A Public Apology to Kam Chancellor

Rob12

Reaction score
Let's start this off by saying that I was wrong.

I work in a very stressful environment. Every single day, I put my life on the line. I don't get paid much, but I am able to feed my family. Each day, when I kiss my wife and three boys goodbye for the day, I am not 100 percent certain that I will see them again. That's a bit of a tough pill to swallow, but I have made the choice to stick with my current profession, and that's that.

When I started this career, I hired on with a former NFL player. We had to go through some training together, and what I noticed about this individual was that for as big and strong as he appeared to be, he was the one person in our class that just couldn't handle pain. A small tweak of his wrist resulted in a contorted face, and the pain that he was feeling was obvious. Later on, I watched this individual walk up some steps. He stopped halfway up, unable to proceed further.

He was 43 years old. His NFL pension wasn't set to kick in for another two years, and he was just trying to get by. He had played 11 years for the Washington Redskins, and won a couple of Super Bowls. But at a seemingly young age, his body was absolutely, 100 percent shot. It was sad to see. Here he stood at six feet five and 300 plus pounds, and he just wasn't physically there.

I equated Kam Chancellor's holdout to my own predicament. As I said, I put my life on the line every day. And I thought, mistakenly, that that somehow gave me a license to be pissed off at our strong safety. After all, we both had a tough job, but he was paid a whole hell of a lot more than I am. That continues to be true today. The thing is, compared to Kam Chancellor I am relatively safe, and can reasonably expect to not get ****** up day in and day out.

But then, after today, I had to ask myself why the actions of a 27 year old young man affected me so much. The answers that I got didn't sit well with me. First and foremost, I love the Seattle Seahawks... And a big part of me was pissed off at a man that was, right or wrong, somehow hurting the team that I love.

I've called Kam Chancellor out. I've called him out on here, and on social media. I've made judgments on this man, and I don't know why. I think back to the years that I worked with the former NFL player, and I remember how battered and bruised he was. Honestly, I don't know how he made it through. Then I remember reading an article that out of 91 dead NFL players, 87 of them had signs of CTE. Not only were their bodies battered and bruised, but their brains were as well. Then I remembered that this individual that I worked with had trouble remembering simple instructions, and it gives me pause. This isn't as clear cut as I wish it was.

Football players make millions - this is true. Kam Chancellor forfeited more money in one day than I will earn in four years. That's a fact. But perhaps it will somehow prolong his cognitive life. We think these guys are merely living out their dreams, and most of them are. But it can't be easy. It can't be easy to know that you work in a profession that might literally make you mentally ill. It might shorten your life so much that when you're 50, you will forget where you are going when you back out of your driveway. You might be driving down the road, and you may forget how in the hell you're going to get home, because you forgot where you live. This is the reality of former players like Tony Dorsett, after all. It's pretty messed up when you really stop and think about it. These guys are spending such a small window of their lives doing something that we demand they love, but the repercussions of their careers are something that most of us can't even imagine.

And really, what the hell is money, anyway? The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business. I've been at the Clink with nearly 70,000 rabid 12's, and the money we pour into these Sunday afternoons is insane. But at the end of the day, there's 53 dudes that make it so. And then we get pissed at the ones who give pause to their chosen profession and want to make as much money as they can. It's a risk/reward thing, and the risk is paramount. Am I really going to get pissed at arguably our best and most important player on defense because a guy like Cary Williams makes more coin than him?

What's the going rate for a clear mind? What's the growing rate for seeing your grandchildren grow, and being able to actually know what is going on? I don't know the answer to that question, because I've never been there. I can reasonably expect that when I'm 50, I'm going to be alright.

So, the point of this whole post is to apologize to Kam Chancellor. I think my love for the Hawks has tarnished my basic tolerance for another human being to do what is best for him. Because at the end of the day, PC/JS are going to do what's best for the Seattle Seahawks. When Kam is 30 and loses a step or two, they're going to take a hard look at things like cap hits and whether or not Kam is an asset to this organization. Hell, I change my mind plenty of times during the week, and apparently Kam has changed his mind on his current contract. And who am I to judge that?

I'm sorry, Kam. The fact that you held out for 52 days and are the only current player in the league to have a hold out of this magnitude under the current CBA probably says something that we need to listen to. No longer will I believe your holdout was an attempt to hurt my team, the players you battle with, or the fans. Your holdout was about you, and most likely you weighing the risk versus reward in this game. The former NFL player I worked with whose body was completely done with at a mere 43 years old is a pretty fresh reminder that this game is an unforgiving, cold piece, and you have to get yours while you can, because this team, as well as the fans, will spit you out as soon as you cease to be a productive piece of what happens on the field. That's a sad reality.

I apologize for questioning your intelligence. You were just looking out for you. I believe you when you said that watching this team drop two games hurt you. And I believe you when you say that you're simply ready to play football and help this team be what it can be. But believe me when I say that I don't fault your holdout, nor do I fault your desire to put more guaranteed money in your pocket.

Welcome back 31, and I am truly sorry. I know you don't need nor want my apology, because I turned on you. But I messed up.

Welcome back, 31.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
...and honestly, it's OK if not many here are with me. But sometimes the heart just gets convicted. My words towards Kam and his choices were uncalled for, and I'm good with owning that.

This is just football. At the end of the day, this is just football.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Kam forgives you. Kam forgives everyone for his holdout

Boogman

Reaction score
Rob12":3nqmwn7n said:
This is just football. At the end of the day, this is just football.

This. I'm just glad that he's back.

Besides, we won't be talking about this in a week's time. All will be forgotten.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Rob12":39sb04k6 said:
Let's start this off by saying that I was wrong.

I work in a very stressful environment. Every single day, I put my life on the line. I don't get paid much, but I am able to feed my family. Each day, when I kiss my wife and three boys goodbye for the day, I am not 100 percent certain that I will see them again. That's a bit of a tough pill to swallow, but I have made the choice to stick with my current profession, and that's that.

When I started this career, I hired on with a former NFL player. We had to go through some training together, and what I noticed about this individual was that for as big and strong as he appeared to be, he was the one person in our class that just couldn't handle pain. A small tweak of his wrist resulted in a contorted face, and the pain that he was feeling was obvious. Later on, I watched this individual walk up some steps. He stopped halfway up, unable to proceed further.

He was 43 years old. His NFL pension wasn't set to kick in for another two years, and he was just trying to get by. He had played 11 years for the Washington Redskins, and won a couple of Super Bowls. But at a seemingly young age, his body was absolutely, 100 percent shot. It was sad to see. Here he stood at six feet five and 300 plus pounds, and he just wasn't physically there.

I equated Kam Chancellor's holdout to my own predicament. As I said, I put my life on the line every day. And I thought, mistakenly, that that somehow gave me a license to be pissed off at our strong safety. After all, we both had a tough job, but he was paid a whole hell of a lot more than I am. That continues to be true today. The thing is, compared to Kam Chancellor I am relatively safe, and can reasonably expect to not get ****** up day in and day out.

But then, after today, I had to ask myself why the actions of a 27 year old young man affected me so much. The answers that I got didn't sit well with me. First and foremost, I love the Seattle Seahawks... And a big part of me was pissed off at a man that was, right or wrong, somehow hurting the team that I love.

I've called Kam Chancellor out. I've called him out on here, and on social media. I've made judgments on this man, and I don't know why. I think back to the years that I worked with the former NFL player, and I remember how battered and bruised he was. Honestly, I don't know how he made it through. Then I remember reading an article that out of 91 dead NFL players, 87 of them had signs of CTE. Not only were their bodies battered and bruised, but their brains were as well. Then I remembered that this individual that I worked with had trouble remembering simple instructions, and it gives me pause. This isn't as clear cut as I wish it was.

Football players make millions - this is true. Kam Chancellor forfeited more money in one day than I will earn in four years. That's a fact. But perhaps it will somehow prolong his cognitive life. We think these guys are merely living out their dreams, and most of them are. But it can't be easy. It can't be easy to know that you work in a profession that might literally make you mentally ill. It might shorten your life so much that when you're 50, you will forget where you are going when you back out of your driveway. You might be driving down the road, and you may forget how in the hell you're going to get home, because you forgot where you live. This is the reality of former players like Tony Dorsett, after all. It's pretty messed up when you really stop and think about it. These guys are spending such a small window of their lives doing something that we demand they love, but the repercussions of their careers are something that most of us can't even imagine.

And really, what the hell is money, anyway? The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business. I've been at the Clink with nearly 70,000 rabid 12's, and the money we pour into these Sunday afternoons is insane. But at the end of the day, there's 53 dudes that make it so. And then we get pissed at the ones who give pause to their chosen profession and want to make as much money as they can. It's a risk/reward thing, and the risk is paramount. Am I really going to get pissed at arguably our best and most important player on defense because a guy like Cary Williams makes more coin than him?

What's the going rate for a clear mind? What's the growing rate for seeing your grandchildren grow, and being able to actually know what is going on? I don't know the answer to that question, because I've never been there. I can reasonably expect that when I'm 50, I'm going to be alright.

So, the point of this whole post is to apologize to Kam Chancellor. I think my love for the Hawks has tarnished my basic tolerance for another human being to do what is best for him. Because at the end of the day, PC/JS are going to do what's best for the Seattle Seahawks. When Kam is 30 and loses a step or two, they're going to take a hard look at things like cap hits and whether or not Kam is an asset to this organization. Hell, I change my mind plenty of times during the week, and apparently Kam has changed his mind on his current contract. And who am I to judge that?

I'm sorry, Kam. The fact that you held out for 52 days and are the only current player in the league to have a hold out of this magnitude under the current CBA probably says something that we need to listen to. No longer will I believe your holdout was an attempt to hurt my team, the players you battle with, or the fans. Your holdout was about you, and most likely you weighing the risk versus reward in this game. The former NFL player I worked with whose body was completely done with at a mere 43 years old is a pretty fresh reminder that this game is an unforgiving, cold piece, and you have to get yours while you can, because this team, as well as the fans, will spit you out as soon as you cease to be a productive piece of what happens on the field. That's a sad reality.

I apologize for questioning your intelligence. You were just looking out for you. I believe you when you said that watching this team drop two games hurt you. And I believe you when you say that you're simply ready to play football and help this team be what it can be. But believe me when I say that I don't fault your holdout, nor do I fault your desire to put more guaranteed money in your pocket.

Welcome back 31, and I am truly sorry. I know you don't need nor want my apology, because I turned on you. But I messed up.

Welcome back, 31.

The lack of intelligence regards the fact that he thought his actions were actually going to create a change in his contract.

I enjoyed your post, and you make some good points, however the fact that he thought he somehow had enough leverage to actually bilk even more money out of the FO was utterly absurd.

Glad he came to his senses and realized the truth.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Was he trying to "bilk" more money, or just move money he was going to make further up in his contract? And if that is the case, think about why. I think Rob's post hits on the central theme of Kam's holdout, atleast in my speculation. There is a significant health risk to playing this game, and perhaps Kam's health is in great question at this time. He is trying to protect that money 3 years from now because perhaps he sees a significant chance he won't be around to earn it.

Kam's process was flawed. But I appreciate Rob's post bringing more light to the circumstances that surround the financial decisions football players make.

AVL

Reaction score
I think Kam is suffering from head trauma and we are all in denial.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I don't really think it's necessary for me to apologize for having an apposing viewpoint to Kam's actions. I also don't think Kam owes me or any fan a single damn thing in return. I'm just glad he's back. I really didn't think it was going to happen. Can't wait until Sunday. I have missed the Clink in a bad way. I will always cheer for our Hawks. It would be petty to do anything else.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Poppycock. Rob, it sounds like you are either in law enforcement or a hose dragger. So I hear ya when you talk about leaving the house and not being sure you will return. However, Kam is due to make over 4 million dollars this year. At my current rate of pay it would take me 57 years to earn that amount of money. Kam is not required to wear a bullet proof vest to work every day, I am.

If you gave me 4 million dollars right now I can guarantee I would never have to work another day of my life and I would live very comfortably. Who's fault is it that many of these guys can't manage their money and make it last a lifetime? He should easily be able to play out this contract and never paly again with he and all of his descendants being set for life. 4+ million for this year not enough..BS.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
With todays knowledge of the aftereffects of football on ones life I think players are also choosing not playing as long (see 49ers). This also shortens there earning window. What makes all this difficult is it is a business we all view with much emotion. The two generally don't mix well.

I thought this quote from Cool Hand Luke is appropriate for some reason.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men."

iigakusei

Reaction score
Of course this holdout was only about Kam and nobody else. Did you ever think any different? And the cute story of him coming back because of seeing the team lose without him - cmon. It is about money now, it was about money then - nothing more or less.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'll wear his jersey as always, because I don't give a rip what anything thinks about what I wear.
However, I will never agree with what he did, and I certainly don't need his "forgiveness"
Just play ball, time to move on and get this thing rolling. Apologize to Kam? Um, no.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
ROB12- seriously, thank you for your service. However, with that said, you owe Cam no apology, note HE did not apologize to you/us. The man is self centered, and stupid, but we love to watch him play, that is a fact, and the ONLY fact.

Again, many of us that served in other areas (war) salute you and thank you for your service.

GO HAWKS

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Rob, I really appreciate your openness and honesty. People don't often admit they changed the way they think, let alone admit they were wrong about something, especially in as much soul-revealing detail as you did. Kudos.

But I don't agree with some of your reasoning regarding Kam's reasoning.

I get it about the health issues, I really do. I'm a retired Marine, and that lifestyle took a toll on my body. I got to the point where it was no longer possible for me to do the things the Marine Corps requires a person to do. And it wasn't because I was shot, or near an explosion, or anything like that, it was simply the accumulated effect of intense physical activity over time. Most of the things I still can do involve pain, things average people take for granted, like standing and walking, and even sitting.

If Kam was contemplating leaving the game entirely, making the same decision Chris Borland did, I would completely agree with you about why Kam held out. But from what I could tell from the things that were reported to be said over the course of the holdout (much of which I don't trust), Kam's main objective was to move a significant chunk of his contract money from 2017 to 2016. His goal was to be able to get a new contract when he is 29 instead of when he is 30.

I get wanting more money, period. I get wanting more money as compensation for the pounding an NFL player takes. And I get how a player could look forward to future health concerns and contemplate leaving the game because of those concerns. But in Kam's case, that last one doesn't seem to apply.

Which means that money, not health, was the primary factor in his decision to hold out. Given the circumstances, his holdout seemed destined to fail. So Kam, making the "best" decision for himself, made a bad decision.

Kam is not a stupid guy, but he did a stupid thing. I don't hate him, I'm not mad at him, he just did a stupid thing. He is not a traitor or a bad person, he just did a stupid thing.

I have done a lot of stupid things in my life, still do sometimes. I deal with the consequences and hopefully learn from them. And sometimes, when appropriate and necessary, people forgive me.

All I want for Kam right now is to learn from his mistake, forgive those whom he needs to forgive, be forgiven by those who need to forgive him, and move forward. (Moving forward means not getting injured, playing at a high level, elevating the play of those around him, and knocking the stuffing out of opposing players.)

Welcome back, Kam.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Sign37now":17g87vsx said:
Poppycock. Rob, it sounds like you are either in law enforcement or a hose dragger. So I hear ya when you talk about leaving the house and not being sure you will return. However, Kam is due to make over 4 million dollars this year. At my current rate of pay it would take me 57 years to earn that amount of money. Kam is not required to wear a bullet proof vest to work every day, I am.

If you gave me 4 million dollars right now I can guarantee I would never have to work another day of my life and I would live very comfortably. Who's fault is it that many of these guys can't manage their money and make it last a lifetime? He should easily be able to play out this contract and never paly again with he and all of his descendants being set for life. 4+ million for this year not enough..BS.

I respect what you do for a living, I really do and thank you.

You're missing or leaving an important piece of the OP though. The cognative/physical effects of an NFL career. I will also add a career like #31. The way he turns that 6' 3" 230 lb body into the ultimate killing machine. He is giving in say, 5 years a huge chunk of his future health. I know a lot of people are saying "well, he chose this". That's the easy response . We're all shits and giggles as long as these players stay silent, hit the field and most importantly win.

I have a similar story about a gentleman I worked with when I was going to school in southern California 25 years ago at a freight company. He played in the CFL and NFL with the Denver Broncos for 5 years or so.Nice guy, I enjoyed talking to him . But he had a very bad temper and would absolutely lose it over trivial things. Looking back after what
has become much more front and center , I think he was suffering from post concussion syndrome.

His hip was going out as well . He was in his early thirties.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2n1hcagz said:
Was he trying to "bilk" more money, or just move money he was going to make further up in his contract? And if that is the case, think about why. I think Rob's post hits on the central theme of Kam's holdout, atleast in my speculation. There is a significant health risk to playing this game, and perhaps Kam's health is in great question at this time. He is trying to protect that money 3 years from now because perhaps he sees a significant chance he won't be around to earn it.

Kam's process was flawed. But I appreciate Rob's post bringing more light to the circumstances that surround the financial decisions football players make.
You know the one guy I remember whose path Kam unfortunately might follow is that of Joey Browner, another hard-hitting safety. They always said he had the strongest handshake in the league and he was a bull on the field. But when he was done, he was done rapidly and he quickly disappeared.
I remember being disappointed in him for how quickly his game dissipated, but with the new light being shed on concussions, I realize now that his body was likely shutting down to that constant abuse. I wonder how he's doing today?
Tales such as these and the one the OP shared is obviously the reason why Kam staged a holdout to get his 2017 money up front. He probably wants to retire after the 2016 season and was looking to pad his retirement fund.
I get it to an extent. But he chose the profession he is in and the risks that go along with it. Maybe when he was younger, he didn't think about his future as much, but now that he's been paid handsomely and is aware if the dangers, it's interesting that he doesn't suddenly retire right now like those 49ers. He should be set for life, and if he isn't, shame on him. Rather, that fruit of millions dangles in front of him still and he just can't resist reaching for it. I don't blame him there. As someone who inflicts, rather than absorbs the impact of the hit in most cases, Kam probably feels he can last a few more years. He's in great shape and his self-preserving reactionary skills to keep him out of danger's way is still sound. But I bet once the telling signs unveil to him that his body is losing its survival instincts, he's gone.