Is it on Russell tonight?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I believe this is a fair question after watching the O tonight.

RW held the ball too long on several occasions and by doing so caused turnovers when strip sacked. He single handedly gave up the lead. His accuracy tonight was off more than it has been all year. Yes he made some great plays and awesome passes on the run, but he missed many key throws or was off target a lot tonight. He has not been 'on' all season consistently, but fairly is better when let alone to improvise than with whatever Bevell calls. However the leash is short for him and he is afraid of getting rid of the ball or throwing any contested passes

Is he being fairly protected? Not even close by any metric. Tonight the OLine regressed and seriously sucked big time. Okung was almost as bad as Gilliam. They got RW sacked 6 times tonight. That stat is abominable, even if RW contributed. The run blocking against a D that was decimated was farging awful. Wilson has been sacked 12 times in 4 games and that stat is

Our esteemed OC failed to adjust or exploit the different edge blitzes or to design protections against them, Same OL' same OL'.

Tonight the absence of the run put pressure on the passing game and the lack of protection was not helped by RW's inaccuracy or by the failure of the OC to exploit the edges of the inside zone when the blitzes happened. In short both RW and Bevell failed to beat the blitz.

For me this was by far his worst game as a pro. Still have not seen enough from Bevell to believe he has got the stuff to be more than barely adequate, but Russell is better than he was tonight.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
A good game was called. Just missed capitalizing on those opportunities, but a win's a win

Smellyman

Reaction score
20/26...287 yards 1 td and no picks while under siege from the worst OL I have ever seen.

40 yards rushing and some magical plays and two maddening fumbles, while under siege!

shouldve been sacked a dozen more times tonight and no other qb imo wouldve been as near as productive as RW tonight.

davidonmi

Reaction score
some of it was on him, some of it wasn't.
the 1st fumble imo was on the snap, the 2nd was on him

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
He didn't have his best game, no.

However, he's not the problem.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Totally agree a W is a W and any W is far from ugly even if this one was a squeaker. No W is genuinely ugly.

I appreciate many think RW can do no wrong but he was 'off' tonight.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Inaccurate? How many bad throws did he have? I can think of one, which was a 3rd down I'll grant you, to Lockett. So there's one of the six incompletions. One was on a miracle scramble (that should've been caught if the receiver would've made a better effort), one was on a really tough seam throw to Willson, and there was a least 1 throwaway. That leaves two more that I can't account for. So let's say tops he had 3 inaccurate throws. Not bad for a dude who was getting his ass kicked.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Tonight along with a very weak show from the OLine I think RW was a big part of the disappointingly weak play of the O.

I totally agree that he got little design support from our blockhead OC, less from the OLine, but he failed on 3 or 4 occasions to make the throw that would have made the separation more than 3 points. He has made those throws in the past but not tonight.

He needed a miricale play from the D backed up to the goal to save his bacon and gave up a lot of huge plays tonight.

Fade

Reaction score
He has happy feet, and doesn't trust his protection. Would you?

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
However even when barely adequately protected RW missed the key completions that might have caused some critical upside score differential. A W is still a W thankfully and style points mean little but the O regressed some tonight to me.

Laloosh

Reaction score
287 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT 125.00 passer rating and "it" is on Russ, in a "win"?

Sometimes this place is really sad.

eeyore.jpg

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Laloosh":2mxnxx1i said:

eeyore.jpg
No just ridiculous. I suppose it'd be better to be sacked 5 times and throw for 350+ yards with a garbage TD and never actually be in the game like Alex Smith?

Rob12

Reaction score
It's not Russ. He does hold the ball too long at times. But my question is, how do you explain how terrible our offensive line plays on run plays? I watched them closely tonight and it's embarrassing how much they get pushed back and destroyed. Our RB's have very little time until multiple defenders are on top of them. And clear running lanes and holes? Non existent.

Laloosh

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1ett94gz said:
Laloosh":1ett94gz said:

eeyore.jpg
No just ridiculous. I suppose it'd be better to be sacked 5 times and throw for 350+ yards with a garbage TD and never actually be in the game like Alex Smith?

Or Andrew Luck, who had the worst passer rating in the league through three games with more INT than TDs. Oh well, at least he's tall.

Rob12

Reaction score
That 3rd and 12 pass to Kearse... That's what people need to watch. That play had no damn business being anything but a sack. Instead, it was a big gain. And the ensuing play was a beautiful TD pass to ADB.

People who doubt Russ need to get some perspective. We lose this game with anyone else.