarred over the Jeremy Bates thing (fought with the other coaches, didn't use Lynch); e) some of all the above.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":1dy98o4o said:

The "in spite" of Bevell just indicates you don't know what you are trying to discuss. He is a proven OC who has helped take this team to 2 Super Bowls ... the primary objective of an NFL franchise. No one, and I mean no one, is kept around if they are dead weight with the stakes as high as they are.

djb28

Reaction score
My father laughs at me weekly with a "I told you so." As he is a Vikes fan.
What am I suppose to do about it? It isn't my doing! But I must take this harassment!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":38iz1ebg said:
theENGLISHseahawk":38iz1ebg said:

In fairness, didn't Bevell throw Lockette under the bus after the Super Bowl? I am actually a little surprised he didn't go after doing that. That, not the call, but throwing Lockette under the bus, seems like a very non-Carroll thing to do and I kind of expected more of a response from Pete.
No he didn't throw him under the bus. This is a myth you have perpetuated because you gullibly follow social media and prefer to parrot falsities.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't see an issue with Bevell.

Spent the last two weeks having to defend him this past week. The amount of blame attributed to him for the defense giving up 34 and 27 points in back to back weeks is insane.

Bevell has to be given a lot of credit for developing Wilson. He's been considerably better than other rookies who've entered the league in recent years. And Wilson has surmounted the second stage of development where most rookies fail: Adjust and improve once the league figures out what you do.

Also, if one of the signs of a quality coach is the ability to make adjustments during the course of games, then I'd have to give him props for that. Seattle has been much more effective in the middle/late part of games. When we need to alter the game plan, we are effective in that.

Seattle isn't an offense that is supposed to score 35 a game. Seattle is supposed to run for 100+ yards and chew up clock. The reality is, the running game is not producing at all. On the flip side, the passing game is greatly improved. Wilson is above 70% on completions and on pace for 4500 yards. That's mostly due to a really ineffective rushing attack.

Seattle is going to have to come out of it's shell this year. I don't think we're going to fix these rushing issues. We may see spotty improvement as the competition pales over the next couple weeks. But this year always struck me as a likely regression in that area. Possibly a combination of new OL and the possibility of Lynch's decline. I think we are simply not a good rushing team this year. At least not now. And the offense will continue to be constipated so long as they keep trying to get it revived.

If/when the rushing game is either fixed or abandoned will probably define this season offensively. At some point we'll have to fish or cut bait with it. I don't pin that on Bevell. That's a team philosophy thing that originates with Carroll. As it stands, I'm pretty comfortable that Bevell/Wilson can shoulder the offensive load if granted the mandate to do so via the pass.

There is no question in my mind, that all of the frustrations of these two games lies solely on the defense. This is supposed to be an elite unit and they are playing every bit like the 17th to 23rd ranked defense that they are currently rated. We sacrifice Bevell's hand intentionally by paying our defense more than any other team in the league and with just a few exceptions -- almost twice as much. That has nothing to do with Bevell.

Our team's blueprint for winning is a great rushing attack and an elite defense. We're mediocre and below league average in both. Bevell has nothing to do with that.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1qevb6gx said:
I think the only reason DB is still here is loyalty. Pete's biggest strength (loyalty) is also his biggest weakness.

Don't forget he fired Jeremy Bates after one year. He's let go of multiple former USC players.

I don't think Pete has any problem moving on when he feels he needs to.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":yn5h0wgm said:
theENGLISHseahawk":yn5h0wgm said:

The obsession continues.

Bevell has noticeable flaws. But Ive never thought he was as bad as the crowd cries. He shows patients. Which, the lack of, is a huge flaw in other OC's. Its evident in his overall scheme (which probably comes from PC). The first half is always slower, because they are just trying to pound and get the D a bit slower. Then second half, start moving RW. Start opening up the field. Profit (usually). They dont get to crazy in the first half even when behind. Keeps the other D complacent and tired. Execution has been the biggest factor Ive seen the last 2 games. RW being indecisive at times. Run blocking being ridiculous. Plays, that if executed properly, would have kept drives alive. Ive also seen some great plays called, and some good execution on those plays.

Were just not winning the battles at a high enough percentage. Our guys need to hit the Gym some more.
This is brilliant. We live in an ADD world these days and a patient OC like Bevell runs counter to these afflicted fans, who feel they can run up 60 points a game in Madden with their trusty joystick in hand. I'm not trying to be flippant, but what it comes down to is that they don't know the Seahawks' way, which is to put a premium on ball control and take over in the fourth quarter. Who gives a damn how many touches Graham gets as long as we win.