O line grade today

What grade would you give the O line today?

• A

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • B

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • C

Votes: 44 45.8%
  • D

Votes: 27 28.1%
  • F

Votes: 12 12.5%

• Total voters

hawk45

Reaction score
Gave them a generous C. Sucked in the first half, in the second half had some decent pass pro and on Rawls first run I think they sealed the hell out of the left side. Was pretty nice. And rushing looked nice especially out of the I.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Worked through the game. Need to watch later and will give my useless opinion.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd need to watch again, but it didn't look like many of the sacks taken were directly on the OL. Not many plays where Russell was sacked in 3 seconds or less by an OL mistake. Wilson also took some sacks he shouldn't have.

Run blocking looked really good, but hard to tell how much that matters given the quality of opponent and the fact that the bears were selling out to get to the QB. All three of our RBs looked good in this game. Was shocked to see Lynch only had 2.8 YPC, he looked good.

I said B.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":9ifx33z0 said:
I'd need to watch again, but it didn't look like many of the sacks taken were directly on the OL. Not many plays where Russell was sacked in 3 seconds or less by an OL mistake. Wilson also took some sacks he shouldn't have.

Run blocking looked really good, but hard to tell how much that matters given the quality of opponent and the fact that the bears were selling out to get to the QB. All three of our RBs looked good in this game. Was shocked to see Lynch only had 2.8 YPC, he looked good.

I said B.

Hammy and calf, that would effect his ability to juke, accelerate and power run, his steps would be short and with pain to extend his stride or power thru anything.

OrFan

Reaction score
Rawls made the line look better than they really are. He is explosive.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Looking like a good idea not to lock up Sweezy this offseason. Contract year hasn't started particularly well for him. Some tough opening assignments but saw him struggle again today and got beat badly a couple of times.

Overall again it looked like a case of one man making a mistake and the whole line gets the blame. Look forward to watching this one again to see how our guys did. Didn't notice Gilliam too much; which is normally a good thing.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2txtq6jv said:
Looking like a good idea not to lock up Sweezy this offseason. Contract year hasn't started particularly well for him. Some tough opening assignments but saw him struggle again today and got beat badly a couple of times.

Overall again it looked like a case of one man making a mistake and the whole line gets the blame. Look forward to watching this one again to see how our guys did. Didn't notice Gilliam too much; which is normally a good thing.

Sweezy had his share of struggles, in the run game and allowed a sack on the opening drive. Gilliam allowed a couple pressures, including a sack. Britt struggled a lot with multiple pressures, whiffs in the run game, and a couple penalties. Okung had his usual game with a penalty. Nowak was pretty solid once again.

I don't see the team extending an offer to Sweezy. Glowinski is a cheaper alternative that is already in the pipeline. He may prove to be more consistent than Sweezy in the longterm. If they don't re-sign Okung, then things get interesting. There is no ready alternative for Okung, meaning Bailey ends up starting, which would be a disaster.

Overall, I would give the line a C+, a passing grade in which Russell had plenty of time to throw the ball for much of the game and they paved the way for Thomas Rawls to rush for over one hundred yards. But there was some sloppiness offsetting the positive moments: four sacks allowed, some whiffed run blocks, and several penalties.

peppersjap

Reaction score
The offensive line is a work in progress and they are improving. Those holes Rawls was running through were not created by Rawls, they were huge and not created by Rawls running alone. Some of the sacks on Wilson could be avoided by him throwing the ball away but he is always trying to make a play which is not a bad thing but makes the line look worse.

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem and it will continue as long as we play musical chairs there is that a o line works like a glove, all 5 have to be on the same page and know how each other is going to handle a blocking assignment and who is going to handoff their guy etc. These guys have been flipped and swapped around and don't know each other and what they are going to do on a given situation. When one doesn't read a situation correctly it makes everything ugly.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I'd say D+ or C-. They were still way below average in pass blocking (plus the TE's gave the O-line NO HELP), and average in run blocking with a few glimpses of what "could be" good or great in the run blocking department. This O-line is still a long ways away from getting an A, B, or even a high C grade but I can see progress from week 1 so I'm hoping by week 10 this will be a above average part of the team if nothing else this season.

marko358

Reaction score
When you score one offensive TD and give up 4 sacks and 10 QB hits to the sackless Bears you get an F in my book.

D minus in the 2nd half.