Question on the Reporting of the Kam Situation

HawkGA

Reaction score
This isn't about the Kam situation itself or what it means for the teams but simply about the reporting on it. When I first heard about it, it was Adam Schefter reporting on a tweet Stephen A. Smith received, but when I look at 710 ESPN, they talk about John Gee breaking the story.

a) Who actually broke the story?

and

b) What the heck does it mean for Schefter to be reporting on a tweet that Stephen A. Smith received? Shouldn't Smith be the one reporting it?

Boiler

Reaction score
Gee Scott at 710 radio got a text from him early this morning at about 6:20. I'm not sure if that was the only person he notified, but he was definitely one of the people to hear it first hand from Kam.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Gee broke it first. Kam later told Stephen A. Smith. I doubt either he or Schefter follow Gee.

I don't believe Schefter is in control of his own twitter account today. On 710 they mentioned his observance of Yom Kippur.

Boiler

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":a2jo6cs2 said:
Why does it matter who tweeted it first?

I wouldn't say it matters, but I for one think it's interesting to know which reporters have enough trust and confidence of the players to get first-hand news, and which ones just regurgitate news or rumors they get elsewhere.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Boiler":3cvwktgr said:
ImTheScientist":3cvwktgr said:

I wouldn't say it matters, but I for one think it's interesting to know which reporters have enough trust and confidence of the players to get first-hand news, and which ones just regurgitate news or rumors they get elsewhere.

Kam was pretty much blocking any one he perceived as not supporting his point of view on twitter, including Brock Huard from Brock and Salk. I'd guess he was only contacting those who supported his side of the matter. He didn't seem all that interested in hearing any opposition to his holdout

kobebryant

Reaction score
kidhawk":2rvloztd said:
Boiler":2rvloztd said:
ImTheScientist":2rvloztd said:

Kam was pretty much blocking any one he perceived as not supporting his point of view on twitter, including Brock Huard from Brock and Salk. I'd guess he was only contacting those who supported his side of the matter. He didn't seem all that interested in hearing any opposition to his holdout

Ray Lewis was opposed his holdout and he had Kam's ear.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":g1w4xwq6 said:

More of a curiosity. I recall seeing something from I think last season about reporters and the "scoops" they try to get attributed to them. I can't remember the reporter in question that I'm thinking of, but I remember it involved Steve Young glaring at him for basically trying to take credit for something that wasn't his scoop. Just curious if something like that was going on here.

And in general I just find the "Schefter reporting on Smith's tweet" thing to be really weird.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":r4gn3cu7 said:
Boiler":r4gn3cu7 said:
ImTheScientist":r4gn3cu7 said:

Gee Scott did address this. It kept him from lashing out and saying something he'd later regret. Smart move.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kobebryant":3qcgx3du said:
kidhawk":3qcgx3du said:
Boiler":3qcgx3du said:
ImTheScientist":3qcgx3du said:

Ray Lewis was opposed his holdout and he had Kam's ear.

Not true. Lewis explicitly said he supports Kam on the business part of what he was doing and only felt that he should be out there when it came time to play the games. He was definitely a supporter of Kam getting being paid.

ivotuk

Reaction score
That's what I understand it to be too, Gee Scott talked to Kam Monday morning, and when Kam told him it was hard to watch Marshawn struggling, "and from the tone in Kam's voice I knew he'd be in soon."

Then Kam flew in last night on a private charter and contacted Gee early this morning wanting to know what Gee had to ask. Gee told him "to do what you need to do to get ready for the game." and that he didn't need to talk to him right now. Just glad to know he was back.

I think Schefter, and other like Mortensen have been set up by the sports network as the "insiders." Same with Jay Glazer. Because of their history, and their contacts, they are now the go to guys where breaking information is funneled to them, then they report it.

I'm guessing, but about half their scoops are probably broken by local guys getting them the info. Maybe someone like Gee with local contacts who works for ESPN is supposed to forward some of his breaking news to the big figureheads at ESPN, but allwoed to keep the big nuggets for himself?

Just me paraphrasing and guessing here on how it works.

I think John Clayton may be the very best at juggling all of these things at once and is possibly themodel that the networks strive to emulate.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
It's twitter. Most these reporters want to be "first" to break a story or at least appear to be among the first.

In some cases, a reporter's source info is only be a little bit behind the breaking news, so they might confirm the news or add additional info to get some of that "first" reporting credit.

In other cases, I feel there are some reporters on twitter who do regurgitate news without giving credit to whoever broke the news first, so it appears they were the ones to report it first.

Rocket

Reaction score
Boiler":3oaismmv said:
ImTheScientist":3oaismmv said:

The word "regurgitate" is the perfect descriptor of Journalism today. Sigh. :141847_bnono:

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
From what I understood, Kam was talking to Gee on almost a daily basis during this hold out.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Boiler":2qz8dd9c said:
ImTheScientist":2qz8dd9c said:

john clayton :roll: