What does Bevell see in the bubbles?

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
I, along with the rest of you, just don get why we run them so incessantly. They don't work. Ever. And of course they aren't "trick" plays per se, but they are in a sense kind of gimmicky and should only be used when catching the defense off guard for a quick hitter. Using them all the damn time takes away that ability.

hawk45

Reaction score
I agree using them incessantly is questionable but I only recall one today in the first half when nothing was working. I LOLed, but I didn't really hate it that much for one play.

Erebus

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with bubbles. I have a problem with the personnel Bevell uses. Lockett seems much more suited for it than Kearse.

OP
OP
S

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1erwkx6z said:
Wasn't there only one run today?

Yes only one time that I can think of. I'm just replaying the game in my head and thought about it and that it was a terrible situation to call it.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Bubble screens aren't necessarily bad. Teams such as the Patriots, Broncos, Saints, etc run these plays on a regular basis. The main issue is the execution, I haven't compared the play designs of those teams bubble screens to ours, when I do I'll make sure to comment on it.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
You mean the one to Kearse, of all the guy to use it on we have Kearse.....why not Lockett

OP
OP
S

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":dtpero3a said:
You mean the one to Kearse, of all the guy to use it on we have Kearse.....why not Lockett

Exactly. The guy that needed 6 inches of YAC with plenty of space for a first down and couldn't get it.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1cws22sc said:
theincrediblesok":1cws22sc said:

Exactly. The guy that needed 6 inches of YAC with plenty of space for a first down and couldn't get it.

I was pissed cause he had it and went backwards for whatever reason, why not just get in and get the first and go on to the next play.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":9lwmwkiz said:
Seanhawk":9lwmwkiz said:

Yes only one time that I can think of. I'm just replaying the game in my head and thought about it and that it was a terrible situation to call it.

OK then, by incessantly and "using them all the damn time" you actually mean once a game. Got it.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
jdemps":j68rwkap said:
Erebus":j68rwkap said:
I don't have a problem with bubbles. I have a problem with the personnel Bevell uses. Lockett seems much more suited for it than Kearse.

Screen work best if the receiver can make someone miss. That's Lockett's forte. Not Kearse's.

B-I-N-G-O B-I-N-G-O B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-o

OP
OP
S

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Seanhawk":5nxnd3mk said:
SeaToTheHawks":5nxnd3mk said:
Seanhawk":5nxnd3mk said:

OK then, by incessantly and "using them all the damn time" you actually mean once a game. Got it.

Don't try and pretend that we don't normally use it way more than that. So take that condescending bs elsewhere.

chris98251

Reaction score
Screens work when the receiver or back doesn't have to wait for the ball, hit them in stride, if they have to wait then the defense has three steps and our receiver isn't going to get started.

That or have the blocking wall far enough away so that when he catches it he has room to make people miss not have them on top of him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1rx15ps8 said:
I, along with the rest of you, just don get why we run them so incessantly. They don't work. Ever. And of course they aren't "trick" plays per se, but they are in a sense kind of gimmicky and should only be used when catching the defense off guard for a quick hitter. Using them all the damn time takes away that ability.
It's like a little kid and his "blankey".....
He needs to be a big boy and donate the bubble screen to goodwill. 8)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3bkabaza said:
Yes only one, but he had 8 last week when I stopped counting.
For a play that never works 9 in 2 weeks is way too much.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":372vwlic said:
Screens work when the receiver or back doesn't have to wait for the ball, hit them in stride, if they have to wait then the defense has three steps and our receiver isn't going to get started.

That or have the blocking wall far enough away so that when he catches it he has room to make people miss not have them on top of him.
bingo!

I have no problems with screens I just hate the bubble screens for the reasons you mentioned.
In fact one of my favorite plays is the misdirection backside screen that they run to Beastmode that is usually good for 20-30 yards.

BASF

Reaction score
A big reason for using this play is to see how the defense aligns for the formation and how they attack it. Seeing the DB attack the perspective receiver as soon as the ball is snapped sets up shots down the field off of this formation. There have been several instances over the past few seasons where we use this formation to get a TE open down the seam immediately since the defense is biting up so hard on the screen. We have also used this formation to get one of the receivers who would be blocking, open down the red line almost immediately. The problem is that Bevell uses variations sparingly to the point of driving most of us mad.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This team has spent a lot of time thinking about this play, why we run it, how it affects an opposing defense, and what it reveals about how a defense is playing you.

I think it would be good for people to think about the reasons why this play might be useful rather than assume complete idiocy of not only the OC, but Russell, Pete, and everyone from this huge staff who gives input on the offense. You think we would run it if the entire room said it was pointless?

When a RB gets stuffed for no gain on a run, that play isn't necessarily useless. You get info, you get players to react differently, and you put thoughts into their head. Later on, you can run a counter off the same formation that gets you a huge gain downfield. They've done this with the bubble screen, but it goes unnoticed unless you're paying attention.