At what point does the poor technique argument fail?

ludakrishna

Reaction score
This organization, media and fan base have given Tom Cable a pass. The latest excuse being Olineman from college don't have good technique. Therefore lets convert Defensive players to play the OLine. At what point will this bluff be called? I would much rather have Olineman that have the ability to block and recognize blitzes, albeit with poor technique over Olineman with perfect technique but with the lack of ability to block. By the time our projects become average, we won't have the cap to sign them and the wheel begins all over again. NE signed a rookie Center off the street that is currently starting for them along with a rookie Guard drafted in the 4th round. Why are they not struggling? Could it be that those two guys actually played the position in college?

I would much rather have players on the OLine that play average, average, average over a 3 year span rather than conversion projects that play dumpster fire, garbage, below average only to become average and above average after leaving our team.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if guys like Gruden even understand what they are saying themselves.
In one sentence they praise Cable and call the dude an innovator and out of the box thinker.
Throughout the night, they see how our O-Line gets abused snap after snap after snap by very average D-Linemen and cast-offs. These people need to listen to themselves for a minute.
Our O-Line was embarrassed at home yesterday almost on every snap.
Watching yesterday's game, I now see the value of Lynch. Every time Rawls wasn't caught behind the line of scrimmage was a success.
Compare that to Green Bay or New England, where QBs always have lots of time to throw the ball.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The former player analysts don't seem to have a problem saying it.

justafan

Reaction score
Either he is an idiot at talent evaluation or he is an idiot as a coach.

Who drafts 2 players in the 4th who get beat out by college TEs and DLineman.

Who starts a 7th rnd DL pick over a 3rd rnd pick

Who passes on two average veterans with exp at center and starts a DL at center.

An ex Raider thats who

The guy has never had any sustained success anywhere in his career.Claim to fame is Al Davis was dumb enough to make him head coach.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I got quite a kick out of the segment from Gruden where he pointed out that most of our OL didn't start out as OL, like it was some kind of innovative revelation. I just laughed and said "yeah and they suck ass." I'm sure he's a good coach, but their approach is failing.

It's sad when getting offensive players to play offense for your team is the novel idea.