Five straight games with painfully bad 1st halves for the O

seabowl

Reaction score
This is now not a trend but an epidemic. Going back to the NFCCG we have absolutely sucked on O in the first half. Can we please figure out a way to put it together? I put all the blame on the coaching staff for not having them ready to play. No excuse for this.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I think we've sucked in the first half for even longer than that.

davidonmi

Reaction score
We did not suck in the first half of the Superbowl offensively

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm all for being a second half team but it seems like a minimum of first half competency would help a lot in these close games we seem to play in.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
davidonmi":tozvd8sm said:

Our first points were with 2:16 left in he first half. Yes we got another score but it took almost the entire half.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Wish we had the 2nd half offense all 4 quarters. I don't know if it is due to scripting or being conservative to not turn the ball over, but I don't like it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
If you saw the stats of 1st half's versus 2nd halfs of RUssell Wilson and Lynch, you will know.

In the first half when Russell tries to be a pocket passer, LYnch's average is about 2.
In the 2nd half when Russell rushes for yards, Lynchs average is over 5.

In other words, in the first half, when Seattle plays a 1 dimensional game, Defenses knowing Wilson will stay in the pocket will stack up against Lynch daring Russell to throw. In the 2nd half, Russell starts to run, since we are usually behind and defenders now have to guard against Wilson, the pass and as well as Lynch.

Basically our offense boils down to this:

1st half, Russell is pocket passing, Lynch gets crunched, we fall behind. 2nd half, Wilson starts running, Lynch gets Yards we pull out the win.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I bring the question of why we do not use the FB more? We look much better using one, today is a great example. No blocking TE, no use of blocking FB, weaker O line. I'm surprised we've been able to run at all.

davidonmi

Reaction score
seabowl":3eqzx1sy said:
davidonmi":3eqzx1sy said:

Our first points were with 2:16 left in he first half. Yes we got another score but it took almost the entire half.
so we had a bad first 28 minutes then :D
you take a 14 point half against Belicheck anytime

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bobblehead":6r3c1k2s said:
If you saw the stats of 1st half's versus 2nd halfs of RUssell Wilson and Lynch, you will know.

In the first half when Russell tries to be a pocket passer, LYnch's average is about 2.
In the 2nd half when Russell rushes for yards, Lynchs average is over 5.

In other words, in the first half, when Seattle plays a 1 dimensional game, Defenses knowing Wilson will stay in the pocket will stack up against Lynch daring Russell to throw. In the 2nd half, Russell starts to run, since we are usually behind and defenders now have to guard against Wilson, the pass and as well as Lynch.

Basically our offense boils down to this:

1st half, Russell is pocket passing, Lynch gets crunched, we fall behind. 2nd half, Wilson starts running, Lynch gets Yards we pull out the win.

A lot of that is due to the scripted plays bevel insists on using.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
With all these QBs around the league going down. I would just be happy with better protection for a whole game. Wilson looked shook up a couple times to me today.

peppersjap

Reaction score
This is the way we have started the season every year since we have had Wilson, they will come together and definitely started showing it in the 2nd half today. They do need to play better against the Lions and Golden Tate who will be coming in with an attitude, Kam will probably need to give him an attitude adjustment.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
The blame falls on Bevell for his idiotic stupid scripted plays, of which a failed bubble screen is guaranteed to be part of.

The rest of the blame falls on Pete for allowing Bevell to breathe oxygen.

I dont think Pete has the balls to get rid of Bevell, no matter how awful he is. Pete was probably hoping some team would hire Bevell away so he wouldn't have to fire him. But after the worst play in NFL history no team wants anything to do with him.

It is frustrating because when an OC has repeatedly failed and no other team wants him, 99% of coaches/gms /presidents would remove him from the team within 1 year. Bevell needed to go 3 years ago.

When looking back at the Hawks, the biggest "what if" will be what if we had an OC who was at least AVERAGE.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I watched this game with a couple of Giants fans, a good friend of mine and his brother. It was actually interesting to watch the game with fans of another team not hating on my team. They had plenty of comments, and I appreciated getting other fans' perspective. One of the things I brought up is that the Hawks tend to be a "2nd Half Team". They countered and said "That's better than being a 1st Half Team like the Giants. Pete Carroll is great at making halftime adjustments."

I did share the general frustration among what seems to be most Seahawks fans today with the OC. Once they got that ammo, the comments were flying about the play calling. Lol. "Oh, we need a first down... Let's run the play that didn't work several times before." (Uncontrollable laughter ensued when the play didn't work yet again.) They made me laugh and I think that was their way of identifying with us. Good guys.

Edit: Maybe PC should make the ultimate "1st half adjustment" and relieve Bevell of his play calling duties until after halftime.