Well, I never saw this coming

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The way this place used to work, year in, year out, was best described as a roller coaster. We lose, doom and gloom, this team sucks yet again. They win, OMGZ this is the best team EVAH!!!!!

I knew winning a Super Bowl would forever change this place. But I've got to tell you, I never saw THIS coming. That coming off back to back Super Bowls, we'd be in full gloom and doom phase even after clamping down on the Bears 26-0 on Kam Chancellor's return.

I used to hate the annual rollercoaster ride around here. mostly the crazy fanboys grasping at any shred of hope. But now it's the opposite. The doom and gloom sayers run the joint.

This team is fine. This team is going to the playoffs. This team is not perfect. This team is a hella lotta fun to watch. Savor these years. They're the golden ones.

chris98251

Reaction score
Could be seeing a good team has educated fans as well, when you see a phase that needs work you recognize that it has issues and will be exploited if not fixed.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":5ctduf3z said:
Could be seeing a good team has educated fans as well, when you see a phase that needs work you recognize that it has issues and will be exploited if not fixed.
I have no problem with that. It's the hyperbole that bothers me. The constant "We'll never win in the playoffs if we don't fix [insert pet peeve team need]." The playoffs are 3 months away yet. Discuss the problems, yes, but how about being a bit rational and considering that the guys that make the big bucks see them too and the coaches and players wil work on them.

My post from another thread:

We've had three consecutive years now where the team got off to slow starts, in games and in the season. But lo and behold, come December we were playing not just for a playoff spot, but playoff seeding. Three straight playoff appearances, two SB appearances, one win, and another trip to the divisional round that we very nearly pulled off a win in. Three straight years we've come out in September complaining how the offense sucks, the o-line will doom us, this or that player bites balls and shouldn't have survived pre-season, yada yada yada.

If the D can force a team to punt on 10 consecutive possessions, somehow I think I can live with a 'slow starting' offense. I have no reason to believe we won't be playing for playoff seeding come this November, again, and doing pretty well as we do.

I suspect we are the best 1-2 team in the NFL, and better than most of the 2-1 teams, too. Yes, we have to play better and I'm confident we will. That's what this team does. It improves, slowly and steadily, until we are the best team playing in December and January. That's what we have been doing and I expect that to continue.

This will most likely be my last post in this thread. Don't want to override the :229031_chillpill: I took. :)

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
You realise that in days past, the standard for the team was to make the playoffs. Perennially 8-8, we clung desperately to the hope of going 9-7 and washing out in the first round.

Times have changed. Now, the standard is a Super Bowl appearance, if not in fact a Super Bowl win. For many of us, that means we need the road to the playoffs to go through Seattle, because we have not traditionally been an impressive road team.

When we drop the first two games of the year, particularly when one is to a front-runner and both were to conference teams, we've done ourselves no favours with regard to tie-breakers. We're staring down the idea of Green Bay in January.

But note that the expectation in that doom and gloom is that we make the playoffs at the very least.

What is doom and gloom to the hopeless? No different than they already have. We've been there. Too good to get draft position, too sucky to make the playoffs, year in and year out. We ramped up our hope in September, but few of us actually believed the team would be hoisting the Lombardi.

What is doom and gloom now would have been nirvana back then. We'd kill to have lost to a front-runner by only 10 points.

It's a matter of perspective, and standards. The current standard is Super Bowl, and that's a pretty damn high mark to achieve. But anything less, and yes you will hear people complaining, because performance would not meet expectation.

This is why the Broncos fire Fox after a 12-4 season while Jeff Fisher is still around after 3 losing seasons with the Rams. Expectations for the Broncos were winning a Super Bowl. For the Rams success is remembering to pack the towels when they head back to L.A.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":18mim3gj said:
The way this place used to work, year in, year out, was best described as a roller coaster. We lose, doom and gloom, this team sucks yet again. They win, OMGZ this is the best team EVAH!!!!!

I knew winning a Super Bowl would forever change this place. But I've got to tell you, I never saw THIS coming. That coming off back to back Super Bowls, we'd be in full gloom and doom phase even after clamping down on the Bears 26-0 on Kam Chancellor's return.

I used to hate the annual rollercoaster ride around here. mostly the crazy fanboys grasping at any shred of hope. But now it's the opposite. The doom and gloom sayers run the joint.

This team is fine. This team is going to the playoffs. This team is not perfect. This team is a hella lotta fun to watch. Savor these years. They're the golden ones.

Yes it is pretty brutal, I just enjoy the wins and when they don't just remember it is just a game and life goes on. We have a great young team and all will be fine. Go Hawks!!

sutz

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":3l8fqr5r said:
jonkchar":3l8fqr5r said:
Savor these years. They're the golden ones.
No, these are the golden years of this franchise. The good old days are in progress.
I believe the saying is:

These are the good old days we'll be looking back on in 20 years.

We are certainly in the middle of the best years in Seahawks history. Nobody can deny that, regardless of the outcome of any single game, or two game stretch. Current recent history tells me we come out of the initial "funk" of the first two games of this season and revisit the kind of success we've become accustomed to under Pete & Co.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Perhaps it's more nuanced than doom-and-gloom vs fanboy? Maybe there are things to like and be hopeful about and some things to dislike which are worrisome.

What's with the evaluation of the fans all the time anyway? Aren't we supposed to be talking about the team? It seems like half the posts on this board are about fan reaction and not team performance. Presumably we are here to talk about football. Surprise: different people will see things differently. Let's focus on the merits of their arguments not the quality of their fandom. If they have signed up to discuss football on .NET, trust me, they are Seahawks/football fans.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I never saw people complaining about how this place is..... oh wait..... :34853_doh:

edogg23

Reaction score
We complain because we know we have the most players in the NFL top 100 and we know we have a good team, so it results in overwhelming frustration when they play so sloppy.

Schadie001

Reaction score
This isn't doom and gloom it is just high expectations. When you have a team such as our Hawks who is now is in Wilson's 4th year in the same system (Same for a lot of guys) and a Defense that has arguably been the best in the league for at least the 2 prior years and pretty dang close to the best for the last 3. We bring back almost every single person on D and add a few. Bring in probably the best pass catching TE in the league, throw in back to back SB and I'd say as a fan base we expect a lot at this point.

Yes, we won, but going into that bears game last night I for one thought we were going to absolutely destroy them. The way Arizona DESTROYED the Niners. But instead we fall into the same troubled Red Zone struggles we have seen for at least 4 years now, for the love of God can we score a dam TD in Red Zone. Why would you not run a quick slant to Graham, there is no one in the league that is going to run through that guy. Yes, we did the jump ball that he really didn't jump for, and Wilson threw a terrible pass to Mathews the next play. But come the F on. We have to be better than this. Then our Defense looked good but no one is saying today that we laid waist to them. We basically played a completely one dimensional team who had no chance of hurting you in the passing game. There was no way the bears should have rushed for almost 100 yards in this game. They had more first downs than we did in the first half only running the ball. I mean come on the Bears had more sacs than us in that game, with our DLine this should never happen. Yes, we won but I really think given who we played it was a pretty ugly win. The Bears were in the game coming out of half time. Thankfully we have played way better in the second half of games. If we would have played a good team we may have been in trouble coming out after halftime.

So, I for one am disappointed even in a win because I believe this team is WAY better then they are playing. Something really just does not feel right at this point. I certainly believe it can change on a dime, but they really need to get that destroyer mentality back and start bloodying some noses.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We talked about this last year...............with great expectations comes criticism.

This is a team that SHOULD be playing better than it is, thus we nitpick the things that the team's not doing well. Go hit the Patriot and Bronco fan boards, they're every bit as critical of their teams, even though they won.

I'm not worried, this seems to be how our seasons go. We were 3-3 last year and everyone was freaking out, but Pete Carroll Hawk teams get better and better as the season goes along, so we should be just fine a couple months from now barring injury.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't know if it is gloom.

I think people don't know what to think, but in a way, I think they do.

The good news is that we did OK vs the Bears. The bad is that we don't know what that means, because a team without a QB is understandably awful. So how much was them being stopped vs stopping themselves?

Even still, the team looks noticeably better and people have to remember that even in that SB run, when this was a clearly dominant team - we were getting handled by the Texans, a Titans team without a QB almost beat us, and the same for a hapless Bucs team. People just remember the good stuff and forget some of the dirt.

Regardless, this is not a terrible team - and I do not think that anyone thinks that. I think people are just reconciling from their lofty 2-3 loss projections for this team to more reasonable expectations.

Also, one of the losses is to STL, who looks like crap. Last year, you could excuse it because of that mess that hit before the STL game. This year it was the first game, but it does not inspire any confidence to lose that game - the Steelers just beat them with only their QB for half a game. They are terrible, so losing to them is going to require a few good games against good teams to offset. Beating the Bears is not going to count.

What will count is to show in several games that the defense is either back or the offense can be consistent and effective (even against the Bears the offense looked like crap until the 2nd half).

So are those going to be the only 2 losses? With this offense? Not likely. So if you were expecting a 2 loss year, then I suspect your illusion is shot. But with the defense getting better, Kam back in the fold (needing a few games to get up to speed) and guys like Lockett and Graham contributing more - this is still going to be a very good team.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2xngvtfe said:
Even still, the team looks noticeably better and people have to remember that even in that SB run, when this was a clearly dominant team.

That didn't happen.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":mc7fr3jd said:
You realise that in days past, the standard for the team was to make the playoffs. Perennially 8-8, we clung desperately to the hope of going 9-7 and washing out in the first round.

Times have changed. Now, the standard is a Super Bowl appearance, if not in fact a Super Bowl win. For many of us, that means we need the road to the playoffs to go through Seattle, because we have not traditionally been an impressive road team.

When we drop the first two games of the year, particularly when one is to a front-runner and both were to conference teams, we've done ourselves no favours with regard to tie-breakers. We're staring down the idea of Green Bay in January.

But note that the expectation in that doom and gloom is that we make the playoffs at the very least.

What is doom and gloom to the hopeless? No different than they already have. We've been there. Too good to get draft position, too sucky to make the playoffs, year in and year out. We ramped up our hope in September, but few of us actually believed the team would be hoisting the Lombardi.

What is doom and gloom now would have been nirvana back then. We'd kill to have lost to a front-runner by only 10 points.

It's a matter of perspective, and standards. The current standard is Super Bowl, and that's a pretty damn high mark to achieve. But anything less, and yes you will hear people complaining, because performance would not meet expectation.

This is why the Broncos fire Fox after a 12-4 season while Jeff Fisher is still around after 3 losing seasons with the Rams. Expectations for the Broncos were winning a Super Bowl. For the Rams success is remembering to pack the towels when they head back to L.A.
Well those are patently absurd expectations. If that's the case, that we experience doom and gloom simply because we've set the bar at Super Bowl victory instead of playoffs, then those people are stupidly unrealistic. Winning a Super Bowl - even appearing in one - is a rarity.

Making the playoffs should be our only focus. Are we a playoff team? If so, then we have a fun season ahead of us. Because the playoffs are a crap shoot. Getting into the crap shoot is what the regular season is about.

Don't lose sight of that.