The New Russell Wilson?

Jville

Reaction score
RWavgtimetothrow
The above chart shows the average time it has taken Wilson to either throw, scramble past the line of scrimmage or get sacked. I have hammered him on this number for his first three years. The best quarterbacks in the NFL, the experienced quarterbacks in the NFL, are at the opposite end of this stat than Wilson has been. He literally has been the worst in football at putting his line in a tough position to block for the longest time and the worst at getting rid of the ball on time within the framework of the offense.

He has made significant strides here, and is now in the middle of the pack through two games.

Link to more analysis in a most interesting article >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/09/the-new-russell-wilson.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HawkBlogger+%28Hawk+Blogger%29[/urltargetblank]

Cartire

Reaction score
Jville":28ia1i2i said:
RWavgtimetothrow
The above chart shows the average time it has taken Wilson to either throw, scramble past the line of scrimmage or get sacked. I have hammered him on this number for his first three years. The best quarterbacks in the NFL, the experienced quarterbacks in the NFL, are at the opposite end of this stat than Wilson has been. He literally has been the worst in football at putting his line in a tough position to block for the longest time and the worst at getting rid of the ball on time within the framework of the offense.

He has made significant strides here, and is now in the middle of the pack through two games.

Link to more analysis in a most interesting article >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/09/the-new-russell-wilson.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HawkBlogger+%28Hawk+Blogger%29[/urltargetblank]

2 Game sample size. I hope this is the case (as long as the results remain high), but Im not ready to analyze trends only after 2 road games.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think this is more of a combo of our bad O-line and teams scheming REALLY well against Russell and Marshawn.........than Russell doing anything different.

RussB

Reaction score
Wilson is actually at his best when he extends plays and holds on to the ball. but sometimes he holds on too long like you stated

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":eyfj4dx0 said:
I think this is more of a combo of our bad O-line and teams scheming REALLY well against Russell and Marshawn.........than Russell doing anything different.

The sample size is noteworthy. But it's worth considering that he's passing about 45-50% more attempts per game in this two game stretch.

I've maintained that Seattle is going to need Russell to take that next step if this offense is to evolve and maintain efficiency going forward. His cap number, Lynch's decline and the continued investment in receiver weapons at the expense of other positions all point to Seattle's offense becoming reliant on Wilson's progress from an effective QB to a more standard QB.

Regardless of quality of OL play, Wilson needed to improve the speed at which he delivers the ball. It's more of a function of being more in command of what he's seeing and his continued improvement in delivering passes to guys that aren't just ridiculously wide open. Fitting quality passes into relatively tight windows that are typical of 'NFL open' situations. To me it's a function of understanding and accuracy that is the trademark of all of the top tier QBs in this league.

I'm interested in continuing to see this evolve. Because I do think it's a good indicator that Wilson is capable of shouldering the added load that this roster is beginning to demand.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":t9j4et1d said:
Sgt. Largent":t9j4et1d said:

The sample size is noteworthy. But it's worth considering that he's passing about 45-50% more attempts per game in this two game stretch.

That's because we've been behind.

But I agree with your other sentiment, I'd love to see us go up tempo more and throw it around to get those defenders tired and out oft the box. Rather than wait until we're behind in the 2nd half to stop just trying to hammer Marshawn up the middle over and over with little success.

Pete, for all that's good about him, is a very stubborn coach when it comes to scheme. He always says "we don't worry about what other teams are doing, just what we're doing." Well that's fine, but you have to know when the offensive scheme isn't working earlier than the 3rd quarter.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The top QBs in the league have already gotten rid of the ball half second prior to 2.8 seconds. Russell has had PLENTY of time to throw the damn ball and he is hesitating in doing so.

CalboHawk

Reaction score
The new Russell Wilson has become very lazy at selling play-action and isn't nearly as sharp with his hand-offs. Small sample size, but his TD/INT ratio doesn't look good and his YPA also continues to drop. Not sure what to make of it, but he hasn't looked good since the end of last season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CalboHawk":22zq6f2a said:
The new Russell Wilson has become very lazy at selling play-action and isn't nearly as sharp with his hand-offs. Small sample size, but his TD/INT ratio doesn't look good and his YPA also continues to drop. Not sure what to make of it, but he hasn't looked good since the end of last season.

I blame Ciara.

12019900_1097453800278723_3553656848686850407_n.jpg

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pq0mfha said:
CalboHawk":3pq0mfha said:

I blame Ciara.

12019900_1097453800278723_3553656848686850407_n.jpg

First pic... The shoes...

WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOOOOSE?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Throwdown":1ktoqlq0 said:

WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOOOOSE?

Not sure what pic is worse, the old man Tommy Bahama untucked shirt with white sneakers look..........or I'm going to a Matrix convention this weekend look.

Either way, Russell needs to Google the name Yoko Ono.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
You mean I'm doing something wrong with that first look? And I'm not even joking

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xqb9xlt said:
Throwdown":2xqb9xlt said:

WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOOOOSE?

Not sure what pic is worse, the old man Tommy Bahama untucked shirt with white sneakers look..........or I'm going to a Matrix convention this weekend look.

Either way, Russell needs to Google the name Yoko Ono.

And what's wrong with the 'old man Tommy Bahama untucked shirt with white sneakers look'? :les:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1pe4sh65 said:
You mean I'm doing something wrong with that first look? And I'm not even joking

If you're 55+, you're good.

If you're a 25 year old QB? Not so much.

kearly

Reaction score
Wilson started getting the ball out quicker about midway through last season and it's continued this year. The result has been a raise in completion percentage but a drop in YPA. Probably a drop in sack rate too.

It's a necessary evolution for Wilson. Now Wilson and Bevell must find a way to make big plays while holding the ball less.

The Matrix outfit for Wilson, I wonder if that shot was taken just after a music video shoot or something.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Anytime you see a chart with the Y-axis clipped your inner skepticism should be setting off alarm bells. Here's another way that chart could look.

Jddpv46

Now I probably wouldn't present it that way if I was trying to fit the data into some sort of agenda. People would correctly point out that that tiny dip at the end could easily just be the result of a tiny sample size of two road games including one against the Rams D-Line, and that if this exact same analysis was done after this Sunday the point could be above the line instead (and the entire argument reversed).

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
As we all know, Wilson played well in 2012 & 2013, but not in 2014. I expect him to take the next step this year and live up to his contract. I will be okay as long as he is progressing, not regressing. I am not impressed with Wilson throwing INT's lately. It's hard to overcome turnovers especially during the 4th quarter in a winnable game. It happened in the SB, Rams game, and the Packers game. Too early to make any judgments this season but this is the one thing that I will be focusing on. Winning the turnover battle is very important for Carroll so I am sure this will be fixed.

Anthony!

Reaction score
this thread gets a :pukeface:

If you need me to explain why you really do not understand how this team till this year has been run.