Stupid what if question...

edogg23

Reaction score
As I watched Rawls look really good in week 3, while Wilson continued to run for his life I couldn't help but ask myself this questions.

What if the Seahawks had invested Lynch's 8.5 million dollar 2015 cap number into 2 quality offensive line free agents instead of resigning him? For example Stefen Wisniewski and Evan Mathis. Would this team be better off right now? I know this is sac religious for a seahawks fan to even wonder out loud but I couldn't help but wonder.

Now hopefully Lynch gets back on track and makes me look like an idiot for even bringing this up.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It's hard to know for sure, obviously. But if you look at teams that feature new faces on the O-line, they usually struggle right out of the gate until they gel. So up until this point, we might not have seen a better performance out of the O-line.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Prior to this season, he had 13.5 Million in Dead Money (8.5 is his cap number this year assuming he is on the team) left to be accounted for on his deal. You don't just get to spend that money.

Rawls was unproven and has only played one game. They drafted 3 O-Lineman. If they wanted either of those O-Lineman you suggested they could have signed them. They weren't that expensive.

At this point, no you wouldn't be better off.

massari

Reaction score
I'd rather the Hawks just not signed Cary Williams and Kearse.

Put that money towards the OL.

mikeak

Reaction score
massari":2b5l8qsj said:

+ 1 (Cary Williams neutral on Kearse)

shawnsim

Reaction score
Kearse is responsible for so many clutch plays and wins.
I don't get the sentiment that he is a castaway.
He has been huge for us the last 2 seasons.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Even if Marshawn ends up being subpar Marshawn this year, the fact that he is in the backfield still commands respect from defense. There is no way that the offensive line has an easier job without Marshawn back there. Imagine the season starting without Marshawn!?! It would completely change the Seahawks strategy.

Willyeye

Reaction score
massari":3sat7spc said:

I totally disagree. First off, Williams is learning a new system...he's been improving every week. Basically we traded Maxwell for Williams, and Williams is a lot less expensive. And Maxwell is doing horribly without Earl and Kam. Maxwell is ranked #97 out of 99 CB's by PFF. Give Williams a few more weeks to learn our system, and he will be doing much better than Maxwell did for the Hawks.

And Kearse has had an awesome year so far. Jermaine has caught 14 out of 18 targets...and according to PFF Signature Stats, only 14 of those 18 targets were catchable...he also hasn't had a drop this year.

You do realize that all the cap space the Hawks use on the #1 D is cap the FO saves on the O-Line. I'll take the #1 D anytime over a great O-Line...with Russell, it's simply not a priority.

massari

Reaction score
Willyeye":xbman98e said:
massari":xbman98e said:

I totally disagree. First off, Williams is learning a new system...he's been improving every week. Basically we traded Maxwell for Williams, and Williams is a lot less expensive. And Maxwell is doing horribly without Earl and Kam. Maxwell is ranked #97 out of 99 CB's by PFF. Give Williams a few more weeks to learn our system, and he will be doing much better than Maxwell did for the Hawks.

And Kearse has had an awesome year so far. Jermaine has caught 14 out of 18 targets...and according to PFF Signature Stats, only 14 of those 18 targets were catchable...he also hasn't had a drop this year.

You do realize that all the cap space the Hawks use on the #1 D is cap the FO saves on the O-Line. I'll take the #1 D anytime over a great O-Line...with Russell, it's simply not a priority.

I'm not saying Williams/Kearse suck, just that the money could've been better off used towards the OL. There were some good CB's that signed way cheaper contracts than Cary Williams this past off season.

strohmin

Reaction score
Just because we sign top O-linemen doesn't automatically mean they are going to pay off initially. O-line takes time to gel no matter how individually talented an O-linemen is.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
edogg23":1i4u5uav said:
As I watched Rawls look really good in week 3, while Wilson continued to run for his life I couldn't help but ask myself this questions.

What if the Seahawks had invested Lynch's 8.5 million dollar 2015 cap number into 2 quality offensive line free agents instead of resigning him? For example Stefen Wisniewski and Evan Mathis. Would this team be better off right now? I know this is sac religious for a seahawks fan to even wonder out loud but I couldn't help but wonder.

Now hopefully Lynch gets back on track and makes me look like an idiot for even bringing this up.

You are getting ahead of yourself on Marshawn. He has played well through injury in the past.

OP
OP
E

edogg23

Reaction score
Basis4day":2xzenny9 said:
Prior to this season, he had 13.5 Million in Dead Money (8.5 is his cap number this year assuming he is on the team) left to be accounted for on his deal. You don't just get to spend that money.

Rawls was unproven and has only played one game. They drafted 3 O-Lineman. If they wanted either of those O-Lineman you suggested they could have signed them. They weren't that expensive.

At this point, no you wouldn't be better off.
I was talking about the Hawks sighing o-linemen instead of signing the new contract extension in March that you mention above. The other surprising thing I saw was Lynch will have 5 million in dead cap space next year. Considering I don't think too many people actually expect him to play beyond this year makes me wonder why they structured the deal that way.

OP
OP
E

edogg23

Reaction score
mikeak":wbwodhkw said:
^ if he elects to retire the money comes off the books
It's not that simple, I've read articles saying the Hawks probably already worked something out saying they won't take his signing bonus back if he retires which would mean the dead money would stay. Otherwise why wouldn't he just half ass it into camp next year and force the Hawks to cut him and accomplish the same thing.

Chapow

Reaction score
edogg23":8nm1mklg said:
mikeak":8nm1mklg said:
^ if he elects to retire the money comes off the books
Otherwise why wouldn't he just half ass it into camp next year and force the Hawks to cut him and accomplish the same thing.

Because he has self respect and integrity.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Someone asked this question on the Clayton show today. His answer was that it's hard to find top tier OL. If you take the 8+ mil and spread that over 2 or 3 lineman you, according to John, don't get top tier and you would only marginally improve.

That said, if Rawls proves to be a keeper, (and ofcourse we're a long way from knowing that after one game) it seems a real possibility that this will be Lynch's last year. I'm no cap expert, but it looks like that would give them 11 mil to sign other players. With Pete and JS's history I'll be surprised if that goes to an OL, but it I think it would make me feel better having a bit more protection for RW.