Graham at rec?

keatonisballin

Reaction score
He's been in the slot some and out wide a couple times that I can remember? I think it's time we snag a blocking TE off of someone's practice squad, cut Helfet and start using Jimmy more as a receiver and less as a blocker.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I recall seeing him spit out, in the slot, and inline.

None of the WR are ever exclusively placed in a single role. They get moved around. Even Lynch gets spit out wide on occasion.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The situation is probably a lot more complicated than the writer understands. Just getting production out of him at te like they did in the Chi game is a big step towards a dominating Seahawks offense. GO HAWKS!

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I don't mind him playing in line. I have a problem with him blocking DEs 1 on 1. Double team a DE with Gilliam, fine. Set the edge on a LBer on an outside stretch, good. Split him wide, stretch the field, and have him hammer a CB or Safety, perfect.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Great article that summarizes a point many have been making on this board for the last several months. Basically, since we acquired Graham, it was assumed that he would be a more natural fit at Split End or in the slot . . . but that Bevell's in-the-box thinking would leave him as an in-line TE, forcing Graham to waste his energies blocking defensive linemen and limiting the kind of success he could have getting open to the outside -- where Russell is more apt to throw him the ball.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Graham at rec also opens up the running game because of the defender that has to cover him.

kf3339

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":rl3u733j said:
Graham at rec also opens up the running game because of the defender that has to cover him.

I think you might mean "Defender's" since I don't believe many teams have a single guy who could truly cover him. But you're right that would really help the run game a lot!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It should also be mentioned that if the guy has to constantly slam into a DE and break free - it wears him down. That shows up later in the game.

The more important issue is, it is stupid. He doesn't block. Forcing him to do it just screws both the player and the team. He also doesn't kick field goals. If we trotted him out there because we need him to try just to make sure the other team people don't know what we are doing - people would set Bevell on fire.

Asking him to block is asking him to perform a task he is notoriously weak at, and even when successful is usually barely adequate. Instead of dwelling on his weakness, we should be looking to take advantage of his strengths.

Yet another filing under the topic "Why I consider Bevell an idiot that is squandering the resources he has to work with".

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
I kind of wonder how often we actually run toward Jimmy's side of the line. Would make sense to run away from his terrible blocks, but would also give a tell to the defense in obvious running downs which direction the ball is going, hurting the running game even more.

netskier

Reaction score
Blocking defensive lineman can get you hurt. I would prefer him to take his chances getting hurt as an outside receiver, exactly as the patriots are increasingly doing with Gronk.

Putting Graham out wide almost forces defenders to cover him with two defenders. This is one more than as a blocking tight end. Occupying two defenders as a wide receiver occupies more of the defense than ANY tight end can do.

Tical21

Reaction score
We have no idea how to take advantage of his mismatch out wide. It isn't like he's going to get a ton of separation there. His diversity in our offense is going to have to grow organically. We aren't going to be able to say "it worked in New Orleans, so it will work here." We're going to have to start from zero and keep growing, mastering the simple first then adding new features to it.

netskier

Reaction score
No idea? I think you and others here know how to use him. My suggestion to Bevell is to copy Gronk on the outside.

Graham can get vertical separation anywhere on the field just by jumping and "rebounding" passes thrown above the defenders.

Pulling two defenders wide away from the box just has to be good for the running game, and would lessen pressure on the offensive line. Repeat with Matthews on the other side to draw two more defenders from the box.

Now four defenders are occupied, leaving seven to defend our nine man running attack.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":6rc4uhpc said:

Yes very good point could see this Happening :th2thumbs:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yup!, it's like they have a sharp shooter with a 300 Winchester Mag. with a 3 to 9 Leopold scope, and they want to run down and bludgeon a deer to death with the butt end of the rifle. :lol:
Pull the damned trigger Bevell.

Fade

Reaction score
I liken what Bevell and the Seattle coaching staff are asking of Jimmy Graham. Is like asking Shaun Alexander to be Mack Strong. Bevell, Pete, Tom, whoever it is making these decisions to leave Jimmy inline to block DE's 1 on 1 is just showing the entire world we have no idea how to properly utilize offensive players. KYP.

Hugh & Holmgren were having a nice discussion on how to use Jimmy, and it made a lot of sense. Holmgren said he would come out in I formation with a fullback, and Jimmy in the slot. If the opponent were to stay in base you have a mismatch with a LB on Jimmy. If the opponent goes nickel you run it down there throat. Made sense to me.