Dean Blandino

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
The Vice President of officiating is on NFL network. Clearly stating that he thought it was a "bat" ( on KJ end of game). I have never heard a front office officials calling out their own refs. This is unbelievable. He has given the media a major headline tomorrow.

At the very least it was close and it is a subjective call. What a douche. Kam made Calvin Johnson fumble the ball, that's the story. Detroit should not have even been in that situation. They were not robbed! Total BS.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":ueg70jgo said:
The Vice President of officiating is on NFL network. Clearly stating that he thought it was a "bat" ( on KJ end of game). I have never heard a front office officials calling out their own refs. This is unbelievable. He has given the media a major headline tomorrow.

At the very least it was close and it is a subjective call. What a douche. Kam made Calvin Johnson fumble the ball, that's the story. Detroit should not have even been in that situation. They were not robbed! Total BS.

This does not happen if this game was played in Cowboy Stadium.

Simple Fact.

I hate playing that card, but its really clear.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Caller:.''Hey Dean, let's review this tape of super bowl XL.''

Here's a quarter, call someone who cares biatches.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Bats happen.

I blame it on Nelson Cruz raising the flag.

I've seen a hundred punters and qb's bat the ball out of bounds and it's never been called.

Who cares. We won.

NINEster

Reaction score
The NFL ruled that the 49ers commited PI on the Giants in that notorious 2002 wildcard game where a muffed snap on a field goal turned into an almost miraculous win.

League apologized the day after, and Giants' fans have seemingly never forgotten that play.

Not the first time the league has discussed a call after the fact.

OP
OP
seahawkfreak

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
JSeahawks":16uf4tmi said:
Bats happen.

I blame it on Nelson Cruz raising the flag.

I've seen a hundred punters and qb's bat the ball out of bounds and it's never been called.

Who cares. We won.
Good call. I got caught up in the " refs gave us the win". Thought our defense played to well to be tarnished

endzorn

Reaction score
We got away with one. It may have been completely inconsequential, but a rule is a rule and we got away with one. Rather than worry about whether or not public opinion will validate the win, how about we worry about how bad the Bengals are going to violate our passing game?

Polaris

Reaction score
endzorn":16dszjl1 said:
We got away with one. It may have been completely inconsequential, but a rule is a rule and we got away with one. Rather than worry about whether or not public opinion will validate the win, how about we worry about how bad the Bengals are going to violate our passing game?

It ticks me off that ESPN is making a mountain out of a molehill by focusing on what was the least important part of a great defensive play AND not getting the rule right to boot (sound familiar)? The rule specifically states that it's the OFFICIAL that makes the determination of what's intentional and what's not, and the official in question had a crystal clear view of the play. Game OVER.

JimmyG

Reaction score
JSeahawks":cziyr1yz said:
Those situations are not remotely comparable. When a punter or a QB bats the ball out of the end zone, their team incurs a safety and the opposition then gets possession of the ball on a safety kick. Conversely, we directly benefited from this act. It's completely different.

We won, and that's all that matters. But let's not try to sweep this under the rug and pretend it doesn't matter. If it happened to us, we'd be furious.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Surprised they could reach Deano, he is usually high out of his gourd on crazy uncle Jerruh's party bus!

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Lions fans won't care. In fact they're probably happy.

All their injuries, and o-line issues. They've got the whiff of the #1 pick this year.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
JimmyG":1pprjnd7 said:
JSeahawks":1pprjnd7 said:
Those situations are not remotely comparable. When a punter or a QB bats the ball out of the end zone, their team incurs a safety and the opposition then gets possession of the ball on a safety kick. Conversely, we directly benefited from this act. It's completely different.

We won, and that's all that matters. But let's not try to sweep this under the rug and pretend it doesn't matter. If it happened to us, we'd be furious.

What advantage did KJ gain?

He could have just as easily just grabbed it and thats that.

Probably one of the many reasons why no penalty was called.

We didnt get away with anything, no call was the proper choice there.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3rirzo2m said:
JimmyG":3rirzo2m said:
JSeahawks":3rirzo2m said:

that's why I was saying letter of the law, illegal.

Spirit of the Law. perfectly legal.

It's why it is a JUDGEMENT call by the ref.

Refs call lots of penalties when advatage gained and swallow them if it is of no consqequence.

The travesty would've been to call it a penalty.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
JimmyG":3txagh3e said:
JSeahawks":3txagh3e said:

No we wouldn't because it's inconsequential. The ball was fumbled into the end zone by the Lions and was about to go out of bounds meaning it would have been a touchback. Overall it's a stupid rule and should be removed from the game for this exact reason of causing unnecessary drama.

I don't know whats worse the fact that our team played like crap or the fact that the last play overshadowed the horrible game on offense.

Nice play by Kam, cool. He may have saved the season.

I really wonder where this team stands as far as this being a "team" game. I'm still hearing a lot of selfish stupid talk in front of the camera, it's weird. Shut up and play ball.

Exittium

Reaction score
Smellyman":2h6p7sdm said:
Hawkpower":2h6p7sdm said:
JimmyG":2h6p7sdm said:
JSeahawks":2h6p7sdm said:

that's why I was saying letter of the law, illegal.

Spirit of the Law. perfectly legal.

It's why it is a JUDGEMENT call by the ref.

Refs call lots of penalties when advatage gained and swallow them if it is of no consqequence.

The travesty would've been to call it a penalty.

:13: :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs:

Seafan

Reaction score
Dean is wrong once again. He forgets that it is a judgement call. He stepped in it.

Rob12

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1gvt4ca7 said:

Close?

Look man, I'm damn proud to get that W. But KJ batted out intentionally. 99 percent of us didn't even know that was an actual rule until now. It's an obscure one, and I'd guess that most players in the league didn't know it was a rule either.

We were not given a win, but a non-call shot our win probability through the roof. I'm good with that. But KJ absolutely batted that ball intentionally to get the TB called, and it worked.

The ref said he thought it was inadvertent. I'm guessing he didn't know the rule either. And he was just covering his ***.

Polaris

Reaction score
Rob12":3kgh7uig said:
seahawkfreak":3kgh7uig said:

Close?

Look man, I'm damn proud to get that W. But KJ batted out intentionally. 99 percent of us didn't even know that was an actual rule until now. It's an obscure one, and I'd guess that most players in the league didn't know it was a rule either.

We were not given a win, but a non-call shot our win probability through the roof. I'm good with that. But KJ absolutely batted that ball intentionally to get the TB called, and it worked.

The ref said he thought it was inadvertent. I'm guessing he didn't know the rule either. And he was just covering his ***.

Either way it's a JUDGEMENT call by the official in question who say the entire play in full view. If it wasn't a penalty in the judgement of the official (for whatever the real reason was), then it isn't a penalty. Otherwise holding would be called on every play in football.

Rob12

Reaction score
"If it happened to us we'd be furious."

Exactly. I know I would. We got bailed out by ignorance of the rule book, IMO. Or at the very least, the ref knew the rule but just couldn't process it because it's so rare.